Poll

Should MLB allow teams to resign lopsided games?

Yes, by a manager's choice, with MLB setting how big the lead must be.
5 (29.4%)
Yes, but only after beer and alcohol sales normally stop.
0 (0%)
No, never give up, never surrender!
12 (70.6%)
I don't care, one way or the other.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: POLL: Should MLB allow teams to resign from lopsided games?  (Read 647 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

In 2018, MLB allowed teams to designate a Walk without throwing 4 balls first, speeding the game slightly. Should teams be allowed to resign a game that the manager considers to be out of reach? Assume that the MLB sets how big the lead must be, before it can be done.

The Washington Nationals defeated the Philadelphia Phillies 15-1 on Thursday April 10, 2019, the last day of a 3-game series. Both teams started substituting players.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think this would add interesting strategy. Save your pitchers or try to go for the win.

Offline RiotAct

Nakamura and... who?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Wouldn't this impact player stats?  What about MLB gambling. 

I'd rather they kept the concessions open for the entire game...

Offline dracnal

I will second VArk. Uneven stat comparison is enough for MLBPA to say no. And concessions for nine sounds great since I metro.

Offline nfotiu

I will second VArk. Uneven stat comparison is enough for MLBPA to say no. And concessions for nine sounds great since I metro.
Stats get all screwy in late innings of these blowout games anyway.   ie, leaving pitchers in longer than normal.  Regular players are usually subbed out anyway.  Rain shortened games are already allowed.  Down by 10 after 6, the manager should be allowed to throw in the towel.

Offline UMDNats

imagine paying for a full-price luxury club ticket for you and your family to celebrate a special occasion only to see either team get blown out and a manager give up after 5, costing you 4 innings for entertainment and all-you-can-eat-and-drink and cutting your night short by 1.5 hours.

no

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
imagine paying for a full-price luxury club ticket for you and your family to celebrate a special occasion only to see either team get blown out and a manager give up after 5, costing you 4 innings for entertainment and all-you-can-eat-and-drink and cutting your night short by 1.5 hours.

no

It's what they get for goin' to an Oreo's game.

Offline Jon1976

I don't see this happening for many reasons, most of which the owners want to keep the concession stands open as long as possible; and if it's home team blowing out the visitor, more people will stick around than not.

I could also see mangers using it as way to rest players before the playoffs. Say a team has already wrapped up the division and wants to get in as much rest possible before the playoffs, maybe even take an earlier flight if they're starting on the road. Just send in a guy to throw gopher balls until the game is called, pack up and get some extra rest.

Offline Count Walewski

I oppose this because it means fewer instances of position players pitching.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Giving in/up would setup an environment that would be bad for MLB's most important fans - the kids

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline nats2playoffs

no

Typically, the blowout games take longer, since one team cannot get the other one out. The 15-1 drubbing of the Phillies took 3.35 hours.

MLB could specify a minimum number of innings, say 6 or 7 or 8, and the margin of losing, say 10 runs, and allow the losing manager to end the game at that score. Gamblers' odds would adjust, avoiding spreads of over 10 points.

Teams have come back and won after falling behind by 10 runs. Managers would be reluctant to end games early, especially if the opponent has a weak bullpen.

In the Apr 10, 2019 game, the Nationals didn't get 5 more runs until the 7th inning, raising the score from 10-0 to 15-0. The Nationals had to travel home after this night game ended, and the Phillies had to go on the road.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI201904100.shtml

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yes. What reason is there to risk an injury to a pitcher trying to come back in a one sided affair?