Author Topic: MASN 2019 streaming options? (Updated for 2020)  (Read 4459 times)

Offline tenken627

MASN 2019 streaming options? (Updated for 2020)
« Topic Start: February 05, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
Has anyone heard if MASN is going to start streaming Nats games online? Its incredibly frustrating since its the year 2019, and so far up until now the only place to stream is through MLB.tv's subscription which is blacked out for all local viewers.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: MASN 2019 streaming options?
« Reply #1: February 05, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »
This is probably the fifth thread in the last six months on this topic. :)

Not that I blame you for asking.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #2: February 05, 2019, 12:41:32 PM »
The short answer is no.

The long answer is technically no teams have in market streaming agreements in place for 2019, and there is a lot of speculation about how MLB will handle that this year.  MLB owns all in market streaming rights and have in the past leased them back to the various teams and networks to offer locally either with cable authentication or re-sold through services like sling/YTTV/DTV Now/etc.     This year MLB proposed a big price hike for that lease back option, and that don't go over very well, so there is talk that MLB will keep them to themselves to sell through mlb.tv locally, or sell them to the teams to do what they like with them.  Complicating things is that half of the teams RSNs are for sale as part of the Disney - Fox acquisition.   So, I expect there will be some movement soon on what this looks like in 2019.

If nothing changes though, I've used unlocator (which just spoofs location and doesn't vpn traffic) with MLB.TV.  I've chosen to put it on a secondary router fed to apple tv/roku/laptops etc that I watch the games so as to not mess with any other in house traffic.  It all works pretty slick and flawlessly for the last couple years and I'll help anyone who wants to go that route.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #3: February 05, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
This is probably the fifth thread in the last six months on this topic. :)

Not that I blame you for asking.

Oh, sorry I had no idea. Its just another facet showing how much the Angelos' are greedy scum pigs. They would rather gain television ad revenue than promote their product in modern times. I dont believe them to change this year either, because after all, this is the year of the pig!

Offline tenken627

« Reply #4: February 05, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
This year MLB proposed a big price hike for that lease back option, and that don't go over very well, so there is talk that MLB will keep them to themselves to sell through mlb.tv locally, or sell them to the teams to do what they like with them.  Complicating things is that half of the teams RSNs are for sale as part of the Disney - Fox acquisition.   So, I expect there will be some movement soon on what this looks like in 2019.

I wouldnt mind buying the mlb.tv option, the only problem is the local blackout restrictions that are in place which defeats the whole purpose.

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #5: February 05, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »
I wouldnt mind buying the mlb.tv option, the only problem is the local blackout restrictions that are in place which defeats the whole purpose.

If you make an effort, you can learn how to use Reddit streams, which could be an option since MLB.tv blackout games in the area.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #6: February 05, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
That's where unlocator comes into play.  It's $5 a month and has worked flawlessly for me to watch every game over the last couple seasons.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #7: February 05, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
If you make an effort, you can learn how to use Reddit streams, which could be an option since MLB.tv blackout games in the area.
Sort of sufficient to watch on a PC or phone, but mlb.tv/unlocator is a much better option to use Roku or Apple TV to watch on a TV.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #8: February 05, 2019, 12:57:11 PM »
Yeah, I've been using reddit streams the past year. Its just frustrating since its hit or miss on quality and the added adblocking I have to use. Come on. Its almost 2020. I'm already disappointed that we don't have flying cars or playing baseball on hoverboards, at least let me legally stream games.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: February 05, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Sort of sufficient to watch on a PC or phone, but mlb.tv/unlocator is a much better option to use Roku or Apple TV to watch on a TV.
I have been using Reddit for hockey and basketball. Don’t seem to be able to use chromecast very well to watch on the tv. Often lose the feed that way.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: February 05, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »

VPN Spoofing doesn't work on a mobile device unfortunately. I would love to watch it on this huge iPad I just got, but instead I have to pull out the laptop. I can still send to apple TV though. But it's a pain when I am on my patio

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #11: February 05, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »

I agree with you.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: February 05, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
The short answer is no.

The long answer is technically no teams have in market streaming agreements in place for 2019, and there is a lot of speculation about how MLB will handle that this year.  MLB owns all in market streaming rights and have in the past leased them back to the various teams and networks to offer locally either with cable authentication or re-sold through services like sling/YTTV/DTV Now/etc.     This year MLB proposed a big price hike for that lease back option, and that don't go over very well, so there is talk that MLB will keep them to themselves to sell through mlb.tv locally, or sell them to the teams to do what they like with them.  Complicating things is that half of the teams RSNs are for sale as part of the Disney - Fox acquisition.   So, I expect there will be some movement soon on what this looks like in 2019.

