Author Topic: Soto to 1B?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Soto to 1B?
« Reply #50: April 12, 2019, 12:43:02 PM »
Nothing in the Lerner history indicates they are even considering locking up these guys. In fact, other than Strasburg and (I guess) Zimmerman, they don't seem very interested in long-term deals like those going on around the league.
this. It makes sense to lock up guys early but they will not. They seem to think there's always a Turner for a desi, a soto or Robles for a Harper, a kieboom for Rendon  , Garcia for Murphy, etc...

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #51: April 12, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »
this. It makes sense to lock up guys early but they will not. They seem to think there's always a Turner for a desi, a soto or Robles for a Harper, a kieboom for Rendon  , Garcia for Murphy, etc...

Strasburg for one.  Harper didn't want to be locked up early.  Zimmerman was locked up long ago.  Who are you lamenting they didn't lock up?  Besides, those are COMPETELY different scenarios than what I'm talking about.  That's BIG money to guys who are close to free agency.  I'm talking about the trend of long-term deals for rookies or 2nd year guys who aren't even to arbitration yet. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52: April 12, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
Strasburg for one.  Harper didn't want to be locked up early.  Zimmerman was locked up long ago.  Who are you lamenting they didn't lock up?  Besides, those are COMPETELY different scenarios than what I'm talking about.  That's BIG money to guys who are close to free agency.  I'm talking about the trend of long-term deals for rookies or 2nd year guys who aren't even to arbitration yet. 
I'm saying they do not ever lock  up anyone in their first few years.  They give a rat's behind what the rest of the league does, it just isn't their style.  Their philosophy is that they can always develop another body to backfill.  Sometimes someone even better. 

They simply do not think they will ever chase after one of their own late in the team control process. They will not trade player security and overpayments early in the team control period for bargains in the post-control period.  If a bargain falls into their lap late in the team control period, they'll take it, but they do not chase.  Stras and even Zimmerman at the time were thought to be bargains, so those are the only two they extended. 

« Reply #53: April 12, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
I'm saying they do not ever lock  up anyone in their first few years.  They give a rat's behind what the rest of the league does, it just isn't their style.  Their philosophy is that they can always develop another body to backfill.  Sometimes someone even better. 

They simply do not think they will ever chase after one of their own late in the team control process. They will not trade player security and overpayments early in the team control period for bargains in the post-control period.  If a bargain falls into their lap late in the team control period, they'll take it, but they do not chase.  Stras and even Zimmerman at the time were thought to be bargains, so those are the only two they extended.

NOBODY was locking guys up in their pre-arb years like has become a trend this year.  You have no idea that the Nats are intending to buck this trend. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #54: April 12, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
NOBODY was locking guys up in their pre-arb years like has become a trend this year.  You have no idea that the Nats are intending to buck this trend. 

that's not true, evan longoria was one of the first way back when and the last few years there's been a couple each year. turner was our first real case to do it and we didn't.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #55: April 12, 2019, 02:58:15 PM »
Pujols

« Reply #56: April 12, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
that's not true, evan longoria was one of the first way back when and the last few years there's been a couple each year. turner was our first real case to do it and we didn't.

A couple.  Now you see a couple a day.  It's silly to say no way they consider this with Soto and Robles.  That is based on a whole lot of nothing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57: April 12, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
sure, the trend took off this year, but it's not like it is novel.  Evan Longoria signed his first deal before he was called up.  It's always been around.  I think it may have taken off this year a bit due to the past 2 years of FA markets when the bidding has stopped. Now agents may realize that holding out for the promised land is less likely to payoff. Risk / reward is different.

BTW Cory - I had this argument for years with Blue911, and his point was similar to yours. I had wanted to lock up Jordan Zimmermann once he showed his arm was sound after TJ back in 2011, I think.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58: April 12, 2019, 08:28:40 PM »
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-behind-mlbs-bizarre-spike-in-contract-extensions/

Suggests one of the reasons teams are doing this now is to take the biggest talents out of the arbitration pool to lower the awards and comparables.  One agent even is quoted  as saying the teams are targeting high-end players with lesser agents figuring they can sucker them.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #59: April 12, 2019, 09:50:49 PM »
How about no more crybabies about Zimmerman at 1st base, for that play by him tonight saved the game.  RZ showed his 3rd baseman skills

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: April 12, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
How about no more crybabies about Zimmerman at 1st base, for that play by him tonight saved the game.  RZ showed his 3rd baseman skills
He made two good throws tonight. Don’t expect him to keep it up.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: April 12, 2019, 09:52:47 PM »
Islanders break the tie! 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #62: April 12, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »
Phillies locked up Herrera a couple years ago. And Kingery last year when he hadn’t even played a big league season.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #63: April 12, 2019, 09:55:12 PM »

:crackup:  what a moron

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX