Would You Support an Expos Night at Nats Parl

Yes
20 (48.8%)
No
16 (39%)
Don’t Care
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?
« Reply #75: December 28, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
Sure, as soon as the Twins and the Rangers wore Senators uni's.

The only time I went to a rangers game in Texas I walked in the stadium and was surprised and happy to see the rangers players were in Senators uniforms. It was a tribute to the Senators with throw back jersey night.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: December 28, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
Sure, as soon as the Twins and the Rangers wore Senators uni's.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/487332
Twins wore a "Washington" uniform in 2001 to celebrate the franchise's 100th anniversary.  The Rangers have done it multiple times.

The Twins have a great history when it comes to uniforms - both of the Twins and of the various minor league clubs which have called the Twin Cities home over the years. That didn't stop the team from going back to a pre-Minnesota franchise look for just one game in 2001 when, as part of the 100th anniversary celebrations of the American League, they wore the uniforms of the 1901 Washington Senators.
Finally there's the Texas Rangers, a team who longed to belong with the other throwback teams so much that they created their own fake 1920s uniforms in the early 90s just to play along. They ended up finally wearing the uniforms of the 1960s Washington Senators, the team they were before relocating to Texas in 1972, for several games in 2002 and again in 2008. The Rangers are one of two non-Washington teams to wear Washington-based throwback jerseys, along with the previously mentioned Minnesota Twins.

So, now I suppose you are gung-ho for a full blown Montreal uni?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: December 28, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
The butthurt here is strong.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78: December 28, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »
Not entirely convinced. It was the Nationals being a new team that brought me to them in 2005 - as fans, we'd all start from a level playing field, without all of the 'I've followed the (team) since Adam was a lad' or 'I'm 4th generation (team)' that new fans of any team tend to encounter. With my English sense of rooting for the underdog, my only interest in the Expos was that they were regularly so spectacularly woeful (although thinking about the Nationals to 2010...). And, with my love of supporters ironic names (hence 'Natsie') I always preferred the Who Deys.

You haven’t been on this board that much then. People are always bringing up old Senators players here.  If you search the term “Frank Howard” you get 37 pages of results.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: December 28, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
you could also search for "Deolosius 'Rusty' Bucket" if you want some real nostalgia.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #80: December 28, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Just because the Twins and Rangers wore Senators unis doesn't automatically make it ok to do an Expos night.

Each city has its down relationship to its new team and its own baseball history. Washington is the only city that I can think of that has such a rich baseball history that had not just one but two teams taken away from it and then go 34 years before getting one back. And there was a lot of resentment from the fan base for being passed over all those years by less deserving cities.

For some (and I guess I'm one now that I'm thinking it through) the memory of the Expos moving here was bittersweet in that it took so long and there were so many conditions attached to the move. That includes the awkward relationship the Nats have with their Expos past, the bad MASN deal, making the city pay for the ballpark, etc.

A lot of the old time fans would prefer a cordial nod to the Expos legacy and not a big smooch.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #81: December 28, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
Just because the Twins and Rangers wore Senators unis doesn't automatically make it ok to do an Expos night.

Each city has its down relationship to its new team and its own baseball history. Washington is the only city that I can think of that has such a rich baseball history that had not just one but two teams taken away from it and then go 34 years before getting one back. And there was a lot of resentment from the fan base for being passed over all those years by less deserving cities.

For some (and I guess I'm one now that I'm thinking it through) the memory of the Expos moving here was bittersweet in that it took so long and there were so many conditions attached to the move. That includes the awkward relationship the Nats have with their Expos past, the bad MASN deal, making the city pay for the ballpark, etc.

A lot of the old time fans would prefer a cordial nod to the Expos legacy and not a big smooch.

A one night stand.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #82: December 28, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
A one night stand.