If nothing changes though, I've used unlocator (which just spoofs location and doesn't vpn traffic) with MLB.TV.  I've chosen to put it on a secondary router fed to apple tv/roku/laptops etc that I watch the games so as to not mess with any other in house traffic.  It all works pretty slick and flawlessly for the last couple years and I'll help anyone who wants to go that route.

Since mlb is a bidder, I hope this isn’t just a way to depress the value and that they’re serious about in market streaming - mlb.tv is such a high quality product compared to so many other streaming apps

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #13: February 05, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »
Since mlb is a bidder, I hope this isn’t just a way to depress the value and that they’re serious about in market streaming - mlb.tv is such a high quality product compared to so many other streaming apps
I'm not sure I follow what you mean about it being a means to depressing the value.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: February 05, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
I'm not sure I follow what you mean about it being a means to depressing the value.

if MLB renews streaming rights with RSNs on the terms they have been, fox sports net is worth a lot more than if they decline to renew and produce the content on their own

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #15: February 05, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
if MLB renews streaming rights with RSNs on the terms they have been, fox sports net is worth a lot more than if they decline to renew and produce the content on their own
The current terms of the agreements just allowed them to allow authenticated access to anyone with a cable subscription.  That doesn't really allow a whole lot of value, as they can't really monetize the streams.  It's not like the networks can cut a deal with Amazon or someone else wanting to making a splash in the sports streaming world.

I don't think MLB really wants to buy the FOX RSNs.  I'm not sure what they're motivation for being involved is.  These channels likely have a few years of profitability left, and then subscriber losses will put them upside-down against the long term rights agreements they have with the teams.   My guess is MLB is concerned that some investment company is going to buy them on the cheap, siphon of the profits while they can and let them go bust. 

MLB seems very aware that the RSN bubble is going to pop and when it does, it is going to hurt some teams a lot more than others depending on when rights agreements expire/networks go under/etc.   It seems to me they have a plan to use streaming to maybe help soften that blow, and maybe even out the playing field in terms of local media money. 

Hopefully their plan is in market mlb.tv for all, and they are buying the the fox networks so there's no resistance from 14 of the teams rights providers.   Probably just wishful thinking though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: February 05, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »
The current terms of the agreements just allowed them to allow authenticated access to anyone with a cable subscription.  That doesn't really allow a whole lot of value, as they can't really monetize the streams.  It's not like the networks can cut a deal with Amazon or someone else wanting to making a splash in the sports streaming world.

if your team has a fox RSN, you can already you can already stream in market without a cable subscription through sling

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #17: February 05, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
if your team has a fox RSN, you can already you can already stream in market without a cable subscription through sling

That's a good point.  I've never read a reason to why they are allowed to do that.  MLB could treat those services the same as they do Sat/Cable and not count that as streaming, or selling to them is part of the waiver they've leased back to the rights holders.   Since it seems to be all the same teams on those services as the ones that also offer in-market streaming, I suspect it is the latter.  In that's the case, and there is no renewal of agreements, then games on those services will be blacked out.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #18: February 05, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »
This is pretty much the only thing that keeps me connected to cable. If I could buy a streaming subscription from MASN I would do it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #19: February 05, 2019, 07:25:40 PM »
This is pretty much the only thing that keeps me connected to cable. If I could buy a streaming subscription from MASN I would do it.

This is the post that pauses each thread on this topic. I've written it myself at least twice.  :lol:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: February 05, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
This is the post that pauses each thread on this topic. I've written it myself at least twice.  :lol:
True for many folks I am sure.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: February 05, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »
Isn't that also true for the NBC sports ones also??

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #22: February 05, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »

What's holding you guys back form MLB.TV single team for $100/year and unlocator for $5/month during baseball season? 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #23: February 05, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
As we speak I am streaming the Caps game from Reddit on my PC and now casting to my TV.  Working fine tonight.  I think that's an option.

I note ESPN+ has MLB games.  I don't know how many Nats games they will carry this year.  But at $5 a month not a bad alternative.  Not sure if they blackout home games or not??

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: February 05, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
Isn't that also true for the NBC sports ones also??

I think so- the only ones I know that don’t stream are masn and the dodgers