Author Topic: Gary Sheffield Knows All About Race  (Read 1073 times)

Gary Sheffield Knows All About Race
« Topic Start: June 03, 2007, 01:40:13 PM »
Sheffield says Latin players easier to control than blacks
ESPN.com news services
Updated: June 3, 2007, 11:29 AM ET

The percentage of African-Americans playing Major League Baseball is at an all-time low and Gary Sheffield says he has a theory why that's the case.

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

According to a 2005 report by the University of Central Florida Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, only 8.5 percent of major leaguers were African American -- the lowest percentage since the report was initiated in the mid-1980s. By contrast, whites comprised 59.5 percent of the majors' player pool, Latinos 28.7 percent and Asians 2.5.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Re: Gary Sheffield Knows All About Race
« Reply #1: June 03, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »
Geez...thanks for your powerful analysis and insight into why American black people don't like baseball anymore.  "They can't be controlled as well as spanish black people".  Barf.  Stick to being an athlete buddy...I think Philosopher is a little over your "skill set".   :roll:

Offline 2k6nats

• The regular season is a flat circle
« Reply #2: June 03, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »
Wow, he's a nutcase.  He recently got suspended for throwing the end of a broken bat at an ump :roll:

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070601&content_id=1998854&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: June 03, 2007, 08:42:56 PM »
nevermind all those statistics about participation at the youth levels being down

Offline vinnysmullet

« Reply #4: June 04, 2007, 06:18:21 PM »
Wow. What is this guy trying to do, start a 'race war,' for lack of a better term? Ugly, ugly stuff.

Plus, he talks like he's never met any Latin players. What--they don't demand respect? Don't have ideas about how a man should be treated? Huh????

« Reply #5: June 04, 2007, 06:23:49 PM »
I'm surprised the media is not all over this.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #6: June 04, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »
I'm surprised the media is not all over this.
I'm not, and I'll just leave it there.   :roll:

Offline joker

• zimmerman.....ryan zimmerman
« Reply #7: June 05, 2007, 12:45:04 PM »
and that is why he has been on numerous teams and has not been able to stay with a team for more then a few years

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: June 05, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »
and that is why he has been on numerous teams and has not been able to stay with a team for more then a few years

Nah, that's because they were not treating him like a man, and trying to control him.  Well, he wasn't having any of that! :roll:

Offline 2k6nats

• The regular season is a flat circle
« Reply #9: June 05, 2007, 02:58:04 PM »

Of course, there are a lot of journeymen players, but Sheffield had the talent to be a franchise player, but not the attitude.

« Reply #10: June 05, 2007, 05:37:15 PM »
Jim Rome finally had the nuts to say something about this situation finally and had a whole segment on his show devoted to what he is calling the "Sheffield Backlash" which is fast approaching.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #11: June 05, 2007, 11:28:41 PM »
Blacks don't like baseball because they are trained by their parents to think that baseball is a boring sport that only white people like, and are instead are pushed towards "black" sports like basketball.

Offline kimnat

• Special Event Co-Chair w/ Erica!
« Reply #12: June 06, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »
huh!  I didn't know that!  Why does that thought exist?  Now, I can understand that thought for lacrosse, but I always saw baseball as an "everyone sport".