22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 122828 times)

Offline UMDNats

The salary cap works in the NFL.  The Patriots are a bit fluky in their success (I mean, it helps for salary cap purposes that their best player is barely in the top half of starter salaries for his position because HE'S MARRIED TO A SUPERMODEL WHO CAN AFFORD TO HAVE HIM NOT EARNING MAX), but otherwise there's pretty good turnover among playoff teams.  Seattle I think is the only NFC team to make it to the SB twice this decade.

haven't the pats or steelers been in the AFC championship game like every year for 10 years

the nba is basically 3-4 teams at most and the rest is just drama noise, the nfl is pats-dominated and NFC teams rotating their chances based on whose turn it is. that said the nfl will change once brady/bill retire but the nba looks like a strong 2-5 teams only for a while based on how teams are run. i mean the wizards aren't even attempting to win, they know they can just roll in the revenue sharing

Offline UMDNats

Second greatest.  I'll take George Allen and Billy Kilmer.

:lmao:

Online Five Banners

Well we found out from the Caps that he unfollowed all of them on Twitter so that means the Nats are out right?

That's as solid an indicator as I've seen. Boras (after having one last convo with Ted over the weekend): "Great news, Bryce! Philly and SF want to give you great deals, and you'll be able to change the scenery in just a few years if you want!" Bryce heads over to Twitter and takes care of business.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Except Holtby.

Front runner. :smh:

Well we found out from the Caps that he unfollowed all of them on Twitter so that means the Nats are out right?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

When do the Hiroshima Toyo Carp get added to the poll?

Offline UMDNats

I wouldn't be surprised if the clubhouse has a totally different vibe this year with Bryce gone. There was enough talk that he was wearing on the rest of the team, and he was clearly never even trying to be a leader/captain material. With the clear leaders being Max, Sean & Ryan, I could see a pretty cohesive team.

There's no doubt that Harper dragged the team down in the first half of last year, not just his play but his general crappy attitude. This doesn't mean I wanted him to leave, but it's no secret he's a bigger personality than most and not all teams are good fits for that.

Offline HalfSmokes

the patriots have the greatest coach and greatest QB of all time.  that doesn't happen very often and saying "well look at NE" as an argument against a cap is silly.

Saying the NFL has parity is equally silly- for most of its history it has bounced from one dynasty to the next

Offline UMDNats

http://www.knbr.com/2019/02/11/bob-nightengale-predicts-what-giants-will-offer-bryce-harper-on-680/

Nightengale says the Nats and Dodgers are out on Harper.

Confirmed: Harper to be the first player ever to play for two teams at the same time.

seems like a good time to bring up that Bob is more fan than reporter - he has a signed Schilling jersey hanging in his office

Online Five Banners

I wouldn't be surprised if the clubhouse has a totally different vibe this year with Bryce gone. There was enough talk that he was wearing on the rest of the team, and he was clearly never even trying to be a leader/captain material. With the clear leaders being Max, Sean & Ryan, I could see a pretty cohesive team.

There's no doubt that Harper dragged the team down in the first half of last year, not just his play but his general crappy attitude. This doesn't mean I wanted him to leave, but it's no secret he's a bigger personality than most and not all teams are good fits for that.

Davey's still there, so expectations are adjusted accordingly. Maybe Corbin or one of the other new hires will be a net positive on the attitude side.

Offline UMDNats

Davey's still there, so expectations are adjusted accordingly. Maybe Corbin or one of the other new hires will be a net positive on the attitude side.

Well, I think Davey has to adjust his overall strategy this year but I think his upbeat/positive mentality (cheerleading, if you will) plays more when there isn't a giant ego overshadowing the team. It's easier for everyone to feel like they're all pulling on the same rope when one guy isn't clearly looking at his impending FA. I'm not willing to write him off just yet but the leash is short this year. We can't keep wasting the talent on the roster.

Offline Natsinpwc

Except Holtby.

Front runner. :smh:
He likes his music.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

There's no doubt that Harper dragged the team down in the first half of last year, not just his play but his general crappy attitude.

yes, Harper made all his teammates play like garbage last year :smh:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

If you read Chelsea Janes’ stuff last year, it was definitely insinuated that Harper’s special status wore on clubhouse chemistry. She had a couple of articles where folks got tired of management bending over backwards for him in hopes that he would re-sign with him. So I can imagine that him leaving could improve things on that front.

Offline UMDNats

When did I say that? He sucked ass for the first half and was a huge reason for our bad first half and there was more than enough smoke about Harper being a clubhouse issue, that's all I am saying.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Well he didn't make them play better, that's for sure . . .

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
When did I say that? He sucked ass for the first half and was a huge reason for our bad first half and there was more than enough smoke about Harper being a clubhouse issue, that's all I am saying.

God forbid anyone say anything untowards about Bryce Harper...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Washington times says Harper won't take a short term deal:

https://t.co/36LjbYeG1u

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
This is going to be interesting.

Washington times says Harper won't take a short term deal:

https://t.co/36LjbYeG1u

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

“he dragged the team down with his play and attitude” what else would that mean other than is teammates play was affected by his “attitude”?

Offline nfotiu

God forbid anyone say anything untowards about Bryce Harper...
lol, everyone on this board says untowards things about Bryce Harper several times a day.   There are those of us who think that a lot of the negatives about him are way overblown.  He has his faults, but I think in particular things about him being lazy, bad teammate, a choker are mostly without basis.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
lol, everyone on this board says untowards things about Bryce Harper several times a day.   There are those of us who think that a lot of the negatives about him are way overblown.  He has his faults, but I think in particular things about him being lazy, bad teammate, a choker are mostly without basis.

I'm referring to one poster who jumps on anything that could even be remotely construed as anti-Bryce.

Offline UMDNats

“he dragged the team down with his play and attitude” what else would that mean other than is teammates play was affected by his “attitude”?

His net-negative play and complete lack of leadership was a part of the team's struggle for 3 months...

They had injuries and were shorthanded but if Harper was even 20% better for the first 3 months we may have made the postseason.

Offline UMDNats

To be clear I am not saying I think he is lazy or a bad teammate or a choker. I think he struggled in the first half of last year and I think there is some merit to the idea that the clubhouse was tired of him and his larger than life persona.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I think there is some merit to the idea that the clubhouse was tired of him and his larger than life persona.

I never understood comments from fans about locker room and player chemistry. Where does this come from?

Offline UMDNats

I never understood comments from fans about locker room and player chemistry. Where does this come from?

Some of us have worked in the game and know people in baseball circles...

But of course, we are all outside the clubhouse and have no idea truly what it is all like. I'm not claiming to know everything. Just trying to look at this from all sides.