Author Topic: Nats and Taylor went to arbitration over $3.25 vs $3.5 mill, really? REALLY?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Nick the Pig

Seems to me that he's either got a completely stupid agent, or the team is taking penny wise and pound foolish to another level...

thats a lot of money to me. lol

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
thats a lot of money to me. lol
True, but it's not a lot of money to an organization with a ~200 million dollar payroll.

250k is less than 1%. Thats like a company giving an employee with a 50k salary a raise of $70.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
True, but it's not a lot of money to an organization with a ~200 million dollar payroll.

250k is less than 1%. Thats like a company giving an employee with a 50k salary a raise of $70.

Can't tell if you suck at logic, math, or both.

Offline nfotiu

Can't tell if you suck at logic, math, or both.
I was wondering the same thing.

It is weird they couldn't just split the difference though.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
that's probably like 5 scouts worth of money

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
It seems MAT days are numbered with the Nationals.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Well, if the company has 1 employee, meaning their total payroll is 50K, 1% is still $500.  Other than those 2 details, you nailed your analogy.

And yes, MAT likely doesn't have a future with the Nats.  I think he's already trade bait, and it's easier to trade him to a cost-saving team looking for a cheap OF if he makes 250K less.  I've helped on some arbitration-eligible players for a MLB agent, and teams do NOT want to actually go to arbirtration unless they see no future with a player.  It gets ugly because you essentially argue why the player isn't worth that amount and point out all their flaws. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I've helped on some arbitration-eligible players for a MLB agent, and teams do NOT want to actually go to arbirtration unless they see no future with a player.

So the A's see no future in Treinen?

Offline nfotiu

I don't think there is anyway we let him go until Robbles can prove he's an every day MLB center fielder.  Without MAT, we have exactly no one else who can even play a couple games at CF.

Offline Slateman

I don't think there is anyway we let him go until Robbles can prove he's an every day MLB center fielder.  Without MAT, we have exactly no one else who can even play a couple games at CF.
Stevenson and Eaton can both play CF.

Offline nfotiu

Stevenson and Eaton can both play CF.
Neither of those seem like good options at all to backup a 21 year old rookie.

Offline DPMOmaha

Neither of those seem like good options at all to backup a 21 year old rookie.
They'd be perfectly find for "a couple of games".

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

So the A's see no future in Treinen?

The A's make their players pay for vending machines in the locker room.  They are the exception.

Offline Slateman

It seems MAT days are numbered with the Nationals.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1092480746592370689

Trade him to SF for Cueto and them eating most of his salary

Offline Nick the Pig

It is weird they couldn't just split the difference though.

This, exactly !

$250k is peanuts in the arena of player salaries.  Simply cannot imagine that both sides didn't want a "meet in the middle" deal.

Offline Slateman

This, exactly !

$250k is peanuts in the arena of player salaries.  Simply cannot imagine that both sides didn't want a "meet in the middle" deal.

I think we agree with each other

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline Nick the Pig

I think we agree with each other

I would hope that all Nats fans could get on board with this thing being nonsensical.

Online Natsinpwc

I would hope that all Nats fans could get on board with this thing being nonsensical.
If it’s not that much money why should it matter to either side that they go to arbitration?  In any event Taylor’s Days with the Nats are numbered. This is a yawner.

Offline Nick the Pig

If it’s not that much money why should it matter to either side that they go to arbitration?  In any event Taylor’s Days with the Nats are numbered. This is a yawner.

You're not that aware what happens in an arb hearing, are you ?

The teams's reps basically talk nonstop about what a useless piece of crap the player is, highlighting all his flaws, etc.

If you actually want a player on your roster, why go through this for a measly $250k ?

Online Natsinpwc

You're not that aware what happens in an arb hearing, are you ?

The teams's reps basically talk nonstop about what a useless piece of crap the player is, highlighting all his flaws, etc.

If you actually want a player on your roster, why go through this for a measly $250k ?
It’s business. So you don’t think that both sides do that during regular negotiations?   

Phillies are going to arbitration with Aaron Nola over millions. Now that’s a worry when you might alienate a top player who you want to sign long term. 

Will Taylor strike out even more because his feelings are hurt? Will he be shocked when he finds out just how bad his offensive stats are? Maybe he will get pissed off and actually hit the ball more.

Offline Nick the Pig

It’s business. So you don’t think that both sides do that during regular negotiations?   

Phillies are going to arbitration with Aaron Nola over millions. Now that’s a worry when you might alienate a top player who you want to sign long term. 

Will Taylor strike out even more because his feelings are hurt? Will he be shocked when he finds out just how bad his offensive stats are? Maybe he will get pissed off and actually hit the ball more.

Taylor is a marginal player who might not even be in the majors in 2020.  Nola is a genuine Star, a big shot who is
discussed as being one of the best in the game.

See the difference ?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Taylor is a marginal player who might not even be in the majors in 2020.  Nola is a genuine Star, a big shot who is
discussed as being one of the best in the game.

See the difference ?

Taylor is marginal in this outfield, but there are probably 5-10 or so teams where he would start.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1092480746592370689

Trade him to SF for Cueto and them eating most of his salary

Cueto's not going to pitch next season, and the Giants already have a guy who can play CF well and not hit for a lot less than Taylor's being paid.