Author Topic: The 2019 Blow It Up Thread  (Read 22368 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: The 2019 Blow It Up Thread
« Reply #125: April 11, 2019, 07:54:44 AM »
Do we need to start a Sunshine Squad thread. Hell, this one is the equivalent of the Legion of Doom.

Don't look now but Greg beat you to it days ago.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #126: April 11, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
Three teams are 7-4. One is 6-5. So I would say 4 teams are for real. Going to be a tight race.

I think 4 teams are at least pretty good.  I don't believe in the Phillies or Braves pitching enough to say they're legit World Series contenders.  We of course have bullpen questions, and if anybody in our rotation goes down, it will spell trouble.  The Mets seemingly have a pretty balanced team, but can Thor stay healthy? 

« Reply #127: April 11, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
You could get a Kings ransome for Robles right now....

Are you implying we should trade him?  You better get a massive haul if you do.  I actually expect us to soon approach Soto and Robles for one of those long-term discount deals where we buyout their remaining pre-arb and then arb years and into what would be their free agency years.  If you feel confident in the player's talent for years to come, it makes sense.  The player loses potential earnings long-term, but they get a lot of money NOW and have security that they are generationally wealthy still.  Maybe not as wealthy as they could be waiting 4 or 5 years to hit the open market, but I'm sure Robles and Soto don't come from boatloads of cash.  I'd lock to lock them up for 8 years each. 

Offline rileyn

« Reply #128: April 11, 2019, 10:29:28 AM »
Let us pause on this off day to take a moment to rejoice in how beautiful the last 12 innings in Philadelphia were.  I can wallow is frustration as well as the next guy, but these last 2 games have been glorious.  It's so nice to see Philly and Bryce with their tails between their legs.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #129: April 11, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
I think 4 teams are at least pretty good.  I don't believe in the Phillies or Braves pitching enough to say they're legit World Series contenders.  We of course have bullpen questions, and if anybody in our rotation goes down, it will spell trouble.  The Mets seemingly have a pretty balanced team, but can Thor stay healthy?
Keuchel and Kimbrel sitting by the phone. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #130: April 11, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
Let us pause on this off day to take a moment to rejoice in how beautiful the last 12 innings in Philadelphia were.  I can wallow is frustration as well as the next guy, but these last 2 games have been glorious.  It's so nice to see Philly and Bryce with their tails between their legs.

On r/baseball (terrible place, btw), it was nice to see Braves & Mets fans join in our joy of kicking the Phillies' ass the last 2 games. There absolutely is a "let's all hate philly" mentality.

« Reply #131: April 11, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »

They aren't saviors for anybody.

« Reply #132: April 12, 2019, 02:07:36 AM »

Neither one had a spring training which would be a cause for concern, especially with Kimbrel. Don't really have time to let him ramp up and probably struggle in season. I get that they could send him for an extended ST and then a rehab stint in the minors but it's not the same as an actual ST and given what you would have to pay him it would be a huge risk. Not to mention he wasn't exactly lights out in October last year last time we saw him.

Offline awbb

« Reply #133: April 12, 2019, 05:43:52 AM »
Neither one had a spring training which would be a cause for concern, especially with Kimbrel. Don't really have time to let him ramp up and probably struggle in season. I get that they could send him for an extended ST and then a rehab stint in the minors but it's not the same as an actual ST and given what you would have to pay him it would be a huge risk. Not to mention he wasn't exactly lights out in October last year last time we saw him.

Absolutely. Whether you agree with it or not it appears clear that ownership have one demand on Rizzo this season and that is "Don't go over the luxury cap!" (LAC). I am pretty sure that was their demand last season and heads rolled when someone couldn't add up in the front office.

Signing Kimbrel or Keuchel would do that (or put us to a point where Rizzo is totally hamstrung in making any other moves), notwithstanding the fact they would need a fair amount of work before they could realistically be expected to make an impact.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #134: April 12, 2019, 05:48:30 AM »

How about not going over the luxury tax in a lost season?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #135: April 12, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »

I like the way you think, my friend.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #136: April 12, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »
Neither one had a spring training which would be a cause for concern, especially with Kimbrel. Don't really have time to let him ramp up and probably struggle in season. I get that they could send him for an extended ST and then a rehab stint in the minors but it's not the same as an actual ST and given what you would have to pay him it would be a huge risk.
I never thought Kimbrel was too smart to begin with, but sitting out the Spring proves to me that he is an idiot.  Few teams are willing to take a chance on him for that reason.  He was stupid to sit out Spring Training, and I wonder if he even thinks deep enough to have considered this.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #137: April 12, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Neither of those guys makes any sense to not have signed. Keuchel has made $32 million, Kimbrel has made $55 million. So even on a one-year deal you gotta think Keuchel would be making well over half his career earnings, and Kimbrel would probably make a third of his.

I understand how a guy who's made $200 million might not come back for a couple million extra, but I do not understand how you turn down $15-20 million pillow deals if you're one of these guys.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #138: April 12, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
Conversely, having made that much money they don't have to work if the price isn't right for their services.

We can sit here and criticize super stars that are rich, but it's a tough pill to swallow when you think your employers aren't willing to pay you what you're worth.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #139: April 12, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
Conversely, having made that much money they don't have to work if the price isn't right for their services.

I don't really agree with this. First, they're not on the verge of retirement (unless out of stubbornness). Second, there's no reason to expect that a team is randomly going to give them a long-term contract midseason when no team did the entire offseason.

I get being pissed over your long-term value and not wanting to "settle" on a multi-year deal. But you don't gain anything by sitting out for a year, and both of them are losing the $15-20 million any number of teams would have paid them this season on a one-year deal.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #140: April 12, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
I get being pissed over your long-term value and not wanting to "settle" on a multi-year deal. But you don't gain anything by sitting out for a year, and both of them are losing the $15-20 million any number of teams would have paid them this season on a one-year deal.

Ask this guy how that worked out:

Offline Air Desmond

The Nats are stuck in baseball purgatory. Can’t escape the shackles of .500

Offline rileyn

« Reply #142: April 13, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »
Eaton was bad last night.  I'm ready to give Michael A some starts, and move Robles to the top of the order.  We are shorthanded with Turner out, so we have to live with Difo, but we also have a problem at 1st base.  A ballsy solution would be to try Kendrick at 1B.

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #143: April 13, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
Can Dozier play ss? Because the way Kendrick and Adams are hitting, what about them at 2nd and 1st?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #144: April 13, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »
Play Soto in RF, put Howie in LF

Offline rileyn

« Reply #145: April 13, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
Play Soto in RF, put Howie in LF
I still worry about Howie's achilles heel in LF.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #146: April 13, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
Can Dozier play ss?
Only in an emergency; it's not a solution.  He played half a season at short, but that was back in 2012, and he hasn't played there at all since.

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #147: April 13, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »
Thx. I'd have more respect for our Mangler if he'd try something new now and then. Nothing he can do about the BP roster, except maybe complain. Wilmer plays good D, but at bat...And Zim, thanks for the memories.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #148: April 13, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »
Ask this guy how that worked out:

Hey, he had a family to feed!

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #149: April 13, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
Only in an emergency; it's not a solution.  He played half a season at short, but that was back in 2012, and he hasn't played there at all since.
Depth at shortstop is non-existent.  TT is just an average shortstop, but his bat is desperately needed.   

Great to see Eaton get back on track.

Kendrick is a liability in the field, but Dozier is not much better.  Davey would be smart to ensure Kendrick gets adequate playing time.