22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 127935 times)

Online Mattionals

Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #525: December 06, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
Somebody fill me in here. Can the Nats afford to resign Harper and Rendon? I just don’t see how they could pull that off. If I’m picking between the two - it’s Rendon all day.

Honestly, I doubt anyone can even speculate anymore. We have seen team ownership spend big and also tout the line about not wanting to go over the tax threshold.

I get the feeling that ownership only splurges where Boras can make a good enough pitch. Werth was better than anything the 2011 Nats were going to put in the outfield, as the only pitch was Werth against Willingham. That didn't work out in year one, but worked out long term. Rafael Soriano looked like an upgrade over the entire pen after Game 5 in 2012. That one didn't work out so well. Scherzer was a clear cut Ace and that contract is working out. Wieters was an upgrade over anyone else on the roster at catcher, and even though he didn't work out, we all saw what we could have had.

The point I'm getting at is that ownership spends when the pitch works. They could spend on Harper, but Soto lessens that blow considerably. I also think that if they want Rendon and Harper, they would do it and pay whatever penalties.