Author Topic: 2019 lineup as constructed today  (Read 3473 times)

Offline rileyn

2019 lineup as constructed today
« Topic Start: November 29, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
With our current roster on November 29:

RF - Eaton
SS - Turner
LF - Soto
3B - Rendon
1B - Zimmerman
2B - Kendrick
C - Suzuki
CF - Robles

Hopefully Robles will start to hit with some pop and we can move him up in the order.  I guess you could also bat Robles -first/second and move Turner down.

Scherzer
Strasburg
Roark
Ross
Fedde

Difo - IF
Taylor - OF
Keiboom - C
Other bench player?

Doolittle
Bearclaw
Rosenthal
Suero
Miller
Grace
Glover
Cordero

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: 2019 lineup as constructed today
« Reply #1: November 29, 2018, 06:20:27 PM »
We're screwed. :hang:

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #2: November 29, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
Lineup is not good awful. I'm hoping we bring Murphy back and add a couple SPs at this point.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #3: November 29, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
Barraclough...may as well get used to it...  ;)

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #4: November 29, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
Lineup wise, I don't think it's bad at all. But it requires Zimm to be healthy and at the top or near top of his potential for the season. And that seems unlikely given his history over the last 5 years.

Unfortunately for this roster, a lot has to go right in the health department. And that seems unlikely.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: November 29, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
Robles starts in the minors.

That lineup is going to look awful in June with Zim, Howie, and at least one other on the DL

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: November 30, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »

That lineup is going to look awful in June with Zim, Howie, and at least one other on the DL

Eaton, the Designated DL Midget.  It's also going to look rough with 70ish games of Spencer Kieboom. 

But I dig the idea of sticking Rendon in as a second rightfielder and leaving 3B open.  It's like a giant infield shift, but even more philosophically-grounded.

Online dracnal

« Reply #7: November 30, 2018, 10:36:42 AM »
With our current roster on November 29:

RF - Eaton
SS - Turner
LF - Soto
RF - Rendon
1B - Zimmerman
2B - Kendrick
C - Suzuki
CF - Robles

I think this lineup has a pretty crowded outfield and a big infield question mark...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: November 30, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »
I think this lineup has a pretty crowded outfield and a big infield question mark...

I wonder what we got for Turner

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: November 30, 2018, 10:45:03 AM »

Uh no. Unless he’s traded Robles is starting the season in CF.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #10: November 30, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
Uh no. Unless he’s traded Robles is starting the season in CF.
They're not going to risk another Super Two fiasco. Particularly since that lineup and no pitching isn't going to get you to 80 games. They'll wait until later in the season.

Offline Expos

« Reply #11: November 30, 2018, 10:50:31 PM »
RF - Eaton
SS - Turner
LF - Soto
3B - Rendon
1B - Zimmerman
2B - ?
C - Gomes
CF - Robles

Difo - IF
Taylor - OF
Kendrick - IF/OF
Lefty 1B

That's a nice looking lineup.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #12: December 04, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
With our current roster on December 4:

RF - Eaton
SS - Turner
LF - Soto
3B - Rendon
1B - Zimmerman
2B - Kendrick
C - Suzuki/Gomes
CF - Robles

Hopefully Robles will start to hit with some pop and we can move him up in the order.  I guess you could also bat Robles -first/second and move Turner down.

Scherzer
Strasburg
Corbin
Roark
Ross

Difo - IF
Taylor - OF
Gomes/Suzuki - C
Other bench player?

Doolittle
Bearclaw
Rosenthal
Suero
Miller
Grace
Glover
Cordero

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Nationals Sign Patrick Corbin
« Reply #13: December 08, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »
Corbin is a good signing given the budget consfraints of the owners. Nobody should kid themselves. The Lerners are cheap. Harper is gone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/07/mark-lerner-bryce-harper-i-think-theyve-decided-move/?utm_term=.4325ee536a63
More important to re-sign Rendon. I think Harps new team will regret the contract within several years. Get one more SP and let Roark ( too expensive at 10 M) go. Let Ross , Fedde , Hellickson fight it out for the 5th spot. Add a lefty 1B ( Matt Adams) or Murph to back up Kendrick and Zimm on a regular basis.The only gamble is Robles and if he is not ready I would go with Taylor unless you can trade him for a good piece.

