Author Topic: Senators2005 Super Dee Duper Photography Thread  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Sens, I didn't see you last night at the game, did you make it?  We gonna see some pics?
I was there...right in the seat I told you I'd be.  Where were you?   :lol:  I didn't take my camera last night because of the forecast for thunderstorms.  I could have taken my wife's cheap one, but I decided just to go and enjoy the game instead.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Spent yesterday at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, VA...and Mason Neck the day before. 
Here's some photos for everybody to brighten your day!

Offline kimnat

Good golly!  You are one awesome photographer!!!  I love the bee suckingout the nectar!

Offline saltydad

Wonderful shots Sens! If anyone is up in my neck of the woods, I heartily recommend you go visit Brookside Gardens in Wheaton. I took Mom up there Saturday, and we did the Butterfly tour. Hundreds of butterflies from the Northern and Southern Hemispheres flying freely all around you in a tropical plant paradise. I wish I had your skills (and your camera :lol:) so I could capture the stunning beauty. The gardens themselves are also amazing.

Offline kimnat

My mother-in-law loves that place!!!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
wow, im impressed!

those pic's look like they are in HD...

amazing!

:worship:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
The Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul is located at the intersection of Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenue NW, and is more commonly known as the Washington National Cathedral.  It is the sixth-largest cathedral in the world and second-largest in the United States (the largest being St. John's Cathedral in New York) and took 83 years to complete using midieval architecture techniques.

Offline kimnat

I love those pics!!!  That last one reminds me of a kaleidescope!  And the contrasts in light and darks in the one above that are phenomenal, not to mention perfectly artistic!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
I love those pics!!!  That last one reminds me of a kaleidescope!  And the contrasts in light and darks in the one above that are phenomenal, not to mention perfectly artistic!
The last one (you can also see it in pic #3) is the stained glass centerpiece & "pride & joy" of the cathedral.  It is called "Creation" and has ten petals and over 10,500 peices of glass.  It changes color at different times of the day and during the different seasons of the year.  It is truly amazing...a photograph doesn't do it justice.

I encourage anybody regardless of their beliefs to check out the National Cathedral - it's free, open to everyone and it will take your breath away.

:arrow: http://www.cathedral.org/cathedral/index.shtml

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
In relation to the last pics I posted...here's the other big church in Washington - The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception Holy Basilica.  It's on the campus of Catholic University right up North Capital Street.  Again, I strongly recommend this as a place that every person should take the time and go visit.  I'm not catholic myself - but this church gives me goose pimples when I walk in the door.

Offline saltydad

Another wonderfully spiritual place is the Franciscan Monastery.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Great shots, and with some excellent perspective in some of them... Nice job

In the third picture (taken from behind the last row of pews) maybe I missed something, a memo or whatever, but I've always been brought up that males never wear a hat, cap or other form of head covering in church? Had my Gran was still alive and saw that, she would have boxed his ears then flipped off his cap while giving him one stern (almost deadly) glare.

Offline saltydad

My mother-in-law loves that place!!!

It's only about 5 minutes drive from me! Where's your in-laws?

Offline kimnat

She used to live in Wheaton/Silver Spring, exactly behind the old Ames.  Now she's down in Purcellville.  Father in law died about 7 years ago now.

Offline kimnat

Great shots, and with some excellent perspective in some of them... Nice job

In the third picture (taken from behind the last row of pews) maybe I missed something, a memo or whatever, but I've always been brought up that males never wear a hat, cap or other form of head covering in church? Had my Gran was still alive and saw that, she would have boxed his ears then flipped off his cap while giving him one stern (almost deadly) glare.

You're right.  That's a huge no no!  Obviously just tourists.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
You're right.  That's a huge no no!  Obviously just tourists.

Ohhhh Tourists... He must be the type that would say, "Let's go in here hun, we can sit in the back and neck, while the kid plays with his dinosaurs."

Offline kimnat

lol!!!!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Why is it Gentlemen are supposed to remove their caps but women can wear them?  I'm not Catholic and it also happens before the STAR SPANGLED BANNER IS SUNG at ballgames.

:-[  I just don't know.

Thanks

Offline kimnat

because it's been part of our culture in the past for that women were supposed to wear hats.  It was proper etiquette for women to keep their heads covered and a lady always did that.  Times have changed and that's no longer the case, just as it used to be improper to wear short skirts and low necklines.

natsfan1a

I'm not sure because back in the day it was common for men to wear hats, too. Seems like these days many (most?) women take off their hats/caps during the anthem. I know I do.

Anyway, great pix, as usual!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Delving deeper into the Basilica, on the lower level there is a separate worship area for daily masses and special services: this area is called the The Crypt Church which sits directly underneath the main altar you saw in the previous photos...

Crypt Church

Also within the church are several prayer altars and portals, each with a separate meaning and origin.  Several countries thoughout the world have their own personal patron grottos honoring Mary and reflecting the origins of the Catholic immigrants and religious orders whose generosity erected them.

This one is titled "Our Lady of Good Voyage" which comes from the Philippines and is patron Marion image of the Philippine town of Antipolo...

This one is "Our Lady of Ireland"...any Irish Catholics out there?  That's St. Patrick on the wall.   8)

India ("Our Lady of ValKanni")...

Latin Ameria ("Our Lady of Guadalupe")...

Viet Nam ("Our Lady of La Vang")...

Lithuania ("Our Lady of Siluva")

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
"In relation to the last pics I posted...here's the other big church in Washington - The National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception Holy Basilica.  It's on the campus of Catholic University right up North Capital Street.  Again, I strongly recommend this as a place that every person should take the time and go visit.  I'm not catholic myself - but this church gives me goose pimples when I walk in the door."

I always thought it a fairly homely building from the outside, but as Sens has captured so well, it is spectacular on the inside.  And agree with Ken on the guy with the hat, that is very disrespectful.  Even though Catholics tend to be much more casual with their attire than mainstream Protestant faiths, you don't see baseball hats during mass too often.  Very declasse.  One exception I can think of from my own experience, masses in Nags Head (Outer Banks, NC) tend to be extremely informal for the beach going vacationers, everyone in flip flops, shorts and t-shirts.

Offline kimnat

Yeah, that's one of my big complaints about churches today.  Too laid back.  Granted, the important thing is getting people there and helping them "get right" with God.  That's definitely more important than their attire.  But the attire part should come along as a way of showing respect to God.  At least that's my opinion.  I would never hold it against anyone for dressing informally for church.  I just think it's better to dress more respectably.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
I shot these at the Patuxent Wildlife Refuge in Maryland last week before going to the Baysox game:

I call this particular one "Teamwork"...

A Grasshopper

A Water Lily

A Friendly Red-Bellied Woodpecker