Author Topic: Giants trade Benitez  (Read 588 times)

Offline mikehughes

Giants trade Benitez
« Topic Start: May 31, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6872914
The Giants have traded closer Armando Benitez and cash to the Marlins for right-hander Randy Messenger, FOXSports.com has learned.

As part of the deal, the Giants will pay the remainder of Benitez's $7.6 million salary this season, according to a source with knowledge of the trade.
Benitez, 34, saved 47 games in 51 chances for the Marlins in 2004 before signing a three-year, $21.5 million free-agent contract with the Giants.

His tenure with the Giants was marked by injuries and questions about his attitude, and his appearance Tuesday against the Mets was the final blow. Benitez committed two balks and allowed a walk-off homer by Carlos Delgado, forcing Giants general manager Brian Sabean to reassess his bullpen.

For the season, Benitez is 0-3 with a 4.67 ERA, with nine saves in 11 opportunities. He has struck out 18 and walked nine in 171/3 innings.

Messenger, 26, is 1-1 with a 2.66 ERA in 23 relief appearances with the Marlins.

I remember last year he blew like 2 or 3 saves on us, now hes in our division, hes an equal to Julio meaning more wins for us.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Giants trade Benitez
« Reply #1: June 04, 2007, 04:21:39 PM »
I remember last year he blew like 2 or 3 saves on us, now hes in our division, hes an equal to Julio meaning more wins for us.

Yes, they're the gifts that keep on giving.

Offline natsfan1a

Re: Giants trade Benitez
« Reply #2: June 04, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »
I remember the SFO fans booing Benitez as soon as the bullpen gates opened during our series there last year.