22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 122830 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Owners would want a cap. And honestly, for the purposes of competitive balance, baseball would probably have to have one

Players would demand a floor, teams in markets that can’t support them would fight that tooth and nail

Offline NJ Ave

Harper is 26. By the time his first 5 years are up, he will be 31. There have been over 100 players who have posted at least 3.5 WAR from ages 31 to 33  in the last ten seasons.

With modern workout and diet regimes,  it a naive to think someone like Harper cant be good after the age of 31. Beltre, Votto, ARod, Matt Holliday, Cano, Utley, Kinsler, and Bautisa all put together quality seasons at ages 32-35. You should expect Harper to do the same, which means you're going to get 7-8 years of good-to-great plate performance from him.

I’ve already addressed this in earlier posts. The aging curve from 26-30 is not good. The one from 31-35 is worse. It’s expecting Bruce to defy both. It’s very unlikely.

To sum up, you are wrong, which probably goes without saying.

Offline NJ Ave

The reason there are guys who are good later in their careers is that some players peak late. There are very very few players who peak early and are still good 15 years later. Almost none who didn’t take PEDs. Most of the guys in the 1960s/70s took greenies, and most of the 1990s/2000s guys were on steroids. I guess maybe Bryce can get a fake adderall description.

Offline NJ Ave

Also, if there were teams who believed they’d get 7-8 good to great years from Bryce, he’d already be signed for 10 years.

Offline Senatorswin

I heard Jim Duquette on the radio today talking about Harper. Duquette used to be a general manager of the Mets. He probably knows most or all of the GMs in baseball today. Obviously he's knows more about what's going on inside baseball than I do. We couldn't be further apart on what we think is going to happen with Harper. Apparently he thinks the 300 million for 10 years offer by the Nats is still on the table. He said if a team offered Harper 320 to 330 million he thinks because of the relationship Harper and Boras have with the Nats that the Nats would match it. He said he thinks Harper will be back with the Nats. I think there's no way Harper is back with the Nats. Definitely not for 300 million or more. I think the Nats will need to pay too many other players, especially pitchers. We'll see.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
And honestly, for the purposes of competitive balance, baseball would probably have to have one

Ugh....  please God no salary cap.  It’s literally the one thing that makes baseball interesting...

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I heard Jim Duquette on the radio today talking about Harper. Duquette used to be a general manager of the Mets. He probably knows most or all of the GMs in baseball today. Obviously he's knows more about what's going on inside baseball than I do. We couldn't be further apart on what we think is going to happen with Harper. Apparently he thinks the 300 million for 10 years offer by the Nats is still on the table. He said if a team offered Harper 320 to 330 million he thinks because of the relationship Harper and Boras have with the Nats that the Nats would match it. He said he thinks Harper will be back with the Nats. I think there's no way Harper is back with the Nats. Definitely not for 300 million or more. I think the Nats will need to pay too many other players, especially pitchers. We'll see.
I agree that $300mm is still on the table.  If another team was going to offer $330mm, they would've already done it.  That's why I changed my vote from Phillies to Nationals.  Boras is just going through the motions now.  Phillies WILL end up with either Machado or Harper.  I have a feeling they will settle on Machado and then Harper will accept the original offer soon after.    The NL East might be the best division now, top to bottom.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Ugh....  please God no salary cap.  It’s literally the one thing that makes baseball interesting...

Yeah. I like the idea of parity in the NFL, but also don’t think you should need a degree in accounting to figure out how trades work.
And it’s just awful in the NBA where an expiring contract is more valuable than a live player and for all the complication, the same teams make it to the finals every year.

I say do it like the European soccer leagues. People seem to like those and find them exciting enough.

Offline hotshot

Tell that to the AL East also-rans.

Offline Five Banners

Glad to.

Tampa, stop dealing off players long enough for a solid run.

Toronto, good run a couple years back. Shows it can be done.

Baltimore, stop focusing on the DC area market and pay attention to your own.

Offline HalfSmokes

Poor Yankees just don’t have the resources

Offline Trea Burner

Glad to.

Tampa, stop dealing off players long enough for a solid run.

Toronto, good run a couple years back. Shows it can be done.

Baltimore, stop focusing on the DC area market and pay attention to your own.

Have to disagree here. Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs guaranteed playoffs almost every season because they can stash mistakes on the bench and dwarf everyone else with resources.

For mid markets and small markets, they have to suck for 5 years to make the playoffs and then lose the players anyway.

Baseball needs a salary cap to be honest. All the other professional sports leagues do.

MLB is like European soccer. Only 4 teams have a realistic shot. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, Man City. Has anyone outside of Real Madrid or Barcelona even won the Spanish league in the past 20 years?

