Author Topic: Gio to Nats . . . He gone!  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Bloo

Gio to Nats . . . He gone!
« Topic Start: August 31, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
This sums it up in a nuthsell.

Thanks for the memories Gio. I can't believe it's been almost 7 years since you first came here and now that it's over, it felt like a blink of an eye. So much has changed since then and now it kinda feels like the end of an era.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Re: Re: Gio to Nats
« Reply #1: August 31, 2018, 09:30:52 PM »
Prince Fielder is available again!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #2: September 02, 2018, 08:10:01 PM »
Thanks for the memories Gio. I can't believe it's been almost 7 years since you first came here and now that it's over, it felt like a blink of an eye. So much has changed since then and now it kinda feels like the end of an era.
Over 23 WAR on an affordable contract. Good trade.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: September 02, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »
:hysterical:

just like Orakpo was a good player for the Redskins

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: September 03, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »
Effective pitcher against dogcrap teams. Choker when pitching any game of consequence.

Good riddance.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #5: October 07, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
Evidence that the Nationals pitching staff over the past several years has been overrated --Gio has been a starter for all Nats post season series.  Nats lose each series.  Brewers win their first post season series with Gio on the roster -- Gio didn't see any action.  There's a reason he didn't see any action.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: October 07, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »
Evidence that the Nationals pitching staff over the past several years has been overrated --Gio has been a starter for all Nats post season series.  Nats lose each series.  Brewers win their first post season series with Gio on the roster -- Gio didn't see any action.  There's a reason he didn't see any action.
In 2012 he was one of the top pitchers in the league. And no Strasburg. He pitched game one and they won.

In 2014 I believe he started game three and they won that. Blame Strasburg for a crappy game one and lack of hitting other than Harper.

In 2016 Strasburg was also not available. The lack of hitting also had something to do with it all these years.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: October 07, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
they lost the game he pitched in 2014 (he pitched game 4)

you're intentionally ignoring that he pitched 3 games in which the Nationals were eliminated from the postseason

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: October 07, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »
they lost the game he pitched in 2014 (he pitched game 4)

you're intentionally ignoring that he pitched 3 games in which the Nationals were eliminated from the postseason
He's not the only reason they lost.  Just saying that comparing the 2016/17 version of him to earlier years is not reasonable.  I'm blaming the legend Dusty since he was dumb enough to start him again.   :hysterical:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: October 07, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
Gio has officially won his first playoff series.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #10: October 07, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Gio has officially won his first playoff series.

things go better when he doesn't pitch

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: October 09, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
He pitched game one and they won.

"pitched" is a bit strong. He started.  Lasted five innings, gave up two runs. Not good.  Bullpen bailed him out of that one. Then game 5, started and again  went 5 innings, this time three runs, bullpen didn't bail him out of that one; he was a big part of the reason we lost.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #12: October 09, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
"pitched" is a bit strong. He started.  Lasted five innings, gave up two runs. Not good.  Bullpen bailed him out of that one. Then game 5, started and again  went 5 innings, this time three runs, bullpen didn't bail him out of that one; he was a big part of the reason we lost.
Quality starts!

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #13: October 09, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »
Quality starts!
A quality start is completing 6 innings. Something Gio doesn't do with regularity.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #14: October 09, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
A quality start is completing 6 innings. Something Gio doesn't do with regularity.

Or ever, in the case of the playoffs.  In 6 starts over 4 years, he's never gone more than 5.0.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #15: October 09, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Could Gio have a future as a long-man and spot starter? His pitch counts dictate he is not a starter, in the classic sense. If the new baseball world redefines what a "starter" is, though, he could be pitching for a long time.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #16: October 09, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
Could Gio have a future as a long-man and spot starter? His pitch counts dictate he is not a starter, in the classic sense. If the new baseball world redefines what a "starter" is, though, he could be pitching for a long time.

I think you answered your own question, as the redefinition of "starter" seems mostly complete.  If the game is fine with guys who take 100 pitches over 2 hours to get thirteen outs (as they seem to be), then Gio has a future as a starter.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #17: October 09, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »
A quality start is completing 6 innings.

I took it that he was joking.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: October 09, 2018, 04:44:41 PM »
I took it that he was joking.
5/6 of a quality start!!

It cracks me up to read all this and think people really think Gio was the only reason the team ever lost.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #19: October 09, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
I think you answered your own question, as the redefinition of "starter" seems mostly complete.  If the game is fine with guys who take 100 pitches over 2 hours to get thirteen outs (as they seem to be), then Gio has a future as a starter.
Lefties seem to hang on. He might need to become a Loogy.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: October 09, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
The Gio trade was still one of Rizzo's best deals.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #21: October 09, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
5/6 of a quality start!!

It cracks me up to read all this and think people really think Gio was the only reason the team ever lost.

I highly doubt than anyone on here has said that Gio was the only reason the team lost.

But he was a big one.  Let's just cut to the chase of why I absolutely despite the little idiot: Game 5, 2012.  He's won 21 games, he's at home, he's spotted a 6-run lead after 3 innings.  And what does he do?  Immediately start giving it back by walking people, nibbling every batter, and generally acting like a scared little child.  F him.   The result of that was turning what should have been an easy series victory into a hot mess that got left to Edwin Jackson and Drew Storen - who like Gio, answered the bell with his own marvelous brand of playoff poise.   We could talk about last year's 3 ER in 3 innings with 4 walks Game 5 performance (also at home, of course), but that one pretty much speaks for itself. 

Lefties seem to hang on. He might need to become a Loogy.

Maybe.  Either way, he'll hang around.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: October 09, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
It must be nice to win fictional arguments by putting words in the mouths of your opponents.  I highly doubt than anyone on here has said that Gio was the only reason the team lost.

But he was a big one.  Let's just cut to the chase of why I absolutely despite the little idiot: Game 5, 2012.  He's won 21 games, he's at home, he's spotted a 6-run lead after 3 innings.  And what does he do?  Immediately start giving it back by walking people, nibbling every batter, and generally acting like a scared little child.  F him.   The result of that was turning what should have been an easy series victory into a hot mess that got left to Edwin Jackson and Drew Storen - who like Gio, answered the bell with his own marvelous brand of playoff poise.   We could talk about last year's 3 ER in 3 innings with 4 walks Game 5 performance (also at home, of course), but that one pretty much speaks for itself. 

Maybe.  Either way, he'll hang around.
Last year and the last few were a mess. But in 2012 he was a top pitcher. And they won the first game he pitched. And as you said the bullpen messed up also in game five.

Career ERA is 3.69. Not bad.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: October 09, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »
I highly doubt than anyone on here has said that Gio was the only reason the team lost.

No one has said anything close to that.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: October 09, 2018, 06:12:19 PM »

No one has said anything close to that.
You said things go better when he doesn’t pitch. So you implied it at least. Really depends who the replacement is. Looked it up. Zero earned runs in the game four start in 2014!! 

Gio tends to be the scapegoat for all the bad things. Good luck to him in the NLCS.