Author Topic: Nationals Sign Patrick Corbin  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Nationals Sign Patrick Corbin
« Reply #50: December 04, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
Good move. Wonder if they move Stras to #3 to give teams a break in RHP.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #51: December 04, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
Good move. Wonder if they move Stras to #3 to give teams a break in RHP.

I don't think that's necessary until the team is either fighting for a playoff spot down the stretch or actually preparing the playoff rotation.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #52: December 04, 2018, 07:57:08 PM »
Eh, I dont think the billionaires will go into the luxury tax again

I think Ted is going to sign Bryce. When you are as rich as he is, at his age...I think this will be about Teds legacy in the end.  And one thing about Bryce, he offsets some of his own cost.   Only issue is whether you can get under the luxury tax some how.  You could trade Roark, Taylor, Eaton???   Anyway, don't sleep on Ted. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #53: December 04, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »
I think Ted is going to sign Bryce. When you are as rich as he is, at his age...I think this will be about Teds legacy in the end.  And one thing about Bryce, he offsets some of his own cost.   Only issue is whether you can get under the luxury tax some how.  You could trade Roark, Taylor, Eaton???   Anyway, don't sleep on Ted.

They've had a pattern of sticking with their initial offer...they go in with their best and last.  Unless Royce want's to come crawling back for $300MM over 10 and no opt outs, I don't see that happening...at all...

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #54: December 04, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
They've had a pattern of sticking with their initial offer...they go in with their best and last.  Unless Royce want's to come crawling back for $300MM over 10 and no opt outs, I don't see that happening...at all...

Yeah, the current offer to Harper is the final offer.  Funny, maybe Harper, his wife,  and Boras are the only three people who believe he's worth more than this offer.  Given the needs of this team, I'd rather have Corbin for six years at $140mm (+ draft picks) than Harper at $300mm for ten years.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #55: December 04, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »
Yankees fans are saying it was an overpay and citing his W/L record. :lmao: :lmao:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #56: December 04, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »
Yankees fans are saying it was an overpay and citing his W/L record. :lmao: :lmao:

Every Yankees fan is saying that?

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #57: December 04, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »
I dunno - you tell me.  They're in the same division as your Orioles.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: December 04, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
Yanks and Phillies fans doing the same things Nats fans would do if they had not gotten Corbin. “Had only one good year”. “Ready for another TJ surgery.”  “Six years is too long.”  Etc. All quite predictable. If Harper signs with the Nats wait until we see some of the reversals done here. Some posters will look like pretzels.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #59: December 04, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
I dunno - you tell me.  They're in the same division as your Orioles.
Oh man. Low BLO. 

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #60: December 04, 2018, 11:15:11 PM »
Yanks and Phillies fans doing the same things Nats fans would do if they had not gotten Corbin. “Had only one good year”. “Ready for another TJ surgery.”  “Six years is too long.”  Etc. All quite predictable. If Harper signs with the Nats wait until we see some of the reversals done here. Some posters will look like pretzels.

I'll stick to my guns - signing Harp is a waste of money.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #61: December 05, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/status/1070264528951263232

Which may be a reason for this exchange:"If you're a contender, do you want Greinke at three years and $104M or Corbin at six and $140?"
GM:"No brainer. Greinke."

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #62: December 05, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/status/1070264528951263232

Were the Diamondbacks simply going to give us Greinke, or is the author of that tweet ignoring that the Arizona would also want prospects in return?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #63: December 05, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »
Were the Diamondbacks simply going to give us Greinke, or is the author of that tweet ignoring that the Arizona would also want prospects in return?
It seems like the Dbacks are willing to trade Grienke for salary relief

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #64: December 05, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
It seems like the Dbacks are willing to trade Grienke for salary relief

Greinke for Roark straight up.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #65: December 05, 2018, 10:36:17 AM »
i'm shocked a mystery GM wanted a really good pitcher on a 3-year deal vs a 6-year deal. thanks for the info, peter

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: December 05, 2018, 10:56:27 AM »
i'm shocked a mystery GM wanted a really good pitcher on a 3-year deal vs a 6-year deal. thanks for the info, peter

lol

Online imref

« Reply #67: December 05, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »

And you didn't have to pay for that info!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #68: December 05, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »

The newsworthy bit might be that the pitcher on the 3 year deal is already 35 and is owed over $30 million a year.  When the team he's on is willing to essentially give him away and a GM is saying he'd rather have that than the dude you just signed, it's not a fantastic review.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #69: December 05, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
with deferrals, Lerner will be paying this team for 20 years.

No they won't. The Lerners know how to "fine print" a contract.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #70: December 05, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »
Corbin didn't have a random spike in performance last year.  He started throwing his slider a lot more, and it's the best swing and miss pitch in baseball.  Or was last year. 

Online imref

« Reply #71: December 05, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
Corbin didn't have a random spike in performance last year.  He started throwing his slider a lot more, and it's the best swing and miss pitch in baseball.  Or was last year. 

he was arguably the third or fourth best pitcher in the NL last year, so I'm glad we got him.  He's not a guy who relies on overpowering stuff so hopefully he ages more like Tom Glavine and less like King Felix

Nats Arms Race with his analysis:
http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=15547

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #72: December 05, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »
he was arguably the third or fourth best pitcher in the NL last year, so I'm glad we got him.  He's not a guy who relies on overpowering stuff so hopefully he ages more like Tom Glavine and less like King Felix

Agreed.  We needed an impact starter, and like it or not, he was the only real guy out there.  I'm not a fan of Keuchel and how he's been trending.  To trade for somebody would cost what little prospect stock we have. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #73: December 05, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »

His slider is overpowering.

It's right to be suspicious of a guy having a career year in a contract year

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #74: December 05, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
On a one-year basis, maybe (but you still need to add in Rosenthal, who would be the third member of that and does push the money up a bit).  The "splurge" part of Corbin isn't 1 year at a 23mm AAV; it's 6 of them.
yes.  he's not being paid ace money.  this is what you pay for a FA #2 / #3 starter.

6 years is risky for 2x tommy john guy, but maybe there were some successes this past year among multi-TJS arms. Corbin, Eovaldi, Venters come to mind pretty quickly.  I hope the Nats know what they are looking at in terms of elbows.  They seemed to have guessed right on JZ, and seem to have been willing to pay for Stras near the end of the projected span for his elbow, too.