Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 106955 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1575: May 02, 2018, 07:03:54 AM »
I got bit by a black rat snake, and bled a little.
Cats have gotten two little ones this year. I'm afraid to think how many more are in the basement.

Offline mdupont

« Reply #1576: May 02, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
Used to have a Black Snake living in an old wood pile.  Im sure kept a lot of the little critters at bay.  One day there was a Red Tailed Hawk on the wood pile eating the Black Snake.  Circle of life I guess.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1577: May 02, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
Used to have a Black Snake living in an old wood pile.  Im sure kept a lot of the little critters at bay.  One day there was a Red Tailed Hawk on the wood pile eating the Black Snake.  Circle of life I guess.

Black snakes are great to have around, but unfortunately many people kill them because...well....they are snakes.  In our neighborhood a few people had them enter homes through cracks in foundations or other gaps.  One of our neighbors found one inside their gas fire place.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1578: May 02, 2018, 01:27:34 PM »

Was visiting friends in NC, and they had a black mesh netting over their herbs, and the snake was tangled in the mesh and would have died there. I was trying to clip the meshing to release it when it got its head free and was aggressive in attacking me.  I pinned his head down with a stick while I continued to work but he got under it and bit me on the web of my hand between my index and bad fingers.  A bit of blood oozed out of 4 points.

Reminds me of a story my grandmother always liked to tell.  Her brother Buster had a "pet" black snake that he carried around, but one day the snake bit him on the arm and "the blood, it did flow"    :hysterical:   In her telling, he had it coming to him for playing with a snake.  From then on it was hoesville for any snake caught in our yards, until nature Tommy put an end to the abhorrent practice.

Offline mdupont

« Reply #1579: May 02, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
Though Im not a fan of these guys swarming the feeder they do give good photo ops.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1580: May 02, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
Though Im not a fan of these guys swarming the feeder they do give good photo ops.

(Image removed from quote.)

After seein' your earlier posts (last week), I saw a lot of these "critters" swoopin' and divin' at the local public golf course.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1581: May 02, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
Is anyone else noticing big raptors (specifically ospreys and eagles) getting mercilessly harassed by smaller birds? It seems like everytime I see three or four crows driving it off

Online imref

« Reply #1582: May 02, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »
Anyone seeing a ton of carpenter bees this year?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1583: May 02, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »
Is anyone else noticing big raptors (specifically ospreys and eagles) getting mercilessly harassed by smaller birds? It seems like everytime I see three or four crows driving it off

Pretty normal during nesting season. I think there are just more raptors around in recent years.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1584: May 02, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »

VaRK had a bee issue a week or so ago.

EDIT:    Lookin' back through the posts it appears he was dealin' with wasps.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1585: May 02, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »

It's hard to get a good count. My dog finds them delicious.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1586: May 02, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
When I worked at Animal Control we used to get a lot of calls to remove snakes in basements. People would be absolutely terrified and the description was always that it was a huge snake - 12 feet long 5 inches wide and vicious.  Of course we’d get out there and it would be a little ring neck or maybe a baby black snake only a foot long and thin as a pencil.

One day we got the standard call about a huge 12 foot long snake in the basement terrifying the family etc. So our tech gets out there and she’s carrying a pillow case because that was how we would transport these baby snakes so we could release them elsewhere.  The homeowner opens the door and takes one look at her, one look at the pillowcase, and looks back at her and says, “That’s not going to be big enough for this snake.”

Well, this was not this tech’s first snake call and she’s used to these exaggerated stories. So she kind of condescendingly says to the homeowner, “Well, let me go take a look at it and then we’ll see what I need.”   So the homeowner points her to the basement. She gets down there and by gawd the snake really was 12 feet long and 5 inches thick. It was someone’s pet boa that had escaped and somehow got into the guy’s house.  The tech apologizes to the homeowner, and tells him he was absolutely right that the pillowcase was not going to be enough. She finally ended up borrowing a trashcan from the guy and it took the two of them to lift the snake and coil it into the bottom of the trashcan so she could transport to the animal shelter. 

We never did find the owner. It was one of those yellow boas and was a good looking healthy snake. We finally ended up adopting it out to a guy who had snakes and knew how to take care of them.

Working at an animal shelter was never dull.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1587: May 02, 2018, 06:13:45 PM »

I was just out talkin' to my neighbor.    I've been paintin'/preppin' the porch over the last several days.    Damn bees are bothering the heck out of me but all I do is swat at 'em.    Neighbor sez, "Those are carpenter bees."     Now that I know what type of bee they are, I haven't seen more than in past years.    I always get a few but they don't seem to stay around very long.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1588: May 02, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »

Mama raccoon is back under our deck...

Online imref

« Reply #1589: May 02, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
I was just out talkin' to my neighbor.    I've been paintin'/preppin' the porch over the last several days.    Damn bees are bothering the heck out of me but all I do is swat at 'em.    Neighbor sez, "Those are carpenter bees."     Now that I know what type of bee they are, I haven't seen more than in past years.    I always get a few but they don't seem to stay around very long.

only the females sting, and only if you try and catch them.  Most of the ones buzzing around are males.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1590: May 02, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »
My problem is that I’m a bleeding heart humaniac and can’t bear to kill them. We don’t have a cat anymore and the dog couldn’t care less so there’s nothing to deter them. We’ve spent a small fortune on every kind of humane trap there is. Unfortunately they tend to not be terribly effective,  but I feel better.  :halo:

I live in a little patio home duplex, so I think my neighbor’s cat does some of the dirty work for me.

Amazingly enough in 11 years we have never had a mouse at our cabin. I should thank our builder.

So for those of you looking for alternative ways to kill or even remove mice without killing them, check this guy out.

He's been building traps from historical designs and testing them out, quite amusing. One quick and easy one - put peanut oil in a bowl and the mice will get slick and be unable to get out.  If the oil is deep enough they will drown.  If shallow, they'll just stay there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1591: May 02, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
The wildlife photo of the year award has been stripped from a Brazilian photographer who, it turns out, used a stuffed anteater in his photo

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/apr/27/winning-anteater-photo-disqualified-judges-agree-stuffed-marcio-cabral

wait, stuffed animals aren't real?  what do you tell the kids now?

Offline wj73

« Reply #1592: May 05, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »
The migrators are coming through. Just this morning we had a male hooded warbler and a male and female rose breasted grosbeak. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the scarlet tanager. I love my cardinals but the scarlet tanager makes even cardinals look dowdy by comparison.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1593: May 06, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »
Few years ago I got a mason bee house, and installed it per directions.  Apparently they are good pollinators but have narrow requirements for domicile.  Well several years in and no bees, a windstorm ripped it off the tree breaking the back of it so I couldn't replace it without repair, so I laid it in the garage. 

Few weeks ago I heard a buzz and saw a bee, which to my astonishment flew into one of the holes in the bee house.  What the heck, I carried it outside and put it up against the house in back.  Yesterday I was working around in the area and damned if a whole bunch of them haven't colonized it.   :shrug:

Guess I was trying too hard.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1594: May 11, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
Saw these in Kingstowne Lake walking back from Giant this afternoon. Can anyone tell what kind they are?

Offline mdupont

« Reply #1595: May 11, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »
Saw these in Kingstowne Lake walking back from Giant this afternoon. Can anyone tell what kind they are?

Im thinking grass carp.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1596: May 11, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »
Dpn't let Tom know. He'll have 'em in a pan.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1597: May 11, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
Im thinking grass carp.

The center photo looks like a carp scale pattern.    Top photo looks almost like a catfish body.    Catfish and carp are plentiful in many man made ponds.    They're scavengers and will eat almost anything.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1598: May 11, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
Piranhas.  Dinsdale Piranha.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1599: May 11, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
That first one is a hammerhead shark...

(channeling my best FP)