Poll

Should Brandon Watson get another chance to start in CF?

Yes
4 (23.5%)
No
13 (76.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Should the Nationals give Brandon Watson another chance?  (Read 657 times)

Offline sportsfan882

I'm sure everyone remembers him from last year when he won the CF job out of ST only to be sent back down to AAA within a month.  Well, currently he is hitting very well in Columbus and the Nats have a big void in CF.  Watson is also fairly young at 25 years old. 

From Nationals.com:

WASHINGTON -- Entering Saturday's action, Triple-A Columbus outfielder Brandon Watson found himself on a 29-game hitting streak, which is the longest in club history.

Whether this current hot streak helps him get back to the big leagues is another matter. The Nationals are currently set with Nook Logan in center and Ryan Langerhans as the backup.

"I'm the same player, but I realize that in order to be successful at a higher level, you have to be aggressive and have to change a little bit," Watson said. "I have to be aggressive and get a good pitch to hit. If look at my numbers, I've always been successful at the Minor League level. It's the Major League level where I want to be successful.

Watson has been given three chances to succeed in the Major Leagues. He was twice called up in 2005, but wasn't given much of a chance because then-manager Frank Robinson felt more comfortable playing a veteran like Preston Wilson during the Wild Card race.

Last year, however, Watson was the Opening Day center fielder, beating out Ryan Church. But by late April, Watson was sent down to Triple-A New Orleans after going 5-for-28 with one stolen base and no runs scored. While he refused to make excuses about his struggles in 2006, Watson played with a deep bruise in his left knee and didn't go on the disabled list until after he was sent to New Orleans. Watson hurt the knee toward the end of Spring Training.

"It hindered my running," said Watson. "It wasn't enough to sit out, but I should have said something about it."

After the season, Watson signed with the Tigers, but he was released before Spring Training ended. A few days later, Jim Bowden called Watson and told him there was a spot for him on the Triple-A roster.

"Jim said he didn't care why I was released. He wanted me to return to the Nationals organization," Watson said.

Watson's Numbers in Columbus this season:
.329 AVG (57/173), .364 OBP, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 0 HR, 11 RBIs, 9 Stolen Bases

My answer: No.  I am getting tired of this guy.  He has had three chances (FR and no FR) to light up the Majors but he hardly can create a spark.  Not even Detroit thought he was worth it.  Great, he has a 29 game hit streak with 11 RBI and 0 HR....in Columbus.  Big difference between Columbus and DC and the types of players he is facing.  There is a reason his number is 00.

On the other hand, as with the pitching rotation, our options are limited so we might not have much choice.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Maybe we should wait a couple more weeks before making that move. I suspect Logan's days are numbered so perhaps they'll give him a look then before moving in another direction.

Offline KyleScha

No. He can't get on base. He's not really that fast. He isn't very good defensively. I'd rather have Nook...he's faster and plays better D.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
No. He can't get on base. He's not really that fast. He isn't very good defensively. I'd rather have Nook...he's faster and plays better D.

He's fast, no doubt.  But he can't hit, and he's average defensively.

Offline KyleScha

He's fast, but he isn't Nook Logan fast. Soriano was faster than him, and Soriano has nothing on Nook (who is probably in the top 5 fastest guys in the MLB...10.8 seconds on a triple from the right side.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
He's fast, but he isn't Nook Logan fast. Soriano was faster than him, and Soriano has nothing on Nook (who is probably in the top 5 fastest guys in the MLB...10.8 seconds on a triple from the right side.

That's insane :shock: