Would You Support an Expos Night at Nats Parl

Yes
20 (48.8%)
No
16 (39%)
Don’t Care
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?  (Read 4238 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?
« Topic Start: December 24, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
Zuckerman posted an article about a possible Expos night, akin to when the Carolina Hurricanes wore Hartford Whaler jerseys.

He says that he think many fans would hate this. And there are a lot of people who seemed resistant in the comments.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2018/12/would-anyone-support-expos-day-at-nationals-park.html

I don’t see why it’s a big deal. It would be one night, and there are Nats fans who came over from the Montreal Days. If there can be a Cat-Urday, there can be an Expos day.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Would you support an Expos night at Nats Park?
« Reply #1: December 24, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
No. The Expos were Canadian.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: December 24, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
Seems pointless

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #3: December 24, 2018, 05:15:28 PM »
Nope

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: December 24, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
Seems pointless

Is there a point to any of the theme nights?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #5: December 24, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »
Voted "Don't Care".     I'm not averse to anything that makes 'em happy.    It would be pretty cool if we could get some real Expo fans in the house.      Personally   :shrug:         Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste there's a Virginia Tech night and that place is almost as far as Montreal.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: December 24, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
sure, why not?  But only if they serve poutine.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: December 24, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
Great idea, I'd start out the night with this:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: December 24, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
This one is definitely getting played:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: December 24, 2018, 07:13:54 PM »
Hail to the thief

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: December 24, 2018, 08:31:20 PM »
Expos unis > Nats unis, and I think the team has more connection to the Expos than the Grays, but I sense some animosity to the Expos franchise, not just a shrug and indifference.  This would be the year to do something because it is the 25th anniversary of 1994, but the fact that most folks in Washington would say, "1994?" probably tells you that it is a bad idea to do anything in this town.   Maybe schedule an exhibition or a series in Montreal instead.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #11: December 24, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
Maybe schedule an exhibition or a series in Montreal instead.

Maybe put a minor league team in Montreal, if those poutine eating frogs will admit that they are a minor league country. :)

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #12: December 24, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »
Expos unis > Nats unis, and I think the team has more connection to the Expos than the Grays, but I sense some animosity to the Expos franchise, not just a shrug and indifference.  This would be the year to do something because it is the 25th anniversary of 1994, but the fact that most folks in Washington would say, "1994?" probably tells you that it is a bad idea to do anything in this town.   Maybe schedule an exhibition or a series in Montreal instead.

I'd like to see the Nats where road uniforms that pay homage to Montreal. Powder Blue with a tri-color curly W on the left chest with Nationals in block don't underneath. Honestly take the old expos "elb" and turn it upside down.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #13: December 24, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »
They’ve had expos nights at Habs games. Makes sense, as it’s meaningful for that area. Senators nights make sense here.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: December 24, 2018, 11:19:15 PM »
Is there a point to any of the theme nights?

Extra ticket sales or to entertain people going to the game- this seems to do neither

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #15: December 25, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »
Extra ticket sales or to entertain people going to the game- this seems to do neither

Merchandise sales too. The Hurricanes sold out of their initial run of Whalers jerseys, and a portion of sales went to a charity in Hartford.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: December 25, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
Merchandise sales too. The Hurricanes sold out of their initial run of Whalers jerseys, and a portion of sales went to a charity in Hartford.
actually, those old whalers unis are classics.   Definitely the powder blue expos unis with maybe the M flipped upside down for a W would be a nice look.  Heck, Montreal had some good looking white home unis, too.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #17: December 25, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
I'd like to see the Nats where road uniforms that pay homage to Montreal. Powder Blue with a tri-color curly W on the left chest with Nationals in block don't underneath. Honestly take the old expos "elb" and turn it upside down.

I'd be OK with a road game. If we did an Expos night at Nats Park I'd want Frank Underwood to throw out the first pitch and thank them for losing the team.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #18: December 25, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
I'd be OK with a road game. If we did an Expos night at Nats Park I'd want Frank Underwood to throw out the first pitch and thank them for losing the team.

I'd be fine with melding the heritage, but not a distinct expos night. Just uniforms that harken back to the design of the expos unis. This team is in DC, and even as a former expos fan, they should make the expos unis into DC naming.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #19: December 25, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
No. We aren't the Expos.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: December 25, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
No. We aren't the Expos.

The Hurricanes aren’t the Whalers but somehow they had a popular and successful promotion. It’s unclear to me why there is such a large degree of resistance to even a token acknowledgement of the team history.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #21: December 25, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Team History??? Where's the link?  Might as well have World's Fair night at Nats Park.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: December 25, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »
Team History??? Where's the link?  Might as well have World's Fair night at Nats Park.
heck of a lot more link than the Homestead Grays.  Same franchise, same league.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #23: December 25, 2018, 08:40:30 PM »
We may as well have a Texas Rangers day

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #24: December 26, 2018, 03:19:39 AM »
The Hurricanes aren’t the Whalers but somehow they had a popular and successful promotion. It’s unclear to me why there is such a large degree of resistance to even a token acknowledgement of the team history.

Well, decades of MLB history already existed and then was largely ignored by the league during the multi-generational local baseball drought. There is little patience for the niceties as it were of history that takes the focus off of this market, one which dwarfs in size most of the ones MLB usd to leverage scores of markets into sweetheart stadium deals before Montreal couldn't manage the same despite years of efforts, including lawsuits.

Combine that with the MASN debacle that MLB has foisted on this market, and prentending we're all just fine with tipping the hat to MLB etc. is not high on the hit parade. As with the Browns, leave the records of Montreal in that market, as well as any exercises in nostalgia.