Just be careful about the STDs.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #83: December 28, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
you could also search for "Deolosius 'Rusty' Bucket" if you want some real nostalgia.
:spit: :lmao: 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: December 28, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »
BiL - not going to argue with any of your points now, but I more or less wanted to point out to folks saying "what do the Twins and Rangers do?" that that argument does not help their case. As you say, the argument should be based  on DC and franchise history, not Dallas and Min/St Paul tradition.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #85: December 28, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
Arlington...  :whistle:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: December 28, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
Arlington...  :whistle:
doing my best to keep Fort Worth out of the discussion.  Cow town.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #87: December 28, 2018, 06:39:37 PM »
BiL - not going to argue with any of your points now, but I more or less wanted to point out to folks saying "what do the Twins and Rangers do?" that that argument does not help their case. As you say, the argument should be based  on DC and franchise history, not Dallas and Min/St Paul tradition.

I'm not sure I'm saying anything that's worth arguing because I might be purely projecting my feelings and no one else feels the same way. I'm still pissed that MLB jerked Washington around all those years and now they continue to jerk us around with the whole Expos legacy. I don't know if anyone else makes that link though.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #88: January 01, 2019, 11:12:36 AM »
Quote from: The Chief on May 28, 2009, 11:29:26 AM
"I initially became an Expos fan in 2001 just to spite my roommate who was a Braves fan.  Over time I just became an Expos fan, period (always been a "root for the underdog" kind of guy).  Then the Expos moved to town and became the Nats, so I just continued being a fan."

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #89: January 01, 2019, 06:21:42 PM »
Right *here* Montreal, you cheese and poutine eating, wine drinking incomprehensible Francophiles.

Apologies to The Chief...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #90: January 01, 2019, 06:41:10 PM »
Can we not bash poutine please ?

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #91: January 01, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
Can we not bash poutine please ?

I mean, chili cheese fries are pretty good...

Just *gravy* on them though ?

I'm sorry, that's every bit as lame as putting mayo on fries...

Even vinegar on fries is better !

Offline imref

« Reply #92: January 01, 2019, 10:24:18 PM »
I mean, chili cheese fries are pretty good...

Just *gravy* on them though ?

I'm sorry, that's every bit as lame as putting mayo on fries...

Even vinegar on fries is better !

uh, it's not just gravy, it's HOT gravy poured over cheese curds, causing them to melt.  I've had it once with bacon as well, it's food nirvana.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #93: January 01, 2019, 10:51:45 PM »
uh, it's not just gravy, it's HOT gravy poured over cheese curds, causing them to melt.  I've had it once with bacon as well, it's food nirvana.

My god.  Are you by birth or by choice a freakin' frog ?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #94: January 10, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
I haven't gone back and read the whole thread, so apologies if someone else has thrown out this idea. If the Nats were to do an Expos night (or day)—and I emphasize the word "if" because I'm not taking a position yea or nay on whether to have an Expos night—then they ought to do it right. Wait until they're playing Toronto at Nats Park in whatever year the interleague matchups call for that. Do the Expos thing against Toronto. Go all-out, too—sing "O Canada" in the bilingual fashion done in Montreal. (I know the lyrics in both languages, but if I sing it, nobody will remain for the game, so bring in Bob McDonald from the Caps, as he also knows the French lyrics and sings them when the Caps play the Canadiens.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #95: January 10, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
I'd rather have a Letterkenny night.

Offline imref

« Reply #96: January 10, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
I'd rather have a Letterkenny night.

we could probably get Lenny and Squiggy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #97: January 10, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
we could probably get Lenny and Squiggy.

Characters developed by the actors while attending college in W. PA.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #98: January 13, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
On Expos night would the PA be in French?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99: January 13, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Isn't Quebec French sort of a dialect based on the French of the 1600s and 1700s?  Not quite middle English, but something that can confuse a speaker from France? 

Also, is Jerry Lewis considered a genius in Quebec?
The French daily newspaper Libération stated it clearly and simply on its front page: “Génie Lewis” (“Lewis the Genius”), summarizing in two words what the French have thought of the American comedian since the early 1950s.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/arts/why-france-understood-jerry-lewis-as-america-never-did.html