22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 122851 times)

Offline nfotiu

That tweet to me means he has an offer that will not be a complete embarrassment to him.  I think he is just trying to build up more hype for his decision.  This also leads me to believe it will not be a return to Washington.

Rhys Hoskins also posted Loading.... in December, and is also represented by Boras, and he also re-tweeted Harper's Loading...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/are-hoskins-and-harper-trying-tell-us-something

Offline NationalHeat

He may very well sign there, but these philly people are gonna drive themselves nuts trying to decipher clues that aren’t really there

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
He may very well sign there, but these philly people are gonna drive themselves nuts trying to decipher clues that aren’t really there

same for people here.

Offline NationalHeat

Is anyone *really* doing that here though? They legit fell for a fake reporter from a fake philly tv station.

Offline Natsinpwc

https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1092503124126912512?s=12

Smell the desperation.
I see from a tweet there that the BLOS are in also. At least we can keep him in the MASN family.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I can't imagine the offer was written in a way you were technically obligated.   Although, it seems like the only reason to not take the offer would be for petty reasons, and I'm guessing you took it?

I wanted to tell them to pound sand. My wife wanted the house. But I was super annoyed with the sellers. Our eventual solution was to re-offer with a decrease in price to reflect the new situation. We also told them it was take it or leave it with a 24 hour deadline so they couldn’t shop it round or use the back and forth to find another offer. They ended up taking and it worked out great. We got into the house and paid less. And they decided the house wasn’t worth quite what they thought. The reason the other sale fell through was because something fell through with financing and the other buyers got scared.

So the one moral is, I should listen to my wife more, as she kept me from doing something dumb because of pride.

The other reason that I bring up this story if it isn’t obvious is that just because I made an offer doesn’t mean it is always on the table, once it hits the market all sorts of things can change the value and when you come back the reality of the situation has changed. I think that may have been what happened with Bryce.

Or, maybe he should listen to his wife.  :hysterical:

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961

Smell the desperation.

Nobody cares if 8, 16, or all 30 teams are checking in. 

If he stays here, a 10-year deal makes sense.  We will embrace him out of necessity.

The truth about the current negotiations will likely be leaked after the deal is done.  If he goes somewhere else on a marginally better offer than what the Lerners are offering, then he'll hear boos louder than he can imagine whenever he steps foot in Nats Park.  And it won't be pleasant to go anywhere in public within a 30-mile radius of Nats Park.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Yeah. Because they already did. They already offered 10/300.

Why would they suddenly be worried about the 10 years?

And then they claimed the offer was off the table, and wished him luck.  I'm not assuming they sign him if he wants that original offer.

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I'd be thrilled to have him back at a reasonable contract but if he goes oh well. This offseason proves his value is out of whack even if he is an elite offensive player.

Offline blue911

I'd be thrilled to have him back at a reasonable contract but if he goes oh well. This offseason proves his value is out of whack even if he is an elite offensive player.

The problem is in 5 years he'll be another Michael Morse on defense. He gets poor jumps as it is, age isn't going help him. As it stands now, he's nearing the apex of his defensive abilities while playing a non-critical position.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Blue - hasn't there been some discussion about working Harper into a 1st base role ?

The problem is in 5 years he'll be another Michael Morse on defense. He gets poor jumps as it is, age isn't going help him. As it stands now, he's nearing the apex of his defensive abilities while playing a non-critical position.

Offline blue911

Blue - hasn't there been some discussion about working Harper into a 1st base role ?

Would that make my statement any less true?

Offline nfotiu

Michael Morse was the slowest guy I've ever seen play for the Nats.   Harper has above average speed both as a base runner and an outfielder.  This article makes a pretty good case that Harper is likely to return to being an above average right fielder and that last year was probably more a fluke of the small sample sizes of defensive stats.   https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/bryce-harper-defense-uzr-drs-mlb-free-agency-2018

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Michael Morse was the slowest guy I've ever seen play for the Nats.   Harper has above average speed both as a base runner and an outfielder.  This article makes a pretty good case that Harper is likely to return to being an above average right fielder and that last year was probably more a fluke of the small sample sizes of defensive stats.   https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/11/bryce-harper-defense-uzr-drs-mlb-free-agency-2018

With his skill set, he should have been much better in the field than he was in 2018.  We've seen him much better.  I don't think that it was a fluke...I think he was doggin' it to avoid injury in his contract year.

Offline rileyn

I say Morse could outrun Ramos and Weiters.  Maybe Murphy too.

Offline nfotiu

I say Morse could outrun Ramos and Weiters.  Maybe Murphy too.
Yeah, Ramos got pretty comically slow by the end of his time here.  But I'm betting on the other two in a race against Morse.  More than once I remember being shocked that Morse was thrown out at first by 10 feet on plays I thought he'd make it.

Offline Natsinpwc

I can’t see why Harper would fall off the face of the earth defensiveky at age 30. People are just grasping at reasons to justify not signing him at this point. He could also move to LF as well as 1B. Just say his offense is not worth 30 million per year and leave it at that.

Offline NationalHeat

Can't you say with some certainty that he took it easy in the field this year due to his impending FA?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Can't you say with some certainty that he took it easy in the field this year due to his impending FA?

Well no, because unlike Manny Machado he doesn't come right out and say he couldn't give a crap about an important aspect of the game.

Offline RiotAct

just sign somewhere already, you nag.

Offline UMDNats

Smell the desperation.

Boras shill Heyman getting his info directly from the agent :lmao:

Offline Natsinpwc

Boras shill Heyman getting his info directly from the agent :lmao:
Have to squeeze every last dollar.

Offline Senatorswin

It seems like at 10 years a lot of teams were not even interested in talking but now that it appears he can't get the 10 years more teams are interested in talking. I doubt he signs for 1 year like Bowden is talking about but as has been mentioned here I wouldn't be surprised to see something like 5, 6 or 7 years with an opt out after 3 at around 35 million a year.