I’m surprised the lesser team futbol supporters spend the money to go see constant beat downs.

Offline HalfSmokes

MLB is like European soccer. Only 4 teams have a realistic shot. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, Man City. Has anyone outside of Real Madrid or Barcelona even won the Spanish league in the past 20 years?

Last five years: Red Sox, Astros, Cubs, Royals, Giants - totally seems like small markets have no chance. Maybe more a cap  like football (just ignore the constant dynasties) or the NBA (where it’s totally not possible to know who will be in the finals before the season starts) are what baseball needs

Offline Count Walewski

This is totally not true. The Kansas City Royals went to the World Series twice in this decade. The 2000's saw the Diamondbacks, Angels, and Marlins win the World Series in consecutive years. The Rockies and the Devil Rays played in the World Series that year.

Yeah, the Yankees and the Red Sox usually make the playoffs, but MLB has far more parity than top European soccer leagues. This is a totally off-base comparison.

Offline Trea Burner

This is totally not true. The Kansas City Royals went to the World Series twice in this decade. The 2000's saw the Diamondbacks, Angels, and Marlins win the World Series in consecutive years. The Rockies and the Devil Rays played in the World Series that year.

Yeah, the Yankees and the Red Sox usually make the playoffs, but MLB has far more parity than top European soccer leagues. This is a totally off-base comparison.

Royals had to suck for years and have the perfect storm of all their young kids clicking at the right time. The diamondbacks had Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson.

Leicester City is like the one year wonder 2003 Marlins. The Angels, Moreno spends.

It might not be quite as bad as European Soccer but the point is the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs and to a lesser extent Giants and Cardinals get a free pass into the playoffs and that is the definition competitive advantage, or disadvantage for the other teams.

The Brewers, A’s, Royals, etc. have to suck for years just to make the playoffs and then hope to catch fire.

Offline Trea Burner

Last five years: Red Sox, Astros, Cubs, Royals, Giants - totally seems like small markets have no chance. Maybe more a cap  like football (just ignore the constant dynasties) or the NBA (where it’s totally not possible to know who will be in the finals before the season starts) are what baseball needs

In football, anyone can win. Have to just credit the cheating patriots for their system. They never really have the best players.

Basketball is different because if you have 2 of the top 10 players, you dominate. Basketball is just different. Golden State has 2 of the top 5 players and 3 other all stars so they broke the league.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Still nothing?  Sigh...

Offline Truconfidence

Still nothing?  Sigh...
Well we found out from the Caps that he unfollowed all of them on Twitter so that means the Nats are out right?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
http://www.knbr.com/2019/02/11/bob-nightengale-predicts-what-giants-will-offer-bryce-harper-on-680/

Nightengale says the Nats and Dodgers are out on Harper.

Confirmed: Harper to be the first player ever to play for two teams at the same time.

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
http://www.knbr.com/2019/02/11/bob-nightengale-predicts-what-giants-will-offer-bryce-harper-on-680/

Nightengale says the Nats and Dodgers are out on Harper.

Confirmed: Harper to be the first player ever to play for two teams at the same time.

Wasn't Nightengale the hack who said Harper to Philly was basically done like a month ago? 

Offline rileyn

If he is coming back, the question is, do the Nats know this?  And assuming we do, do we have a trade for Eaton lined up?  There is a domino effect that his majesty his bottle necking.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Thanks.    I was wondering where the votes were.   
mostly in grave yards in Illinois.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The salary cap works in the NFL.  The Patriots are a bit fluky in their success (I mean, it helps for salary cap purposes that their best player is barely in the top half of starter salaries for his position because HE'S MARRIED TO A SUPERMODEL WHO CAN AFFORD TO HAVE HIM NOT EARNING MAX), but otherwise there's pretty good turnover among playoff teams.  Seattle I think is the only NFC team to make it to the SB twice this decade.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The salary cap works in the NFL.  The Patriots are a bit fluky in their success (I mean, it helps for salary cap purposes that their best player is barely in the top half of starter salaries for his position because HE'S MARRIED TO A SUPERMODEL WHO CAN AFFORD TO HAVE HIM NOT EARNING MAX), but otherwise there's pretty good turnover among playoff teams.  Seattle I think is the only NFC team to make it to the SB twice this decade.

the patriots have the greatest coach and greatest QB of all time.  that doesn't happen very often and saying "well look at NE" as an argument against a cap is silly.

Offline Duke of Earl

the patriots have the greatest coach and greatest QB of all time. 
Second greatest.  I'll take George Allen and Billy Kilmer.