Author Topic: Who will have the next statue outside a Washington baseball park?  (Read 2292 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Same here.

I made dinner, took the dog for a walk, and read War and Peace all while he was doing it. :D

I think the seismographs thought it was 3.0

Offline Nick the Pig

I think the seismographs thought it was 3.0

I was cheering and laughing the whole time...

Offline Senatorswin

Jeffrey Loria for all he did to facilitate the move

Amen. If Jeffrey had been a better owner there most likely would be no Washington Nationals today.

Offline Optics

Zimmerman should get a statue. Yeah he's been an injury prone inconsistent player lately but he was our first draft pick and our first real franchise player, our bright spot in our darkest years. He deserves a statue.

Offline Nick the Pig

Zimmerman should get a statue. Yeah he's been an injury prone inconsistent player lately but he was our first draft pick and our first real franchise player, our bright spot in our darkest years. He deserves a statue.

This.  A thousand times this...

Offline LoveAngelos

Zimm was a real "corner turner" for the prospects for this franchise...........how cool would it be to say "Yeah, myself and U.S. Grant and ole Abe have a public statue in the same city"............I think the right fielder stopped to read War and Peace while Dimitri was on his scamper

Online BigMeech

Ryan Zimmerman definitely should.  Notwithstanding his significance to the history of the franchise, he'll probably retire with 2,000+ hits and 300+ home runs barring his body finally 100% failing him, all in a Nationals uniform.

Hopefully whomever designs it isn't the same person who designed the current ones.  Zim deserves a proper statue!

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
Ryan Zimmerman definitely should.  Notwithstanding his significance to the history of the franchise, he'll probably retire with 2,000+ hits and 300+ home runs barring his body finally 100% failing him, all in a Nationals uniform.

Hopefully whomever designs it isn't the same person who designed the current ones.  Zim deserves a proper statue!

Will his statue be in a walking boot too?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

At his average rate of production over the past five years it will take Zimmerman three more seasons starting at first to hit those totals. Do you really want three years of barely over replacement level offense and bad defense at first just so Zimmm can hit some milestone numbers?

Offline LoveAngelos

It will be telling what his role this spring training will be.

If Bryce stays his statue would be a reproduction of a Brinks truck

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Zimmerman has been a key part of this Franchise and deserves to be honored when he's done, but statues are for LEGENDS.  Michael Jordan types get statues.  Ryan Zimmerman can have his jersey retired or something. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Zimmerman has been a key part of this Franchise and deserves to be honored when he's done, but statues are for LEGENDS.  Michael Jordan types get statues.  Ryan Zimmerman can have his jersey retired or something. 

Agreed.  Ted Lerner would get a statue, that's about it.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Agreed.  Ted Lerner would get a statue, that's about it.

Scherzer gets a statue if he leads Nats to a championship AND is elected to the Hall of Fame. He’s the only one on the current roster that is even in the neighborhood of even a statue diccusion. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline houston-nat

Scherzer should get one of those plasticky modern art statues that's just two eyeballs with different colors.

Like this, but with a brown one next to it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Scherzer should get one of those plasticky modern art statues that's just two eyeballs with different colors.

Like this, but with a brown one next to it.

(Image removed from quote.)

I walk past that eye all the time. Right next to Campisi Pizza.

Offline LoveAngelos

Offline Nick the Pig

Scherzer gets a statue if he leads Nats to a championship AND is elected to the Hall of Fame. He’s the only one on the current roster that is even in the neighborhood of even a statue diccusion. 

When did you become a Nats fan, exactly ?

Zimmerman is the first TRUE Nat.  The Original.  First draft pick.  And a relative hometown boy.

He was the constant while the Nats were sucking early on.  HoF'er ?  Nope.  But a statute, yep.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
When did you become a Nats fan, exactly ?

Zimmerman is the first TRUE Nat.  The Original.  First draft pick.  And a relative hometown boy.

He was the constant while the Nats were sucking early on.  HoF'er ?  Nope.  But a statute, yep.

Not sure why I am engaging, but sure. All I know is that for almost every stadium if a player gets a statue, he either has a ring or he's in the Hall of Fame. That being said, Frank Howard has neither and has a statue. But that might be a reflection of the state of baseball here.

Here is a list of all the stadiums in baseball

https://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/12/4717256/major-league-baseball-ballpark-stadium-statues

Offline LoveAngelos

I think the Frank Howard statue is a bow to the generation of fans who grew up with the expansion Senators and we're the Nationals most enthusiastic early  supporters.
Another such generation and maybe Mickey Vernon's likeness is greeting fans each game day

Offline Nick the Pig

Not sure why I am engaging

Because you got your education in Michigan, of all places !

Breathing all that cold air has a negative effect on the brain... :P

Ryan Zimmerman IS Washington Nationals baseball.

And you'd know that if you were an actual fan.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I vote for a Statue of David with a red Nats cap.

Offline LoveAngelos

David who??????

Davey Johnson you mean?
Not enough time with the team though the way he f'd with Angelos when he was in Balmer may merit consideration

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I vote for a Statue of David with a red Nats cap.
Venus de Milo probably had the mobility and arm strength of some of our players.