22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 126022 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Wouldn't you say the same for San Diego?  Yet Machado got that deal.  Says to me Harper's market value is less than Machado's.

No I wouldn't.  The Padres are not an iconic franchise like the Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers.

Offline tenken627

Hell if I know. Way too much math for me. And don't forget to calculate beer and hot dog sales when you're working the numbers. Get back to me when you're done. Thanks.

Those Brycer Harper hot dog likealikes are $$

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Heyman:

3m
Padres are pulling off one surprise (once Manny’s finalized) but here’s another shocker : they aren’t ruling out Bryce Harper, too. 110M payroll (with MM) is still lower than most.

Offline rbw5t

Hell if I know. Way too much math for me. And don't forget to calculate beer and hot dog sales when you're working the numbers. Get back to me when you're done. Thanks.

My very rough estimate...

In Philly, where they are improving, but not really there yet, and have a fan base that has been disinterested bc they've been bad lately, but where they used to sell out-- I bet signing Bryce bumps attendance by 1,000 fans per game.  It's just added excitement to have signed the biggest name in baseball (though not the best player).  If the average ticket price is $30, and that added fan spends $20 at the game on a hot dog and beer, then that's $50 extra dollars times 1000 extra fans times 81 games.  So, about $4M just at the ballpark.

I guess the question was really about Bryce versus Manny.  My guess is Bryce puts more butts in the seats than Manny would.  Say 500 for Manny versus Bryce's 1000.  So by my made-up numbers, that means Bryce is worth $2M more than Manny per year.  Although, I think that effect, while probably true to some extent in the first couple of years, fades as you get deeper into the contract.  After the first 2 years, attendance will really just depend on how well the team is doing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Ooh. He could do that, couldn't he. Garner fan favor and be The Face.

Maybe I'm thinking with my heart and not my head but maybe this means he will now go back to the Nats and see if they offer him something similar. He can always say he got bigger offers from other teams and but wanted to stay here instead. True or not, he comes out looking good to Nats fans.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Heyman:

Can you imagine how insufferable Machado and Harper would be together on the same field?

Offline Duke of Earl

I think now that Boras knows what he has to do to beat Machado, a Phillies deal will get done fast now.
But ultimately it's up to Harper, not Boras; if he really doesn't want to go to Philly it's his choice.  If he has any sense at all he'll realize that 10 years of happiness is worth more than "beating Machado".

Offline RiotAct

Can you imagine how insufferable Machado and Harper would be together on the same field?
they could do their little hand signals to each other all game

Offline Elvir Ovcina

That depends.  Would they play with their hair in the field, or only in the dugout and between innings?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
MAN DIEGO

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Ooh. He could do that, couldn't he. Garner fan favor and be The Face.

Yeah, I have not heard anyone mention that possibility. If he has to take less money than he wanted he might as well come back here and say he gave the Nats the home team discount. Instant God status in DC.

Offline Baseball is Life

Machado has a face you just want to slap.

Offline Duke of Earl

With Harper now "unsure" about going to Philadelphia, as the headlines are now proclaiming, doesn't that poison his relationship with the Phillies? Why would they sign him now, after that got out?

Offline UMDNats

nats just made a bunch of money on the new machado padres uniforms :stir:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

With Harper now "unsure" about going to Philadelphia, as the headlines are now proclaiming, doesn't that poison his relationship with the Phillies? Why would they sign him now, after that got out?

Philly fans are quick to turn nasty.  They have a lot of pride in their city.  If they think he only will go there for some sick overpay, they won't take kindly to that. 

Offline Baseball is Life

I hope you're right. His options are dwindling.

Offline Baseball is Life

Philly fans are quick to turn nasty.  They have a lot of pride in their city.  If they think he only will go there for some sick overpay, they won't take kindly to that. 

They are nasty to start so if they turn nasty would that make them super nasty? Help me out.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I hope you're right. His options are dwindling.

This all reads like a guy who wants to come back to Washington (or go some other specific non-Philadelphia place) but hasn't been offered enough money there to save face.

Offline Baseball is Life

This all reads like a guy who wants to come back to Washington (or go some other specific non-Philadelphia place) but hasn't been offered enough money there to save face.

The only other team dangling money is the White Sox and he doesn't want to go there either. Unless there's a mystery team in the mix, I'm betting he comes back here. No ways he chooses to go to Philadelphia.

Offline Mattionals

I am wondering if this is all a ploy to get the Giants to pony up. Wouldn't be a bad addition for them.

Offline dracnal

If San Diego is seriously still in the mix for him, that's my guess where he lands.

Offline Mattionals

If San Diego is seriously still in the mix for him, that's my guess where he lands.

I seriously doubt he wants to go to Philly. If San Diego or San Fran pay up to even 10/305, he is gone. I see him leaving money on the table, just like Tex did when he went to the Yankees.

Offline UMDNats

i call BS on that and also don't see Harper being cool with being the "second" signing for SD.

Offline Baseball is Life

i call BS on that and also don't see Harper being cool with being the "second" signing for SD.

Yeah, no way SD has that kind of money left. I think the Sox are the only ones who are still holding money bags. He clearly doesn't want to go to Philly or he would have signed by now. He might reconsider, I guess.

Offline dracnal

If it's a larger contract, why not? Biggest contract is still biggest contract. Now, if your argument is he won't want to be directly compared to the second largest sports contract in history because he plays on the same field every game, that's got merit.