Author Topic: A Legacy of Failure  (Read 1480 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
A Legacy of Failure
« Topic Start: November 11, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »

NSFW

The 2012-2018 are the most talented team to never win anything of note

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: A Legacy of Failure
« Reply #1: November 11, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »
There was a pretty good show on MLB Network today (10 AM) about the Expos. 

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #2: November 11, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »

NSFW

The 2012-2018 are the most talented team to never win anything of note

I never cared much about the Expos, but this one really captures the historical futility of the last 6+ years.   After watching it, I resent Storen, Gio, Baker, and Williams more than ever.   Most recently, Werth should've never been allowed to start all five games of the 2017 NLDS.  That's 100% on Baker.  Werth didn't lose that last one in the lights -- he simply whiffed on it.  Less obvious, that Bermuda triangle CF in Game 3 would've be run down by any left fielder with average speed.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #3: November 12, 2018, 04:34:59 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  The MLB show with Expos/Nats wasn't shown here in OBX

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: November 12, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »
That was depressing.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: November 12, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
I don’t think it was on here either. Just as well. Will take a pass. I have enough depression in my life without reliving those failures.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #6: November 12, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
I was aware of the "history" of the Expos but never delved into it.    Watching that program on the MLB Network yesterday gave me an insight into how the fans in Montreal got hosed.    I posted it as a more in-depth precursor to Slate's post.   That program made Slate's post all the more sad.

Online Slateman

« Reply #7: November 12, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
I forgot that Loria owned the Expos. How has this clown been allowed in baseball for so long?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: November 12, 2018, 08:33:45 AM »
I forgot that Loria owned the Expos. How has this clown been allowed in baseball for so long?

Seeing Selig, and his history with Montreal and Washington, makes me appreciate what a dick he really is.    He screwed Montreal and then he left le grande crapaud running our TV Network.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #9: November 12, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
Have to say, those tri-colored hats and uniquely lettered/colored uniforms gave the losing Expos a certain cachet. At least to me. Instantly recognizable -- rare for a team that never won.

Was always surprised Dawson wanted a Cubs hat for his HoF induction/plaque. I guess he really resented Montreal for the AstroTurf field that ruined his knees.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: November 12, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
That clip did not mention the managing genuises that somehow managed to pitch Gio in several of those deciding games.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me 999 times, f'you and all of your cattle.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #11: November 12, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
Will take a pass. I have enough depression in my life without reliving those failures.

This. Self-flagellation is really not my thing.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #12: November 12, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
But JCA - it was his turn !!!  Add to that the need for other pitchers in FUTURE games ...

That clip did not mention the managing genuises that somehow managed to pitch Gio in several of those deciding games.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me 999 times, f'you and all of your cattle.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #13: November 13, 2018, 12:30:17 AM »
This. Self-flagellation is really not my thing.

Jeez. Me too. You couldn't pay me to watch that crap.

Online Slateman

« Reply #14: November 13, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »

I mean, they mocked the hiring of Baker pretty extensively.

Also, I like how pitching your starter on really short rest is a franchise tradition

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: November 13, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Also, I like how pitching your starter on really short rest is a franchise tradition
Nathan Eovaldi, Rick Porcelle, Chris Sale, and David Price have rings they can share with Rogers, Jackson, and Scherzer.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: November 13, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
I had a dream last night Gio was back. Talk about a Legacy.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #17: November 14, 2018, 01:13:14 AM »
Have to say, those tri-colored hats and uniquely lettered/colored uniforms gave the losing Expos a certain cachet. At least to me. Instantly recognizable -- rare for a team that never won.

Was always surprised Dawson wanted a Cubs hat for his HoF induction/plaque. I guess he really resented Montreal for the AstroTurf field that ruined his knees.

IIRC, it was the thinness of it over concrete that completed the knee-shredding, as Vlad could also attest.

Offline Jay

« Reply #18: November 14, 2018, 06:26:10 PM »
I gave up after 3 minutes, not because of the depression, but due to the gratuitous "cute" profanity...Really, are we 8th graders?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #19: November 15, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »
With the Expos not being around, the Cubs hat was a natural choice.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #20: November 15, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
I actually got up to Montreal for five baseball weekends (that's how desperate I was for baseball in those pre-Nats days) - from 1994 (The World Champion That Wasn't) to 2000 after the star players had all left and the team played to thin crowds in an empty echoing stadium - almost an Expos history in miniature. And one could watch the decline quite clearly, with another food concession closing every season and by 2000 almost nothing left except a surprisingly good team store.

In the meantime, one could ease the pain with big cups of Labatt's Blue served at one's seat in directly-behind-the-plate seats which cost just Cdn$22 a go - best value for money in the history of MLB. After the game it was a straight shot (a half-dozen or so stations, i f I remember aright) on the Metro back to my hotel - can't beat that.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #21: November 16, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
Vidro too
IIRC, it was the thinness of it over concrete that completed the knee-shredding, as Vlad could also attest.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #22: November 16, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
I actually got up to Montreal for five baseball weekends (that's how desperate I was for baseball in those pre-Nats days) - from 1994 (The World Champion That Wasn't) to 2000 after the star players had all left and the team played to thin crowds in an empty echoing stadium - almost an Expos history in miniature. And one could watch the decline quite clearly, with another food concession closing every season and by 2000 almost nothing left except a surprisingly good team store.

In the meantime, one could ease the pain with big cups of Labatt's Blue served at one's seat in directly-behind-the-plate seats which cost just Cdn$22 a go - best value for money in the history of MLB. After the game it was a straight shot (a half-dozen or so stations, i f I remember aright) on the Metro back to my hotel - can't beat that.
Your "coversion" from your previous passion to baseball really must be an interesting story. I hope one day you will post it in its' condensed version.

Offline awbb

« Reply #23: November 20, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
Seeing Selig, and his history with Montreal and Washington, makes me appreciate what a dick he really is.    He screwed Montreal and then he left le grande crapaud running our TV Network.

I suspect you don't know what original "The Montreal Screwjob" was, mitlen? But it appears that was merely the precursor to something worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

Offline mitlen

« Reply #24: November 20, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »
I suspect you don't know what original "The Montreal Screwjob" was, mitlen? But it appears that was merely the precursor to something worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

That was after my time.    :old:    I'm more of a George "the animal" Steele and/or Jesse Ventura guy myself.    I followed WWF pretty closely in the 80s.    :)     

BTW    Bruno Sammartino is a W. PA guy.    :)