Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43361 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
With a strike looming I would want all my money in 2019/2020.

Why? Would a strike negate a contract already in place?

I get stars go for the biggest money, I just find it terribly sad in some cases. Albert Pujols was a God in St. Louis; he’s an afterthought in LA, and that’s just a damned shame to me. Bryce may very well end up the best Phillie ever; or he may get off to a bad start and never be considered a “real” Phillie in a way he was always a “real” Nat,
And I think at a certain point above 100 million it becomes pathetic to chase money your grandchildren will never be able to spend just to say you got the most instead of putting some value in building a legacy where you started.

Offline Natsinpwc

Why? Would a strike negate a contract already in place?

I get stars go for the biggest money, I just find it terribly sad in some cases. Albert Pujols was a God in St. Louis; he’s an afterthought in LA, and that’s just a damned shame to me. Bryce may very well end up the best Phillie ever; or he may get off to a bad start and never be considered a “real” Phillie in a way he was always a “real” Nat,
And I think at a certain point above 100 million it becomes pathetic to chase money your grandchildren will never be able to spend just to say you got the most instead of putting some value in building a legacy where you started.

They are not going to get paid for that strike year or at least part of it. So get it while you can.

Ted Lerner is worth more than $5 billion.  Why does he have to defer money?  Why did he need to have the city build a stadium for him?  And then try and squeeze every additional dollar out of them? Why does he have to worry about paying a few million in luxury tax when he is worth billions?  Why does he charge so much for tickets when he doesn’t need the money?  I’m generally not clear why fans get so upset with players taking the most money when they have a limited career and generally don’t have other ways to get rich. But then owners who almost all are rich beyond any players dreams get a pass for trying to make money on what’s more of a hobby for them.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
They are not going to get paid for that strike year or at least part of it. So get it while you can.

Ted Lerner is worth more than $5 billion.  Why does he have to defer money?  Why did he need to have the city build a stadium for him?  And then try and squeeze every additional dollar out of them? Why does he have to worry about paying a few million in luxury tax when he is worth billions?  Why does he charge so much for tickets when he doesn’t need the money?  I’m generally not clear why fans get so upset with players taking the most money when they have a limited career and generally don’t have other ways to get rich. But then owners who almost all are rich beyond any players dreams get a pass for trying to make money on what’s more of a hobby for them.

Owners suck a bunch I’m not arguing that, and I’m not upset players go for the most money I just think sometimes taking a few million less to stay where you’re beloved isnt really so awful a concept.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I agree with all of this. I just don’t like Bryce very much.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
If it really were just about maxing before the strike, then he would have taken the LAD offer. 

Offline Natsinpwc

If it really were just about maxing before the strike, then he would have taken the LAD offer.
I bet if they had offered 7/8 years he would have taken it.

Offline Natsinpwc

I agree with all of this. I just don’t like Bryce very much.
There ya go.

Offline UMDNats

All the Phillies have to do to do is finish better than the Nats for the take machine to rev up to, "are the Nats idiots for letting Harper go?"

of course. to be fair, nothing will stop the almighty take machine

Offline nfotiu

Maybe he left because he thinks dave is an idiot!   

It really sounds like there wasn't a lot of love left between Bryce and the team and some of the fan base.   I'd guess a lot of that all deteriorated last season, but who knows.  It sure seemed like the Philly fans were a whole lot more excited about the prospects of signing him, than we were.   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

It really sounds like there wasn't a lot of love left between Bryce and the team and some of the fan base.   I'd guess a lot of that all deteriorated last season, but who knows.  It sure seemed like the Philly fans were a whole lot more excited about the prospects of signing him, than we were.   

it sounds like he was insulted by the offer and that was it.

Offline Natsinpwc

That’s because they’ve sucked the last several years. They are excited to have a contending team again. If they fail miserably in the playoffs like the Nats and the fans will sour on them. Much more so than in DC. In a few years he will be traded to the Dodgers or Yankees.

Offline HalfSmokes

That’s because they’ve sucked the last several years. They are excited to have a contending team again. If they fail miserably in the playoffs like the Nats and the fans will sour on them. Much more so than in DC. In a few years he will be traded to the Dodgers or Yankees.

We were all excited when we drafted him and when he was called up, as the team floundered, the fans turned on the star. The same will happen in philly if they don’t win

Offline UMDNats

it sounds like he was insulted by the offer and that was it.

maybe the lerners gave him that offer as a way to tell him that they didn't want him :stir:

i think once Soto broke out Rizzo and the Lerners looked at the roster and decided Bryce wasn't worth the money he wanted and didn't care if they "insulted" him.

Offline HalfSmokes

maybe the lerners gave him that offer as a way to tell him that they didn't want him :stir:

i think once Soto broke out Rizzo and the Lerners looked at the roster and decided Bryce wasn't worth the money he wanted and didn't care if they "insulted" him.

They also set the $300 million dollar bar by leaking the total without mentioning deferred money

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
He's got his family to feed...

MAN I GOT FIVE KIDS TO FEED!

Offline Copecwby20

That Harper dig by Rizzo during the opening minutes of 30 for 30 tonight was golden. 😂

Offline Scrapple

Owners suck a bunch I’m not arguing that, and I’m not upset players go for the most money I just think sometimes taking a few million less to stay where you’re beloved isnt really so awful a concept.
I’m with you on this.
Harper might win a World Series but it won’t (likely) be with Max Scherzer. Can’t believe Harper wasn’t  personable enough to approach Ted or Mark Lerner and say, “hey, this is where i’m at and I want to win a World Championship with Max. Let’s work this thing out.”
For me, it’s hard to believe Harper would turn his back on Max over a few million or deferred money when your going up to and above “300” million dollars?????
I don’t feel comfortable wishing bad things on anyone but Harper “may have” totally  ruined my kind heart. “May have”???.....  #3 “Babe Harper”??. ....  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: who the heck am I trying to kid???  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
That Harper dig by Rizzo during the opening minutes of 30 for 30 tonight was golden. 😂

I missed it what did he say

Offline Nick the Pig

I am so looking forward to rooting against him for the next 13 years...

Think the Philly press will be as kind to him as the DC press was ?

Or will they ask him if he wears his magic underwear under his uniform...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline wj73

Recovery time estimated at 10-13 years.

Offline Scrapple

"The slugging outfielder is 0 for 5 in 10 plate appearances."
Wow!!! The power of NEGATIVE thinking!  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Go Nationals!!!