22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 122871 times)

Offline UMDNats

Mlb.com’s own store has no problem associating him with the Nationals

https://www.mlbshop.com/?query=Harper

get it while you still can

Offline dracnal

That is one fugly gnome.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Quasimodo posture

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Well he's a free agent so he cannot be on promo material for a team he's not under contract with. As soon as free agency started he had to be removed from all marketing and website material, etc.

He was on it up until a few days ago...

Offline RiotAct

That is one fugly gnome.
Looks more like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, than Bryce

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Does Phillies move for Realmuto make them more or less likely to after Harper?

With the price they paid, my guess is they have given up Harper but don't want to end the offseason empty handed.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
More likely. He's a bargain salary-wise, they'll look like a win now team to Harper.

Phillies with Harp would be even more scary now. Hope the Nats or a West Coast team gets him.

Offline nfotiu

Does Phillies move for Realmuto make them more or less likely to after Harper?

With the price they paid, my guess is they have given up Harper but don't want to end the offseason empty handed.
The articles said it was a move to make them more attractive to Harper or Machado.  With all the lobbying Bryce did to try to get Realmuto last year, it seems possible it was targeted towards him.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
The articles said it was a move to make them more attractive to Harper or Machado.  With all the lobbying Bryce did to try to get Realmuto last year, it seems possible it was targeted towards him.

ugh, this is gonna suck.

Offline UMDNats

Bryce is signing with a team for reasons way above individual players. Writers love to make trades seem like huge deals and catalysts for other signings but in reality Realmuto is a footnote. He's just as likely to sign there today as he was yesterday, because what ultimately matters is the dollars and, after that, the commitment from ownership that they are going to compete (which they've done all offseason), especially with him as the face of it.

Offline nfotiu

Bryce is signing with a team for reasons way above individual players. Writers love to make trades seem like huge deals and catalysts for other signings but in reality Realmuto is a footnote. He's just as likely to sign there today as he was yesterday, because what ultimately matters is the dollars and, after that, the commitment from ownership that they are going to compete (which they've done all offseason), especially with him as the face of it.
I don't know.  It's not hard to imagine Harper saying to them show me your going to make some moves to make this team a contender, then we'll talk.

Offline Natsinpwc

https://amp.mlb.com/287870560-bryce-harper-vents-after-extra-innings-loss.amp.html

Players want to play for teams that will be in the mix. I think you are contradicting yourself. Realmuto gives the Phillies a better chance to compete. It’s shows their commitment to him. If the Yankees or Dodgers wanted him he would sign there in a minute.

Offline Natsinpwc

I don't know.  It's not hard to imagine Harper saying to them show me your going to make some moves to make this team a contender, then we'll talk.
Yea. It’s not coincidence they got back in the Realmuto sweepstakes.

Offline UMDNats

Realmuto is just one player. They've made a number of other moves already that signal they want to win ASAP. They still were all-in even if they didn't acquire Realmuto. I was replying to the idea that Realmuto greatly affects things when he's just one piece of the puzzle that is already well underway. This is a $300 million decision, one player won't swing anything substantial. A team offering Bryce a huge deal is by default saying they're serious about winning, though a team like the White Sox is more of a "we need you to compete" so it's a little less appealing.

Every team interested in him (and no the padres are not a contender) is already all-in. That's a constant between DC, Philly and, before a couple weeks ago, LA. This obviously makes the Phillies better but Bryce is committing to 10 years not 2 or 3 and windows close or open based on management's big picture. The Nats have been a contender every year of Bryce's career because Rizzo has kept the roster strong even if they've freaked up some seasons.

Bryce's questions are things like, "what's your 5-year plan?" and Realmuto makes the roster strong but again I don't buy that Bryce - Mr. Ego - is swayed strongly by one move. I'm sure he likes it but it won't change ultimately signing here or Philly.

Offline Natsinpwc

Realmuto is just one player. They've made a number of other moves already that signal they want to win ASAP. They still were all-in even if they didn't acquire Realmuto. I was replying to the idea that Realmuto greatly affects things when he's just one piece of the puzzle that is already well underway. This is a $300 million decision, one player won't swing anything substantial.
He’s a top MLB player. McCutcheon and Segura are good also but not at his level. They didn’t up the Phillies projected wins much. Realmuto will.

Offline UMDNats

He’s a top MLB player. McCutcheon and Segura are good also but not at his level. They didn’t up the Phillies projected wins much. Realmuto will.

Segura and Realmuto just had the same bWAR and McCutchen just had a 2.8 WAR season. Two 3 WAR players is a pretty strong, "we're trying to win" signal. Not to mention David Robertson, another good pickup.

Offline Natsinpwc

Segura and Realmuto just had the same bWAR and McCutchen just had a 2.8 WAR season. Two 3 WAR players is a pretty strong, "we're trying to win" signal. Not to mention David Robertson, another good pickup.
Robertson was a good pick up also.

From what I have seen though they are projected as a .500 team before this trade.

Offline nfotiu

The last thing Bryce would want to do is go to the Phillies and finish below the Nats in the NL East.   I could see him looking at that team and saying you are close, but I need a little more.

Offline UMDNats

Robertson was a good pick up also.

From what I have seen though they are projected as a .500 team before this trade.

Alfaro had 2.5 WAR last year and Realmuto was at 4.8 or so. So, definite upgrade, but if they were .500 before, 2 more wins won't exactly put them over the top. There's reasons to doubt Alfaro's ability to have a strong 2019 but it's not like they were going from replacement-level (like us!) to 5 WAR. Also you can easily argue that we have a strong roster this year - our lineup is deeper and we have a great 1-2-3 and much better back-end depth. A lot of the Phillies moves reek desperation and trying to make a splash for the sake of making a splash because their prospects haven't become world-beaters for the most part.

Offline Natsinpwc

Alfaro had 2.5 WAR last year and Realmuto was at 4.8 or so. So, definite upgrade, but if they were .500 before, 2 more wins won't exactly put them over the top. There's reasons to doubt Alfaro's ability to have a strong 2019 but it's not like they were going from replacement-level (like us!) to 5 WAR. Also you can easily argue that we have a strong roster this year - our lineup is deeper and we have a great 1-2-3 and much better back-end depth. A lot of the Phillies moves reek desperation and trying to make a splash for the sake of making a splash because their prospects haven't become world-beaters for the most part.
Desperate to compete; puts them ahead of about half the teams which have no interest in competing.  I mean if flipping Crawford and Santana for Segura and a couple of pitchers is desperate then more desperation needed. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
If Bryce Harper signs a 10 year contract because the Phillies have 2 years control of a good catcher then he is an idiot.

Offline nfotiu

Probably ex manager within the week
Philly baseball managers are held to a higher standard than Virginia politicians?

Offline HalfSmokes

Philly baseball managers are held to a higher standard than Virginia politicians?

If any of the story is true, he’s a piece of crap who will rightfully be unemployable in any public facing business