Author Topic: Anibal - Rhymes with Cannibal - Sanchez  (Read 2421 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: Anibel - Rhymes with Cannibal - Sanchez
« Topic Start: December 20, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »
Pitchers changing their pitch mix is a trend that has completely turned around some guy's careers...including Corbin and now Anibal of the Nats.  It's similar to the whole launch angle movement for hitters (Daniel Murphy). 

I like what I see when you look under the hood.  The lowest hard hit rate in all of baseball.  Good K rate.  Low walks.  He made 3 starts (4 appearances) against us last year and had a 1.50 ERA and held us to a .576 OPS.  Nice to move him from the rival Braves. 

There is a proven trend that explains his season last year.  Look at Charlie Morton as another guy in his mid-30s that started doing something different with his pitch mix and skyrocketed.  19 mill over 2 years isn't that much to pay, even if Sanchez becomes just an average mid-rotation guy.  If he keeps close to the same numbers again as last year, then we got a steal. 

If he has a few DL trips and makes 25 starts, then I'm fine with using a Fedde to fill in for a handful of starts.  I want a vet like Sanchez healthy down the stretch when we could be playing huge games against the Braves/Phils/Mets.