Poll

Who do you think you should sign with Harper or Rendon?

Harper
3 (5.8%)
Rendon
29 (55.8%)
Washington can ignore the luxury tax and sign both.
20 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Who do you think you should sign with Harper or Rendon?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Korea_natsfan

I like Harper and Rendon.
Harper is currently FA and Rendon will be FA next year.
If you look at Washington Payroll, it's hard to sign both of them.
I want to choose Rendon. Harper's symbolism is great.
But Rendon’s contract is less risky than Harper’s.
Rendon's contract period and contract amount will be less than Harper's.
So the Rendon`s contract will help the team's liquidity.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I want Rendon and don't care if Harper stays.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

+1

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Both.

Rendon more

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

+2

...looks like a lot of us think this way...

Offline HalfSmokes

I’d rather not bank on rendon then have him walk too- if they want to resign him, do it low. If Boras won’t discuss it before Harper, take the offer to Rendon directly - I know if I was him, I’d fire my agent over that much of a conflict

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
+2

...looks like a lot of us think this way...

Malcontents      :couch:

Online Natsinpwc

Rendon all the way.

However they might lose both of them. Trade Strasburg.

Offline Senatorswin

The reason they need Rendon more is because they can replace Harper but they don't have a replacement for Rendon.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The reason they need Rendon more is because they can replace Harper but they don't have a replacement for Rendon.

Kieboom

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Malcontents      :couch:

The fan police must take Sundays off...not a peep...

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Where's the option for letting them both walk?

Online aspenbubba

+3

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Both. Prefer Harper. Higher upside.

Offline Senatorswin

No way.

I shouldn't say no way for Kieboom. I wouldn't want to rely on him though. If he pans out he can be our second baseman.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
the math works to sign both:

https://districtondeck.com/2019/01/07/washington-nationals-sign-bryce-harper-anthony-rendon/

He assumes 10/$350 for Harper, and 7/$150 for Rendon, and a desire to not go above $226 million, which puts us at $234 million in 2019.

Shed Eaton ($4.7), Taylor, ($4.5) and restructure Zimmerman's deal (currently $16.7) and the team could hit its budget goal, though with pretty much no flexibility to make any mid-season moves or add a 2B, and with little OF depth.

Offline UMDNats

Outfield depth in that scenario imref wouldn't be that bad, IMO. Harper can fill in in CF if needed and I think Kendrick even played some LF? I wonder if we'd consider giving Turner some reps there again.

LF - Soto
CF - Robles
RF - Harper

You'd think that's your OF for at least a few years, assuming that Robles is at least MAT level of play. In case of injury, in 2019, you've got Stevenson who can fill in and it won't be difficult to find 4th outfielder types on minor league deals/waiver wires/short contracts. If 2 of our 3 outfielders get hurt then depth wouldn't really help us anyways and we'd be just trying to stay afloat with Turner/Rendon/Gomes/etc.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

You want to stockpile elite players.  I wouldn't worry about depth if that's what is sacrificed to keep All Stars.  You can find bench guys and AAA depth in the bargain bins.  You don't find Harpers and Rendons. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Outfield depth in that scenario imref wouldn't be that bad, IMO. Harper can fill in in CF if needed and I think Kendrick even played some LF? I wonder if we'd consider giving Turner some reps there again.

LF - Soto
CF - Robles
RF - Harper

You'd think that's your OF for at least a few years, assuming that Robles is at least MAT level of play. In case of injury, in 2019, you've got Stevenson who can fill in and it won't be difficult to find 4th outfielder types on minor league deals/waiver wires/short contracts. If 2 of our 3 outfielders get hurt then depth wouldn't really help us anyways and we'd be just trying to stay afloat with Turner/Rendon/Gomes/etc.

Agreed.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Wtf are we talking OF depth for? Adams to LF. Show goes on. Next question

Offline tenken627

Pleasantly surprised if we sign Harper. Assuredly pissed off if we don't keep Rendon.

Offline Senatorswin

Pleasantly surprised if we sign Harper. Assuredly pissed off if we don't keep Rendon.

Well put.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
+2
Rendon is good for the team and has become one of my top 5 fave Nats (that are tied for #1 LOL). Seriously Rendon is an excellent player and an overlooked underrated player to the casual observer.