Author Topic: 2019 Trade Season  (Read 885 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
2019 Trade Season
« Topic Start: July 13, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »
Figured I’d start a thread for non Nats trades leading up to the deadline.

First is Andrew Cashner to the Red Sox. Orioles get back two rookies who made debuts this year in the Dominican Summer League.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2019 Trade Season
« Reply #1: July 14, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
Personally, I am shocked that Dombrowski would trade prospects who the Sox gave bonuses to but are years away for a marginal 4th / 5th starter who isn't better than their hector Velasquez/ Brian Johnson types. I am sure this will marginally improve their position among the As, Rangers , Indians, and Rays for the wild card!

[in fairness, Cashner is better than the guys he's replacing.  I'm not sure how much more likely the Sox are to win a WC spot with him than without].

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #2: July 17, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
Personally, I am shocked that Dombrowski would trade prospects who the Sox gave bonuses to but are years away for a marginal 4th / 5th starter who isn't better than their hector Velasquez/ Brian Johnson types. I am sure this will marginally improve their position among the As, Rangers , Indians, and Rays for the wild card!

[in fairness, Cashner is better than the guys he's replacing.  I'm not sure how much more likely the Sox are to win a WC spot with him than without].

Turn it on its head: why would you accept in trade a pair of 17 year olds who a major league organization paid decent money for, looked at for a year, and then was already fine cutting ties with?  They're lottery tickets at best.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: July 17, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
Turn it on its head: why would you accept in trade a pair of 17 year olds who a major league organization paid decent money for, looked at for a year, and then was already fine cutting ties with?  They're lottery tickets at best.
I'm not so much calling it a bad deal for either team as saying Dombrowski always is willing to burn prospects for marginal upgrades.  He's tapped out their system.  He's relied on minor league FA signings for key bullpen and depth roles.  It worked last year when Brasier was a find, Velasquez took key innings, Pearce performed like Joe Hardy, and Eduardo Nunez was not an embarrassment.  I don't think what he does is sustainable even if John Henry is willing to spend right up to the max lux tax penalty level.

Is a marginal improvement in a competitive wild card race worth lottery tickets?  Coming off a world series and 4 in the past 15 years, I'm thinking there's enough good will that he could go in a different direction. OTOH, Cashner throws hard and they do have team control, and he's a lot cheaper than Porcello next year.

Dombo makes a few  WTF deals (Tyler Thornburg), but rarely is one absurd when viewed by itself.  It's the body of work that I think leaves teams high salaried and stripped.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: July 17, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
If/when the Red Sox downturn due to lack of system depth he'll just move on to another big-market team and do the same thing.

Wait, that's us. crap! :lmao:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: July 17, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »
If/when the Red Sox downturn due to lack of system depth he'll just move on to another big-market team and do the same thing.

Tigers say hello.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: July 17, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »

well, if JD doesn't get 40 HRs, that'll help because he can't opt out. They made a good move locking up Bogaerts, Devers looks like the real deal, and Vasquez is a nice piece, but they stand to maybe lose Bradley and Mookie after next year.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #7: July 18, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »
The Red Sox seem to constantly be bringing All Star caliber players up from their minor leagues. They're one of the organizations I most envy for being able to consistently produce productive MLB players without having to enter a rebuilding phase, alongside the Cardinals. Red Sox fans complaining about trading prospects seems decadent to me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: July 18, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
The Red Sox seem to constantly be bringing All Star caliber players up from their minor leagues. They're one of the organizations I most envy for being able to consistently produce productive MLB players without having to enter a rebuilding phase, alongside the Cardinals. Red Sox fans complaining about trading prospects seems decadent to me.
yes and no.  Cherington held onto prospects perhaps too tightly, but since Dombo, the depth of the system has been tapped out.  Chavis was a 'roid busted power corner infielder who was I think a low 100s guy.  After an initial hot month, he's back down to Earth.  Devers and Benintendi came up a 3 years ago initially, I think.  Turner, Soto, and Robles are hands down better.  They've come up with no valuable pitchers, so I'm not sure they have better development than the Rays.  As for Toronto, it's early, but they seem to have incredible talent. 

The big prospect for player that'll put you over the top moves were the Kimbrel and Sale trades.  The cost was Moncada, Kopech, Assuaje, Margot, and I forget what other pieces.  They traded their best pitching prospect in years for Pomeranz (the kid ended hurting his arm but is still high in the SD organization).  They moved Shaw and some other good pieces for Thornburg (easily his worst trade).  I forget some of his other prospect dumps, but the system is just not as productive as when it had Bradley, Betts, Bogaerts etc... in it, plus the ones I named, plus Chavis I think in low minors, etc...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: July 18, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
Is Mookie going to be in a different uniform when his contract is up? Nashville needs an expansion team ASAP so he can be the face of it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: July 18, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
Is Mookie going to be in a different uniform when his contract is up? Nashville needs an expansion team ASAP so he can be the face of it.
Bradley, Betts, and JD are the big ones who may be gone among the position players. Holt, Pearce, Moreland, plus Porcello and Barnes among the pitchers.  Maybe Eovaldi too. Darwinzon Hernandez and Cashner are the potential backfills on the staff, but I can't think of position players.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: July 27, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »
A’s get Diekman from Royals for two prospects.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: July 28, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
Eric Sogard to the Rays

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: July 28, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
Marcus Stroman to the Mets.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: July 28, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
Marcus Stroman to the Mets.
mets or yanks?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Online Slateman

« Reply #16: July 28, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »
Yes, the New York Metropolitans

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: July 28, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »
I am surprised

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #18: July 28, 2019, 09:26:28 PM »
Speculation is that the Mets GM took stroman off the market to drive up the price for thor or wheeler, or he’s an idiot.

Online Slateman

« Reply #19: July 29, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
http://www.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1155945272960098304

Vargas to the Phillies.  Like everyone predicted

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #20: August 14, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
Disn't know where to put this and it doesn't deserve its own thread. Why did Freddy Galvis get released from the Jays?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: August 14, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »
Disn't know where to put this and it doesn't deserve its own thread. Why did Freddy Galvis get released from the Jays?
he makes money and they have Biggio - Bichette  - Guerrero at 2d -SS - 3d.  He isn't going to play, they are out of contention, so why not do him a favor and let him go where he can help?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #22: August 14, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
he makes money and they have Biggio - Bichette  - Guerrero at 2d -SS - 3d.  He isn't going to play, they are out of contention, so why not do him a favor and let him go where he can help?
Thanks .....I guess that we had Cabrerra and because CincyS' record is worse than ours they had first shot at him.