22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 126899 times)

Offline hotshot

Any team that signs Bryce to 8+ years is going to regret it.

A) He is bad defensively.
B) His swing mechanics are brute force. As he gets older, injuries are going to pile up.
C) He is a diva, so any slight pain (e.g., sore shoulder) he will sit out and collect his paycheck.

Good luck to the Phillies, Dodgers or whoever takes the plunge.

Thing is, teams like the NYY and Dodgers can afford to pay a player $300M+ and easily not have that contract hurt them badly even if the player fails to live up to expectations.

Offline aBaltoNat

Did I see what you did there?     :)

I'm not sure? I have two degrees. One is from a high profile state University and the other from the one I grew up rooting for since I was a toddler - and it's the one I get paid for now.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'm not sure? I have two degrees. One is from a high profile state University and the other from the one I grew up rooting for since I was a toddler - and it's the one I get paid for now.

I thought you were "throwing down the gauntlet"/challenging/comparing the Mountaineers v the Wolverines; the block M v the WVU; the maize and blue v gold and blue, etc.    That you would proudly display WVU's emblem as your avatar to juxtapose the "M".    :)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Any team that signs Bryce to 8+ years is going to regret it.

A) He is bad defensively.
B) His swing mechanics are brute force. As he gets older, injuries are going to pile up.
C) He is a diva, so any slight pain (e.g., sore shoulder) he will sit out and collect his paycheck.

Good luck to the Phillies, Dodgers or whoever takes the plunge.

You dont hit .320 with a swing that is "brute force"

Just hope he doesn't correct his approach now that he has a massive contract and becomes a perrenial MVP candidate because he's controlling his swing.

I keep telling people this. If Bryce comes into a season wanting to win a batting title, he will be the MVP.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I keep telling people this. If Bryce comes into a season wanting to win a batting title, he will be the MVP.

Well then why hasn’t he done it?

Offline Slateman

Well then why hasn’t he done it?

He did. Twice. 2015 and 2017 (before injury).

Better question is why doesnt he have that mindset all the time? Why did he come in to 2018 trying to hit 50 homers instead of winning a batting title?

Offline Slateman

What happened to Tuesday's deadline for the Phillies?

Offline Slateman

What we really need is for the Yankees to sneak in and grab Keuchel, have the Doyers land Harper, and leave Kimbrel to the Phillies

Offline nfotiu

He did. Twice. 2015 and 2017 (before injury).

Better question is why doesnt he have that mindset all the time? Why did he come in to 2018 trying to hit 50 homers instead of winning a batting title?
He had 37 walks vs 21 Ks in April.  That doesn't sound like a guy starting the season chasing home runs.   

Offline Mattionals

What we really need is for the Yankees to sneak in and grab Keuchel, have the Doyers land Harper, and leave Kimbrel to the Phillies

Or none of them sign with the Phillies. It would make their offseason look questionable. Signed McCutchen, traded good prospects/young talent for Realmuto and Segura. Signed Robertson. That definitely makes the Phillies better than last season, but with no more impact prospects coming, it looks like a team that has pushed their chips in with a wild card team.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Trea Burner

The brute force comment isn’t to downplay Bryce’s hitting ability, it’s more to say that he is going to get injured a lot as he gets older because of that swing.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

The brute force comment isn’t to downplay Bryce’s hitting ability, it’s more to say that he is going to get injured a lot as he gets older because of that swing.

Slate's point isn't to counter you downplaying it.  It's to say it wasn't brute force alone.  If he perenially was a Joey Gallo, Chris Davis, Adam Dunn...then yea that makes some sense.  He's competed for batting titles.  That doesn't happen if you are all brute force. 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

SF Giants and Harper discussed a 10 year deal.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/27/bryce-harper-giants-meet-again-discuss-10-year-dea/

There are many that have been waiting to point and laugh at Harper/Boras and in the end it looks very likely he's going to end up with the length of contract he wants and for the highest amount in sports history.  Also, he appears to have multiple options to play on the West Coast like he apparently prefers.  Maybe Boras didn't drop the ball afterall.

Offline Slateman

Hes already made multiple adjustments to his swing. It's really not that complicated

Offline Senatorswin

It would be some sweet action if he signs with the Giants. Even with Harper they're not going to win anything for a few years so we won't have to a Harper team beating us out for the playoffs.

Offline NJ Ave

There are many that have been waiting to point and laugh at Harper/Boras and in the end it looks very likely he's going to end up with the length of contract he wants and for the highest amount in sports history.  Also, he appears to have multiple options to play on the West Coast like he apparently prefers.  Maybe Boras didn't drop the ball afterall.

Maybe. I don't think it's necessarily a "win" if he ends up within 5-10% of an offer he could have had in October, after a drawn out process that awkwardly ends with him walking into an already-in-progress spring training as the new BMOC.

I actually think San Francisco is a worse landing spot for him than LA or Philadelphia, by far. He'd be walking into a situation with 4(!) veteran hitters - Posey, Belt, Crawford, Panik - who were on a World Series champion. I'm sure that would low-profile Bryce wouldn't cause friction there, at all :) :)

Offline NJ Ave

Hes already made multiple adjustments to his swing. It's really not that complicated

Yeah, the baseball swing is famously simple.

Offline RiotAct

Maybe. I don't think it's necessarily a "win" if he ends up within 5-10% of an offer he could have had in October, after a drawn out process that awkwardly ends with him walking into an already-in-progress spring training as the new BMOC.

I actually think San Francisco is a worse landing spot for him than LA or Philadelphia, by far. He'd be walking into a situation with 4(!) veteran hitters - Posey, Belt, Crawford, Panik - who were on a World Series champion. I'm sure that would low-profile Bryce wouldn't cause friction there, at all :) :)
plus, didn’t he punch a few of those guys during that game a couple years ago that was on ESPN?

Online Natsinpwc

If the Phillies were smart they would just pull their offer. Let the Dodgers and Giants bid for him. Sign Keuchel. Better to overpay for a few years rather than ten. They need another starter.

Offline Trea Burner

We will see what happens.

My money is on him being injured frequently over a 10 year contract.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
If the Phillies were smart they would just pull their offer. Let the Dodgers and Giants bid for him. Sign Keuchel. Better to overpay for a few years rather than ten. They need another starter.

We don’t know if they already have.

Offline Nick the Pig

I will enjoy booing him multiple times per year. I hope all the fans who idolized him realize now that he obviously hated DC the whole time he was here.

Oh damn.  Are we now blood brothers, or anything like that ? :D

Online Natsinpwc

We don’t know if they already have.
Only what we read and most of that is probably wrong.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Thinking back to the night of the HR derby, it’s amazing to me that this guy has completely squandered that much goodwill in just a little over 6 months.