Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 106119 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1625: July 04, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
I want to share a picture of a mom and baby bear that dropped by this morning at our cabin, but can’t get it to show. I’ve got it on google images shareable to anyone with the link, and placed the URL inside the img tag. Help anyone??  Is there a better photo sharing app to use?

I’m having trouble sharing s photo too! Love to know an easy way to do it!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1626: July 04, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
I want to share a picture of a mom and baby bear that dropped by this morning at our cabin, but can’t get it to show. I’ve got it on google images shareable to anyone with the link, and placed the URL inside the img tag. Help anyone??  Is there a better photo sharing app to use?

imgur

https://imgur.com/

Offline wj73

« Reply #1627: July 04, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »
imgur

https://imgur.com/

Woohoo - got it. Thanks!

We just moved up to our mountain cabin full time last week and these neighbors came by to welcome us this morning.

It was a treat cuz we hadn’t seen any bears yet this year.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #1628: July 04, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »
Well that's the cutest thing I've seen today :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1629: July 04, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »

That is awesome...  :D

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1630: July 04, 2018, 09:53:32 PM »

Not our backyard...the neighbor's yard 2 doors down the other night at 4:00am...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1631: July 04, 2018, 10:51:52 PM »
Woohoo - got it. Thanks!

We just moved up to our mountain cabin full time last week and these neighbors came by to welcome us this morning.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's great.    :clap:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1632: July 04, 2018, 11:22:17 PM »
Woohoo - got it. Thanks!

You win Backyard Critters thread :clap:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1633: July 04, 2018, 11:26:58 PM »
Very cool wj.  I’ve seen a few black bears in the wild and they are usually docile, but you never know when there is a cub involved.   Where is the cabin?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1634: July 05, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »
pm me the link!!!  The wonks can share the blah blah about imgurl, but I need to see bear cubs!! 

Offline wj73

« Reply #1635: July 05, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »
pm me the link!!!  The wonks can share the blah blah about imgurl, but I need to see bear cubs!!

You should hopefully be able to see the pic I posted above now.

Very cool wj.  I’ve seen a few black bears in the wild and they are usually docile, but you never know when there is a cub involved.   Where is the cabin?

Our cabin is in the Catoctin Mts near Thurmont, MD. We’re just a couple of miles from Cunningham Falls if you’ve ever been there. We have 10 wooded acres, and back up to several hundred protected wooded acres, so it’s a prime bear habitat. Agree that black bears tend to be docile and mostly just want to be left alone. When we see one we usually snap a few pix, then scare them off by using a shake can (coffee can with a handful of pennies thrown inside). I don’t fear them, but I do respect them and their capabilities, and don’t take their docility for granted.

Here’s a few more pix from yesterday. As you can see, the cub is really a teeny little guy. Too adorable! 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1636: July 05, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
Our cabin is in the Catoctin Mts near Thurmont, MD. We’re just a couple of miles from Cunningham Falls if you’ve ever been there. We have 10 wooded acres, and back up to several hundred protected wooded acres, so it’s a prime bear habitat. Agree that black bears tend to be docile and mostly just want to be left alone. When we see one we usually snap a few pix, then scare them off by using a shake can (coffee can with a handful of pennies thrown inside). I don’t fear them, but I do respect them and their capabilities, and don’t take their docility for granted.

We've hiked Cunningham Falls before, beautiful area.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1637: July 05, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
That's awesome.  I was too sweaty to deal with my phone, but on yesterday's bike sillies I came across a doe nursing two tiny spotted fawns.  The cute was strong.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1638: July 05, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
You should hopefully be able to see the pic I posted above now.

Our cabin is in the Catoctin Mts near Thurmont, MD. We’re just a couple of miles from Cunningham Falls if you’ve ever been there. We have 10 wooded acres, and back up to several hundred protected wooded acres

Do those "protected" acres have sensors and armed security?     :)

Offline wj73

« Reply #1639: July 05, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
Do those "protected" acres have sensors and armed security?     :)

Nah, just protected from development.  :D

Offline wj73

« Reply #1640: July 05, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
That's awesome.  I was too sweaty to deal with my phone, but on yesterday's bike sillies I came across a doe nursing two tiny spotted fawns.  The cute was strong.

So cute!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1641: July 06, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »
Saw two ospreys at Mount Vernon yesterday.

https://twitter.com/1995hoo/status/1015208524111114247?s=21

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1642: July 06, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »
I looked out the kitchen window yesterday and saw this big bird on the ground out by the feeder.    It looked like an over-sized pigeon  ...  I mean really over-sized but darker markings.    I opened the back door and walked out.    The bird had a hard time gettin' any lift and ran into the house behind me.   It finally got its wing and zoomed off (wings back as in a dive).    I told the missus I thought it was a baby vulture.    I checked the ground to see if it had gotten one of the varmits but apparently not.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1643: July 06, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
Saw two ospreys at Mount Vernon yesterday.

https://twitter.com/1995hoo/status/1015208524111114247?s=21

Nice photo.     Is that a vehicle/boat in the background?   

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1644: July 06, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
Nice photo.     Is that a vehicle/boat in the background?   

It’s a boat, the Spirit of Mt. Vernon. Goes on river cruises from the dock there.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1645: July 06, 2018, 01:16:50 PM »
Not our backyard...the neighbor's yard 2 doors down the other night at 4:00am...

Those bastards have left several healthy piles of crap in my front yard over the past couple of weeks and also ate my wife's begonias.

The snake count is now up to 5 after my wife came across three babies this morning while raking some leaves.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #1646: July 06, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »

Offline wj73

« Reply #1647: July 06, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »
Those bastards have left several healthy piles of crap in my front yard over the past couple of weeks and also ate my wife's begonias.

The snake count is now up to 5 after my wife came across three babies this morning while raking some leaves.

Try Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent. It’s very effective. I noticed a neighbor had intact hostas and asked what her secret was and she told me about this stuff. I’ve been using it and my hostas are untouched this year for the first time ever. It’s foul-smelling when you first spray it on, but once it dries you don’t smell it.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1648: July 06, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
Awesome!  I wouldn't get too close to the cub with mama around.

I did accidentally get between a mom and cub a few years ago. I saw a mom and cub out in the yard so I opened the door to shake can them to keep them wary of humans. It worked and they both ran off.  I ran a little ways after them shaking the can to reinforce the message.  I was standing there making sure they’d run off when I heard a little bleating noise behind me. Turns out mom had two cubs and the second one had shimmied up a tree at the noise instead of running. Now he was calling for mom. I realized I was between them and hurried back inside to watch. Mom never did come back but we heard her calling in the distance.  Eventually the little guy climbed back down and hurried after mom. I guess she figured that he wasn’t in immediate danger being up a tree, so didn’t feel the need to defend him.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1649: July 21, 2018, 09:06:34 AM »
Bought a couple of handheld hummingbird feeders to try. They really work. Here’s hubby this morning hand feeding our local hummers.