Author Topic: Major Rule Changes being considered  (Read 10458 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Major Rule Changes being considered
« Reply #25: February 06, 2019, 04:44:27 PM »
Sure, but the obvious counterargument is that the answer is to eliminate the DH everywhere.  I'd far prefer that.   I think it should matter whether your pitchers can hit or not.  I mean, why don't we suddenly start DHing for catchers?  Most of them aren't good hitters either. 

For the same reason, I favor the minimum batters for pitchers and 12-pitcher roster limit.  I'd prefer to keep it at 25, but I see the need to appease the union and there might be some quality benefit. 

Over-specialization is part of what made football tedious and unwatchable and it's doing the same to baseball.  By that I mean "too freaking many relief pitchers" and "the DH."

I’m not sure that it’s that “obvious” that the entire baseball world should change to fit the 15 teams in the National league.
Because all the schools and lower leagues have gone to the DH, you are being selected to be a pitcher based solely on your ability to pitch. Ability to hit is meaningless. So then the first time you’re regularly batting it’s agajnst majors league pitching? It’s a set up for failure and it’s not what I expect out of professional sports.

The best two pitchers at hitting over the past decade have been MadBum and Greinke.  They have wRC+ of 51 and 54 respectively. All of the hype about Max last year? WRC+ 47. The same as Chris Davis, who was the worst regular hitter in baseball last year.