Offline Mattionals

Re: Re: Nationals Sign Patrick Corbin
« Reply #14: December 08, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
Are people still saying the Lerners are cheap? Pretty sure the Nats had the 2nd largest payroll in MLB last year. Not signing Harper doesn't mean the payroll is going to magically drop to middle of the pack. The Nats will still have a high dollar team, so it's not about being cheap, it's about spreading their money around a bit more since spending all on one guy who plays a position of good depth on the Nats doesn't fill the holes the Nats need to fill.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: December 08, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
Are people still saying the Lerners are cheap? Pretty sure the Nats had the 2nd largest payroll in MLB last year. Not signing Harper doesn't mean the payroll is going to magically drop to middle of the pack. The Nats will still have a high dollar team, so it's not about being cheap, it's about spreading their money around a bit more since spending all on one guy who plays a position of good depth on the Nats doesn't fill the holes the Nats need to fill.
I think for most of us it has been that they would pay for the stars but maybe not fill up the roster with needed depth.  Allowing the trade for Gomes after signing Suzuki is a good sign.  As is not paying crazy money for Harper.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #16: December 08, 2018, 10:12:40 AM »
I think for most of us it has been that they would pay for the stars but maybe not fill up the roster with needed depth.  Allowing the trade for Gomes after signing Suzuki is a good sign.  As is not paying crazy money for Harper.

Depth is always a gamble though. The Nats signed Kendrick as a bench bat, and then he tore his achillies. Sometimes those minor league contracts for pitchers work, and other times they are dumpster fires. The continued depth and development of pitching is what the organization lacks. I don't think that is about being cheap.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: December 08, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
Depth is always a gamble though. The Nats signed Kendrick as a bench bat, and then he tore his achillies. Sometimes those minor league contracts for pitchers work, and other times they are dumpster fires. The continued depth and development of pitching is what the organization lacks. I don't think that is about being cheap.

The whole point of depth is a hedge so you’re not really gambling. So that if any one guy gets injured/doesn’t pan out you aren’t completely screwed. It’s part of the reason that the Dodgers made the World Series despite a bunch of injuries.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #18: December 08, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
I thought Bearclaw was Koda Glover's new nickname for a second.

Offline Air Desmond

« Reply #19: December 09, 2018, 02:13:39 AM »
Batting Robles 8th would be setting him up for failure. Usually you want a veteran, or somebody experienced hitting in front of the pitcher. It’s a hard job.

Robles
Turner
Rendon
Soto
Zimmerman
Gomes
Difo
Eaton

I love Robles and Turner at the top. Imagine those guys on the basepaths. Playing mind games with the pitcher. They both have pop, too.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #20: December 09, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
Batting Robles 8th would be setting him up for failure. Usually you want a veteran, or somebody experienced hitting in front of the pitcher. It’s a hard job.

Robles
Turner
Rendon
Soto
Zimmerman
Gomes
Difo
Eaton

I love Robles and Turner at the top. Imagine those guys on the basepaths. Playing mind games with the pitcher. They both have pop, too.

Second highest OBP on the team last year and you want to hit Eaton 8th so an unproven prospect can leadoff?

You're an idiot

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #21: December 09, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »

Robles
Turner
Rendon
Soto
Zimmerman
Gomes
Difo
Eaton

Actually, this sort of cries out for hitting Robles 9th before Turner and Eaton.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: December 09, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »
How about Corbin’s slider.

Offline Expos

« Reply #23: December 16, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
Starters:

C - Yan Gomes
1B - Ryan Zimmerman
2B- ?
3B - Anthony Rendon
SS - Trea Turner
LF - Juan Soto
CF - Victor Robles
RF - Adam Eaton

Bench:

2B - Howie Kendrick
IF- Wilmer Difo
1B- Matt Adams
OF- Michael Taylor
C- Kurt Suzuki

Rotation:

1- Max Scherzer
2- Patrick Corbin
3- Stephen Strasburg
4- ?
5- Joe Ross / Erick Fedde

Pen:

Sean Doolittle
Trevor Rosenthal
Kyle Barraclough
Matt Grace
Justin Miller
Wander Suero
-------------
Tanner Rainey
Koda Glover
Sammy Solis

So we still need a #4 starter, a starting 2B and fiqure out who is the 7th guy in the pen.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #24: December 16, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »
Starters:

C - Yan Gomes
1B - Ryan Zimmerman
2B- ?
3B - Anthony Rendon
SS - Trea Turner
LF - Juan Soto
CF - Victor Robles
RF - Adam Eaton

Bench:

2B - Howie Kendrick
IF- Wilmer Difo
1B- Matt Adams
OF- Michael Taylor
C- Kurt Suzuki

Rotation:

1- Max Scherzer
2- Patrick Corbin
3- Stephen Strasburg
4- ?
5- Joe Ross / Erick Fedde

Pen:

Sean Doolittle
Trevor Rosenthal
Kyle Barraclough
Matt Grace
Justin Miller
Wander Suero
-------------
Tanner Rainey
Koda Glover
Sammy Solis

So we still need a #4 starter, a starting 2B and fiqure out who is the 7th guy in the pen.

That outfield looks serviceable if we can find a good second baseman.  If Harper does end up back here, then the second base situation is probably serviceable, and we can turn Eaton into some pitching and/or 2b pieces.  The line-up as-is is probably not good enough.