Author Topic: Major Rule Changes being considered  (Read 10073 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Major Rule Changes being considered
« Reply #150: February 27, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
how would you even enforce that? make every GM record every phone call with an agent? FOIA for text messages between Mark Lerner and Scott Boras?

I'm joking, but it would be a lot better for baseball than the non-stop tweets/rumors. :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #151: March 02, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
I hate the 3 batters per pitcher minimum...it is just wrong.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/latest-on-mlb-mlbpa-rules-negotiations.html

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152: March 04, 2019, 08:51:03 PM »
Is there any consideration of going back to a balanced schedule? In a world with the wildcard the unbalanced schedule seems especially dumb. Are 7 extra Yankees-Red Sox games really that important?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #153: March 04, 2019, 08:56:08 PM »
I hate the 3 batters per pitcher minimum...it is just wrong.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/latest-on-mlb-mlbpa-rules-negotiations.html

It’s stupid.

If they want to cut down on time wasted, get rid of replay for anything other than scoring plays. Homeruns or home plate plays.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #154: March 05, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »
Replays are fine. But the call should be made from the dugout, not phoned in from someone watching on TV.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155: March 05, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Replays are fine. But the call should be made from the dugout, not phoned in from someone watching on TV.

I think having a centralized replay system makes it more efficient, no? Sort of like the NHL system in Toronto. I think it would be worse if you had Angel Hernandez or CB Bucknor Or Joe West underneath the hood evaluating replays.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #156: March 05, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
Sure, that helps, I'm just saying the coaches in the dugout should make the decision before the next pitch. No calling to someone watching in the booth, no holding up the game making the decision. If you want to challenge, you have to decide then and there.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157: March 05, 2019, 10:33:31 AM »
Sure, that helps, I'm just saying the coaches in the dugout should make the decision before the next pitch. No calling to someone watching in the booth, no holding up the game making the decision. If you want to challenge, you have to decide then and there.

Oh. I Misunderstood

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #158: March 05, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »
Is there any consideration of going back to a balanced schedule? In a world with the wildcard the unbalanced schedule seems especially dumb. Are 7 extra Yankees-Red Sox games really that important?
Schedules aren't balanced as long as you have interleague play and don't play every team the same amount of times.  Home field in the WS goes to the best record, but if you play a weak division in the opposite league, then you get an advantage.  At least the unbalanced schedule is easier on travel and promotes rivalry games.  All in all, it is better to have more games against PHI, NYM, and ATL than CHC, SF, and SD.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #159: March 05, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
I’m fine with it being someone not in the dugout, but they should have a button, if they don’t push it before next pitch, too bad. No delay to consider a challenge, either do or dont

Online imref

« Reply #160: March 06, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Active rosters expanding to 26, and no more than 28 in September:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/03/05/report-active-rosters-to-expand-to-26-players-in-2020/

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #161: March 06, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

If the idea is fans are tuning out because of mound visits ( that were heavy late in close games) I think the same applies to heavy replay stoppage because someone stole 2nd.

Play is always stopped by a team checking and then stopped to call New York.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #162: March 06, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
Bad calls tick me off much more than waiting for replay does. I think there's a difference between a game delay because a batter needs to step out of the box and perform an arcane ritual and a game delay because an important call needs to be confirmed. You can find one of these annoying and one of those worth it without being a hypocrite.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #163: March 06, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
I don't want MLB to turn into NFL, but every change they've made in the last few years seems like another step in that direction.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #164: March 06, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
I don't want MLB to turn into NFL, but every change they've made in the last few years seems like another step in that direction.

ridiculous to me that the league thinks adding more and more gimmicky rules to the game will bring fans back. the replays on slides into bases are ridiculous now and you're right - it screams NFL. rules upon rules upon rules upon rules. replays non-stop. game speed isn't the reason baseball is dead as a national sport. the pitch clock is fine but so much hand wringing over band-aid solutions

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: March 06, 2019, 11:02:36 AM »
ridiculous to me that the league thinks adding more and more gimmicky rules to the game will bring fans back. the replays on slides into bases are ridiculous now and you're right - it screams NFL. rules upon rules upon rules upon rules. replays non-stop. game speed isn't the reason baseball is dead as a national sport. the pitch clock is fine but so much hand wringing over band-aid solutions

Baseball when players are on the bases is incredibly compelling. Baseball as it is currently being played is incredibly boring.

