Author Topic: Expos Throwback Day  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Expos Throwback Day
« Reply #75: June 28, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
Cary, NC...CARY=Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
No one cares about MLB baseball in the south. Need to find the city with the most northern transplants. And hipster doofuses. Nashville it is.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: June 28, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
I'm not standing for Oh Canada.
but you'll sing it because it is the top anthem as a song.  The French have the other great one.  I'd put G-d Save the Queen 3d, but that's mostly the Sex Pistols version.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #77: June 28, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
couldn't care less about the expos

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78: June 28, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »
This is a team that had a Cat-urday promotion for crying out loud. And a Star Wars Day. And people think this is dumb? There are Nats fans who are fans purely because of their tie to the Expos. On this board. They may not be you, but one game out of 82 seems like a small sacrifice. 
It is one game out of 1200 or so home games.I think it is just a check the box and they are done kind of one off.  If you were ever doing it, then the 25th anniversary of their best-record-in-MLB team is the time.  That said, I hope they get their own team and not just the Rays part time. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: June 28, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »
The Expos had a strong tradition of squandering talent and then trading it away right before it got great.

Larry Walker
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Vladimir Guerrero
Rondell White
Moises Alou
Andres Galaraga
Cliff Floyd
Carl Pavano
Kirk Rueter
Marquis Grissom
Delino DeShields
Andre Dawson

of course, it was DeShields that got them Pedro.  I would not call it a squander.  At least we got to see Jose Vidro ;)

• babble on
« Reply #80: June 28, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I can't believe that was 25 years ago!  And the Jays had just repeated WS titles.  Twas a good time to be a baseball fan in Canada. 

Come to think of it that was the same year that a Canadian team last won the Stanley cup.

[edit: never mind, that was '93.  '94 was the first Vancouver Game 7 loss/riot]

If you were ever doing it, then the 25th anniversary of their best-record-in-MLB team is the time.   

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: June 28, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »
I can't believe that was 25 years ago!  And the Jays had just repeated WS titles.  Twas a good time to be a baseball fan in Canada. 

Come to think of it that was the same year that a Canadian team last won the Stanley cup.

I thought it was for the 50th anniversary of the franchise.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: June 28, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
I thought it was for the 50th anniversary of the franchise.
both.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #83: June 29, 2019, 12:53:49 PM »
Seriously though, when can I expect these jerseys to be available on MLB.com? I am going to buy a Scherzer Expos jersey. Back in the day I considered having an Espinosa Expos jersey made for me in China and I'm glad for many reasons I did not go down that route.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #84: June 29, 2019, 01:37:16 PM »
Heard on The Fan that they're gonna play 1969 hit music at the Park.     Now I really wish I was gonna be in town.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85: June 29, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
Will Exposfan87's wife be at Steak of the Union? The ads are saying they will sell smoked meat.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #86: June 29, 2019, 07:04:59 PM »
JCA-CC, How about Gary Carter, Tim Wallach, and Tim Raines for your list?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: June 29, 2019, 08:36:09 PM »
JCA-CC, How about Gary Carter, Tim Wallach, and Tim Raines for your list?
It's Nats28's list, but those were other players lost because of money

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #88: June 29, 2019, 11:00:03 PM »
Heard on The Fan that they're gonna play 1969 hit music at the Park.     Now I really wish I was gonna be in town.
“Boom shaka-laka-laka Boom shaka-laka-laka” to that!!!   :metal:

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #89: June 29, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »

Not in town?

Far out

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #90: June 30, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »

Far out

Played that song in my DJ days (late 60s) and saw "Hair" at the Biltmore Theater (IIRC) in NYC on January 1, 1970   ....   what a decade the 70s were.      Truly psychedelic.     :)

• babble on
« Reply #91: July 05, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »
(bump)

Loverro haf a good whine about this gesture.  Wah. 

Who's going?

Offline blue911

« Reply #92: July 06, 2019, 07:39:12 AM »
(bump)

Loverro haf a good whine about this gesture.  Wah. 

Who's going?

Me.

I am fine with the Nationals celebrating their history. It just isn’t part of Washington’s. Hell the former Expo players don’t get old timers days or any of the other post career accolades that other players receive,so throwing the Expos a bone as fine.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #93: July 06, 2019, 07:54:38 AM »
Me.

I am fine with the Nationals celebrating their history. It just isn’t part of Washington’s. Hell the former Expo players don’t get old timers days or any of the other post career accolades that other players receive,so throwing the Expos a bone as fine.

+1

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #94: July 06, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
I saw the column in the Times complaining and saying the Rangers don’t do Senators stuff. Actually, they have—I’ve seen at least one game (I think against Baltimore, but I’m not sure) in which they wore Senators uniforms.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #95: July 06, 2019, 01:17:50 PM »
I saw the column in the Times complaining and saying the Rangers don’t do Senators stuff. Actually, they have—I’ve seen at least one game (I think against Baltimore, but I’m not sure) in which they wore Senators uniforms.

There was a photo of ARod wearing a Senators uni when he was still on the Rangers.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #96: July 06, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »
I think this is a cool nod to baseball history and the small group of Nats fans that are Expos holdovers, but if I was an Expos fan I'd be bothered by this. It is one game. It doesn't really matter. I'm fine if Montreal gets a team if the Nats "give" them their history. The Twins and Rangers should have "given" the Senators history to the Nats. History should stay with a city and the fans who lived it.

The Nationals leaderboard should have players like Walter Johnson and Frank Howard, not Dennis Martinez and Vlad Guerrero. Failing that, it should be Zimmerman, Strasburg, and Scherzer at top of the career leaderboard.

And that is no insult to the Expos, who have a fun history, great players, and top notch uniforms.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #97: July 06, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
I saw the uniforms today have the MLB 100th anniversary patch, like in 1969

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #98: July 06, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
I think this is a cool nod to baseball history and the small group of Nats fans that are Expos holdovers, but if I was an Expos fan I'd be bothered by this. It is one game. It doesn't really matter. I'm fine if Montreal gets a team if the Nats "give" them their history. The Twins and Rangers should have "given" the Senators history to the Nats. History should stay with a city and the fans who lived it.

The Nationals leaderboard should have players like Walter Johnson and Frank Howard, not Dennis Martinez and Vlad Guerrero. Failing that, it should be Zimmerman, Strasburg, and Scherzer at top of the career leaderboard.

And that is no insult to the Expos, who have a fun history, great players, and top notch uniforms.

In Little League. early 70s, one of the other teams had "Expos" unis. They were pretty cool looking especially since every other team had the basic drab white with colored trim.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: July 06, 2019, 11:22:00 PM »
Can anyone who was at the park report on how it was. I’m sad I missed that one.