Author Topic: Wild Card watch  (Read 30315 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Wild Card watch
« Reply #100: August 09, 2019, 02:32:44 PM »
Why is there a Mets fan here?

JCA has a history of being Stan Kasten-like and rolling out the red carpet and favoring opponent team fans (shocking considering he's a red sox fan). :stir:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #101: August 09, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »

JCA has a history of being Stan Kasten-like and rolling out the red carpet and favoring opponent team fans (shocking considering he's a red sox fan). :stir:

General rule now on fans of other teams being members is it is acceptable as long as they recognize this is a board for Nats fans and that they can't taunt or otherwise troll.  We've had good fans of the ChiSox and other teams who have joined and who have worked out because they don't troll. 

And, of course coming from me, there's a fair number of "dual loyalty" fans who are fans of a team in the AL or in another division who are also fans of the Nats.  There's a lot of back and forth about this, but dual-loyalty isn't automatically trolling in the judgment of folks who ran this board before I became a mod and even invited me to be one.  Basically, as long as you avoid Tribetime behavior, this is accepted.

Ah, reminiscing about TribeTime.  I wonder if he made it to the Southern Rock New Years's Cruise with the Fake Skynyrd.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #102: August 09, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
Probing question.

Probably not the kind that would put you in a coma in the parking lot either.
Careful, big dog. You dont know his history....

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #103: August 09, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »

:lmao:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #104: August 09, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »

I cane for the recruitment bonus I got.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #105: August 09, 2019, 10:33:44 PM »
Lol at the Mets being fait accompli. Have you looked at their schedule? They have ONE series against a sub .500 team between now and the middle of September. Compare that to the ONE series they have had against a team over .500 since the All-Star Break.

This board is crazy sometimes. The Mets?
So far, they're handling the .500+ team rather well.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #106: August 09, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »
Cursed team.  Over.

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #107: August 09, 2019, 10:40:33 PM »
Remember this game as the one that broke them.

It’s embarrassing.

You build a crap bullpen, you will get crap results no matter how good the rest of the team is.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #108: August 09, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »
Close all threads and forum.  Team is over.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #109: August 09, 2019, 10:45:24 PM »
Close all threads and forum.  Team is over.
If this team can win tomorrow -- that's the only way to recover from this type of thing.  Otherwise it will spiral out of control.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #110: August 10, 2019, 10:00:52 PM »
Mets are going to be top wildcard by this time tomorrow. They face a struggling Atlanta team this week and then the crappy Royals next weekend. Mets refuse to lose.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #111: August 10, 2019, 10:04:40 PM »
Mets are winning the WS.  Let's just face it.  Nats might compete in 15-20 years.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #112: August 10, 2019, 10:14:26 PM »
This was the game the Nats needed to win.  It's not going to happen tomorrow.  With the Brewers and Cardinals winning today, the worst case scenario is coming to pass.  Davey needs to take the hit for this, even if it's not his fault.  It's time to spend some money on a manager with gravitas. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #113: August 20, 2019, 10:33:06 PM »
Bad night:

Nats blow another late lead and lose.
Cubs win.
Cardinals win.
Phillies win.
Mets win.
And just for good measure, Braves win.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #114: August 20, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
I sleep well at night knowing the Nats will be hosting the wildcard game on October 1st. I don’t know what you guys are worried about. Scherzer’s coming back and will dominate down the stretch run. Despite the occasional gut punch loss, this team has been on fire for 3 months. If they can win the wildcard, there’s no telling how far they can go. Who’s beating Scherzer, Stras, and Corbin?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #115: August 21, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
I sleep well at night knowing the Nats will be hosting the wildcard game on October 1st. I don’t know what you guys are worried about. Scherzer’s coming back and will dominate down the stretch run. Despite the occasional gut punch loss, this team has been on fire for 3 months. If they can win the wildcard, there’s no telling how far they can go. Who’s beating Scherzer, Stras, and Corbin?

Evidence points to our bullpen.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #116: August 21, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »

Keep carrying that SSS banner, brother. Some of us are getting beaten down.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #117: August 21, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
I sleep well at night knowing the Nats will be hosting the wildcard game on October 1st. I don’t know what you guys are worried about. Scherzer’s coming back and will dominate down the stretch run.

What if it's a race to the wire and we have to use Scherzer and Strasburg the last two games to secure a wildcard spot.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #118: August 22, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
Bad night:

Nats blow another late lead and lose.
Cubs win.
Cardinals win.
Phillies win.
Mets win.
And just for good measure, Braves win.

The push is ON from these teams.  For the second night in a row, the only team to lose was the loser of the St. Louis/Milwaukee game.  The Mets have some magic going at home, and the Phillies take 2 from Boston.  Damn.   The Cubs are also a different at home vs away.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #119: August 22, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »
The push is ON from these teams.  For the second night in a row, the only team to lose was the loser of the St. Louis/Milwaukee game.  The Mets have some magic going at home, and the Phillies take 2 from Boston.  Damn.   The Cubs are also a different at home vs away.

I suppose it's still better than being 19-31, in 4th place and planning a fire sale.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #120: August 22, 2019, 08:16:04 AM »
I suppose it's still better than being 19-31, in 4th place and planning a fire sale.
Disagree. This team is a pretender and that winning streak deluded everyone into thinking that it wasn't. With Martinez at the helm, it's going no where. We'll watch Rendon leave and Max waste his best years here, accomplishing nothing.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #121: August 22, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
True enough, but since falling to 19-31, we have gone 50-26 and yet only gained 2.5 games on the Braves.  It's wildcard or bust for us.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #122: August 22, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »
Team is in a race and everyone still nagin. If they win the wild card playing the Dodgers won’t be easy. However it will be a five game series which gives the underdog more of a chance. Then it would be Atlanta or one of them central team.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #123: August 22, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »
Disagree. This team is a pretender and that winning streak deluded everyone into thinking that it wasn't. With Martinez at the helm, it's going no where. We'll watch Rendon leave and Max waste his best years here, accomplishing nothing.
I just don't see baseball as "championship or bust" like some other sports like hockey.   The regular season is still meaningful in baseball, and it is exciting watching a team in a wild card race and hanging in the pennant race.  They play 162 games, and I try to watch most of them, and I am really enjoying these August/Sept games that matter in the standings.   

Being in 4th place and selling everyone off doesn't guarantee a championship team in a few years anyway.   I'd say our odds of winning the world Series from the wild card this year than the odds of winning a world series in the next 5 years out of a full rebuild.   If our big 3 pitchers are healthy, and one or two of the Dodgers are having health issues, then I like our chances.   Corbin should match up well against the Dodgers if we use him twice.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #124: August 22, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
I just don't see baseball as "championship or bust" like some other sports like hockey.   The regular season is still meaningful in baseball, and it is exciting watching a team in a wild card race and hanging in the pennant race.  They play 162 games, and I try to watch most of them, and I am really enjoying these August/Sept games that matter in the standings.   

Being in 4th place and selling everyone off doesn't guarantee a championship team in a few years anyway.   I'd say our odds of winning the world Series from the wild card this year than the odds of winning a world series in the next 5 years out of a full rebuild.   If our big 3 pitchers are healthy, and one or two of the Dodgers are having health issues, then I like our chances.   Corbin should match up well against the Dodgers if we use him twice.
I'm glad you can enjoy them, but I find the enjoyment of them less fulfilling as we get further and further away from the 2012 Shutdown Decision. We fired a guy who managed this team to 97 wins  because he didn't get past the NLDS.

I'd rather set this team up for a real chance at significant postseason succes than try and be happy with losing a WC game.