Look at the All-Star game. Supposed to be a fun game. 25 strikeouts. 10 Home Runs. It was the most boring extra inning game I’ve ever seen. It was the perfect embodiment of baseball today. Something needs to change.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #166: March 06, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
Baseball when players are on the bases is incredibly compelling. Baseball as it is currently being played is incredibly boring.

Look at the All-Star game. Supposed to be a fun game. 25 strikeouts. 10 Home Runs. It was the most boring extra inning game I’ve ever seen. It was the perfect embodiment of baseball today. Something needs to change.

simultaneously lower the mound to increase hits and grow the strike zone to cut down on walks? It seems like you'd have to do two things at the same time- one make walks less frequent, but also make it harder to strike out a batter

Online imref

« Reply #167: March 06, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
simultaneously lower the mound to increase hits and grow the strike zone to cut down on walks? It seems like you'd have to do two things at the same time- one make walks less frequent, but also make it harder to strike out a batter

If only there were a way to cut down on foul balls.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #168: March 06, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
If only there were a way to cut down on foul balls.

while increasing base runners?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #169: March 06, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »

No. That's like saying Golf is only compelling when Golfers are on the green. PGA needs to move closer to Putt Putt

When your team is Pitching well it's incredibly compelling. When your team isn't hitting, it sucks.

Should MLB play more like a Beer Softball League in order to generate offense?

1. Cut down replays. The reality is people aren't tuning out because of Mound Visits at the end of games that are close. And Mound visits aren't being used a lot when it's a blow out. But replay is only being used for stolen bags innings, and the occasional home run or close play at first. But play is stopped by the dug out multiple times a game.

2. Black outs. Thats a huge problem. Particularly because people are leaving Cable/Satellite for apps. But living 6 hours away from where a game is being played, but still black out... we need less hurdles to jump thru in order to watch.

3. Pressure teams to not tank seasons. Take away draft picks. Tax money spent if under 100 million or something.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #170: March 06, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »

2. Black outs. Thats a huge problem. Particularly because people are leaving Cable/Satellite for apps. But living 6 hours away from where a game is being played, but still black out... we need less hurdles to jump thru in order to watch.

there are only three teams where you can't stream legally in market

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171: March 06, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
No. That's like saying Golf is only compelling when Golfers are on the green. PGA needs to move closer to Putt Putt

When your team is Pitching well it's incredibly compelling. When your team isn't hitting, it sucks.

Should MLB play more like a Beer Softball League in order to generate offense?

1. Cut down replays. The reality is people aren't tuning out because of Mound Visits at the end of games that are close. And Mound visits aren't being used a lot when it's a blow out. But replay is only being used for stolen bags innings, and the occasional home run or close play at first. But play is stopped by the dug out multiple times a game.

3. Pressure teams to not tank seasons. Take away draft picks. Tax money spent if under 100 million or something.

Except that’s not true about golf. Nobody is saying a beer league. But the game has gotten out of balance. Something needs to happen to correct it.

The hitter used to be able to tell the pitcher where he wanted the ball placed...

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #172: March 06, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »
there are only three teams where you can't stream legally in market

My understanding is if a game is on say... ESPN you can get it thru the app. That and playoff games require different app.

Also 3 teams too many

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #173: March 06, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
I really think Nate Silver is onto something when he says cap the size of pitching staffs.  He suggests 10 pitchers max.  That should cut back on Ks.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/relievers-have-broken-baseball-we-have-a-plan-to-fix-it/

As for foul balls, the lack of foul area in modern ballparks is also leading to a lot of extra pitches.  Too easy to spoil pitches.
 https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/foul-balls-are-the-pace-of-play-problem-nobodys-talking-about/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #174: March 06, 2019, 02:12:38 PM »
I really think Nate Silver is onto something when he says cap the size of pitching staffs.  He suggests 10 pitchers max.  That should cut back on Ks.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/relievers-have-broken-baseball-we-have-a-plan-to-fix-it/
then you're going to have to further balloon the rule book to tightly define positions unless you want teams just happening to have position players regularly pitching

As for foul balls, the lack of foul area in modern ballparks is also leading to a lot of extra pitches.  Too easy to spoil pitches.
 https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/foul-balls-are-the-pace-of-play-problem-nobodys-talking-about/

less fouls doesnt add base runners though