Author Topic: Bryce: All things considered, I'd Rather be in Philadelphia  (Read 43413 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Tempted to move to out of town scoreboard and change the title to our least favorite Phillies

Do it :evil:

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Frankly, it's not a very good contract. Machado's deal is way much better, with opt outs, better AAV, nicer city, and fans who don't smell bad.

Eh, Padres fans don't smell great either but at least they're less busty than their wives.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
The worst thing DC fans could do to Bryce is ignore him when he comes back. The idea that you left no mark on the team and city that you spent 10 years with would eat anyone up.

I actually think this might be the way to go. It's like dealing with an old gf. Just kill her with kindness. Ok, not kindness, but indifference.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
saw earlier that the Mets will still owe Bonilla for four more years after Harper's contract with Philly is over.

Offline Five Banners

Someone also said that Bryce will hit a bazillion hr's in that ballpark, think that factored into it?  Upping his stats along with that big ol' contract he seemed to covet so?

From first page of thread:

Quote from: spidernat on October 05, 2018, 10:32:14 AM

Harper would enjoy playing in that stadium. His preference will probably be a hitter's park that will help him accumulate big offensive numbers.

Offline HalfSmokes

Per Passan, there's a full no-trade, but players can always waive those when they want out.

I still can't get over that he was willing to go to 13 years just to get the highest total dollar figure, even though he's getting $7.2 million a year less than Arenado.  Hell, he'll probably get less AAV than Rendon.   That fixation on total dollars is just Presidential levels of childish, and possibly counterproductive: he almost certainly could have gotten something like 3/115, gone FA again at 29 and only needed to get 216 total over the remainder of his career to end up with a higher total.   If he actually thinks he is good, one would assume that would be achievable (unless Boras has decided the market is about to crater).

It turns out the don’t sell me short line wasn’t a joke- it was really who he is

Offline imref

I actually think this might be the way to go. It's like dealing with an old gf. Just kill her with kindness. Ok, not kindness, but indifference.

someone else posted earlier that he'll get cheered the first time he comes to the plate, then booed every time after that.

Offline Baseball is Life

Do it :evil:

Yep, do it. He's dead to us now. Eff him.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
What's hysterical is over 50% of WNFF voters thought he was going to sign here...  :lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

someone else posted earlier that he'll get cheered the first time he comes to the plate, then booed every time after that.

Offline tzinc

they are proclaiming phillies as nl east favouriites lol
just because of harper ridiculous

mccuthcheon is done they point to that as another great signing  :hysterical:

nationals have a better team the only thing holding back the nats is the worst manager in mlb

sadly harper is all about the money for an extra 3 years and 35 million dollars
you'd think he'd take a 10 year deal at 300ish sf or nats or even an la type high 30s for several years
play with winning organizations in great areas with great fans

13 years in philly ugh not even an extra 35 million is worth that no optouts (I mean that's pretty much the definition of Hell)

how did he figure that deal was good for him i would have looked at yearly average not overall average
he's only making 25 a year

i imagine the marketing in la or sf would have garnered him way more bucks anyway
philly has the worst fans in sports bar none

the only thing i can figure is philly told him they had mike trout in the bag maybe that was the decider but i doubt it
harper made a dumb move here really dumb

If I had been Harper I would have taken the nats 10 for 300 and been a 1 team player but that's me and I would have never gone to the phillies long term or for 25 a year no way

didn't he think he will be a good enough player to opt out in a 5ish years for another big payday? does he know he's overrated lol

Offline Baseball is Life

What's hysterical is over 50% of WNFF voters thought he was going to sign here...  :lmao:

Act like you've been right before.

Offline imref

I'm really happy...mostly for me...but for him too.  He maximized his earnings and will spend 13 years in the same city...not DC...  :D

Wonder what sort of tribute the Lerner's have planned for him on April 2nd?  Put him in the Ring of Honor maybe?

You might be right about that one.

Offline tenken627

With all thats said and done. This means now we have to win the division. *stares at Davey*

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Act like you've been right before.

:lol: oh let him gloat, he was right and we were wrong :(

Offline rbw5t

It's fine by me if he's hitting 50 bombs a year there as long as he isn't winning division titles.  I hope he hits .260 instead of .320 though.  I think he's gonna be shooting for big homer totals, tempted by the short dimensions, and I think that doesn't play well to maximizing his value or his team's best chances of winning.  50 and .260, Nats are fine, 35/.320 (and high OPBs, more to the point), and Phillies might be pretty good.

Offline Baseball is Life

:lol: oh let him gloat, he was right and we were wrong :(

Gloating is unattractive. But boy were we wrong.

Offline imref

Gloating is unattractive. But boy were we wrong.

Yep.  I figured the Lerners would overrule Rizzo as the seem to do so often, but in this case the team made the right baseball decision.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
From first page of thread:

Quote from: spidernat on October 05, 2018, 10:32:14 AM

Harper would enjoy playing in that stadium. His preference will probably be a hitter's park that will help him accumulate big offensive numbers.

ah yep, that's what I was thinking of.  Man some people really saw through Bryce.

Offline Baseball is Life

Yep.  I figured the Lerners would overrule Rizzo as the seem to do so often, but in this case the team made the right baseball decision.

The thing that's keeping me grounded is that I for sure believe the Nats played it well. They offered him a superb contract (better than he eventually got). And, frankly, 10 year contracts rarely work out well for the team. And then there's 13 years. :hysterical:

Offline Baseball is Life

ah yep, that's what I was thinking of.  Man some people really saw through Bryce.

Oh, I know I was thinking with my heart and not my head. It's 2019. Cash is king.

Offline imref

I'm gonna go with the reverse Jayson Werth and vote Philly, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Braves get him. Honestly after the up and down season he had, I'm not sure what teams think of Bryce.

winner winner chicken dinner

Offline tzinc

this isn't basketball 1 player doesn't have that much impact compared to the rest of the team
pitching is 50% of the game and even the best player only bats around 4 times game lol and then out of those 4 abs they might be successful 1 out of 4 times

wasn't going for hrs the excuse the gave for his lousy start last year ...

Offline imref

so who does everyone think we get with our 4th round pick this year?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
They aren’t set up to do that for awhile. Meanwhile he’ll have the biggest contract in baseball - I’m not sure that’s a good situation for an incredibly streaky play to be in

They're a lot closer now