22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 122866 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Lets be real for a second

1) the Nats want Harper. They didn’t offer him a 10 year deal for craps and giggles. Commitment to a 10 year deal means they want him

B) Boras leaked the offer to act as a baseline.

C) The reason we haven’t heard about other offers is because the Nationals haven’t been out bid in one of the key areas. Either annual salary, number of years, and/or total value.

D) Boras would have leaked the other offers if they were better to run up the total.

90% that’s all correct

You are making a buttload of assumptions but I will address just one. There was no "commitment" to keep a 10 year deal on the table. It was an offer that was probably only good for a few days.

Yes, they want him but negotiations ebb and flow. The Nats budget has changed and so has the market (I guess). They would not be out of line to adjust their offer up or down.

Offline UMDNats

I could see something happening this week. This is a dead period in sports as college basketball, hockey, NBA are all in the middle of their seasons but not close enough to playoffs or tournaments to really demand attention.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
You are making a buttload of assumption but I will address one. There was no "commitment" to keep a 10 year deal on the table. It was an offer that was probably only good for a few days.

Yes, they want him but negotiations ebb and flow. The Nats budget has changed and so has the market (I guess). They would not be out of line to adjust their offer up or down.

The offer of committing to Harper for 10 years is still on the table.

But I doubt very much that signing Bryce was Option A and targeting Corbin and other players for a better 2019 team was Option B. They were all Option A and still are. Eaton in RF for 2019 is Option B.

Ownership is willing to go high payroll wise in 2019 and adjust for 2020.

Offline Baseball is Life

Do you have a source for this?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Do you have a source for this?

Yes. The source is the Nationals

They offered him 10/300, signed Corbin and others, and are still meeting with him.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I know when I was looking for a job, if someone made me a fair offer, I’d have time to consider it, but if I said “let me wait around for better offers to come in,” they would tell me to go kick rocks.

And before you tell me it’s different, I know it is. But don’t then compare it to what we would do in our lives. And this isn’t typical. Boras is known for keeping his clients from signing as a technique to get more money. It’s his right, but that doesn’t make it less annoying. It’s not like there are an infinite number of places the guy can go.

Who compared to you and job hunting?  Try re-reading. 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

maybe if bryce wanted that sweet $500 million deal he shouldn't have sucked in 2016 and most of 2018.  he played himself.  sorry if i don't feel sympathy for someone having to choose between a $300 million and a $330 million deal. poor bryce, all those jealous fans!  at this stage it's just selfishness and putting himself before the team he would eventually sign with.

Who said to feel sorry for him?  Where do some of you get this stuff?  Certainly not in what is in black and white that I wrote.

Offline DPMOmaha

They offered him 10/300, signed Corbin and others, and are still meeting with him.
that source saying that offer's still on the table?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Who compared to you and job hunting?  Try re-reading.

I literally said in what I wrote “before you tell me it’s different, I know it is.”  I’m just saying that people react in a certain way because the compare it to analogous experiences in their lives. You wondered why and attributed it to jealousy, which I don’t think is the case.

Offline Baseball is Life

Negotiations don't work like the way you think they work. Just because they are still meeting with him doesn't mean the original offer is still on the table.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Negotiations don't work like the way you think they work. Just because they are still meeting with him doesn't mean the original offer is still on the table.

So the Nationals, after Harper declined 10/300 met with him and offered 10/200? 10/299? 5/150?

OMG whether the original offer is or isn't off the table is irrelevant. The willingness for the Nationals to offer a 10 year contract to Harper is relevant however.

But since I'm so clueless, please inform me what the meetings were about.

Offline hotshot

Can you imagine what Bryce's attitude would be if, say, he now signed with the Nats for LESS than that original 10/300? How could that not affect him adversely?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Can you imagine what Bryce's attitude would be if, say, he now signed with the Nats for LESS than that original 10/300? How could that not affect him adversely?

Not sure that getting $300M/10Y was going to motivate him to hit the cut and improve his base running anyway.

Offline NJ Ave

I would think if they don't offer him the original 10/$300 then Washington would be the logical place for him to accept a pillow contract with favorable opt-outs to build his market up. I don't know why something like a 3/$110 million contract with opt-outs doesn't suit both sides.

Offline HalfSmokes

I would think if they don't offer him the original 10/$300 then Washington would be the logical place for him to accept a pillow contract with favorable opt-outs to build his market up. I don't know why something like a 3/$110 million contract with opt-outs doesn't suit both sides.

If the market turned so badly that he can’t get closenronthebdeal he wants, he probably doesn’t have the leverage for for those kinds of opt outs

Offline GburgNatsFan

So the Nationals, after Harper declined 10/300 met with him and offered 10/200? 10/299? 5/150?

OMG whether the original offer is or isn't off the table is irrelevant. The willingness for the Nationals to offer a 10 year contract to Harper is relevant however.

It's even possible the meeting was scheduled by Boras to make it look like there was more interest than there is.

Offline UMDNats

if he is not getting an enormous payday (i.e., $250+ guaranteed) at age 26 why would he get anything close to that at age 29. i would think he's going to try to maximize his guaranteed dollar amount this time around because he's equally as likely to decline in value over the next 3 years as he is to somehow increase his value

Offline GburgNatsFan

(snipped)

Is there someone claiming this publicly?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
Is there someone claiming this publicly?

Yeah. Because they already did. They already offered 10/300.

Why would they suddenly be worried about the 10 years?

Offline HalfSmokes

Yeah. Because they already did. They already offered 10/300.

Why would they suddenly be worried about the 10 years?

Because teams have budgets and they have since signed other players

Offline Baseball is Life

I'm happy to help. First, let's admit that we have no idea of what the meetings were about specifically.

Negotiations often work like this. I make an offer. You turn down the offer. You come back later. Offer may still be there or it may not. Negotiations then begin all over again (in this case, years, money,, etc.) based on new realities (in this case, market has changed, team budget has changed, etc.). Sometimes this works to the advantage of one side vs. the other. Easy, right?

Offline dracnal

Because teams have budgets and they have since signed other players

That, and if someone else was offering more than 10/300 I'm sure he would have signed by now. When Boras comes back to the Nats and says, 'Okay, he'll take the 10/300 you believe he's worth,' the team will just say, 'Believed. Believed he was worth before you tested the market and proved he isn't."

Offline Baseball is Life

That, and if someone else was offering more than 10/300 I'm sure he would have signed by now. When Boras comes back to the Nats and says, 'Okay, he'll take the 10/300 you believe he's worth,' the team will just say, 'Believed. Believed he was worth before you tested the market and proved he isn't."

Exactly. Of course, he can come back and say he got a better offer and give them the chance to top it. He then has a choice to make. It's not really that complicated.

Where it does get complicated is when you are comparing apples to oranges. Anyone who has gone through a process where they were getting offers from two different companies knows the feeling.

Offline nfotiu

It seems pretty established that 10/300 was on the table.  They had to have known that he wasn't going to take it at that point.   You don't risk injury and all that to go that close to free agency and then take the offer from your team, especially if you are repped by Boras.

So, the motivation was either 1) a token offer to appease the fans, or 2) it was offered like "Here's our offer, go shop around and see what's out there.  We'll keep the offer open, if you agree to let us try to match any better offers.".  Or another option was that 3)they thought they were making an aggressive offer, and said take it or leave it up to the start of free agency.   The second option seems most likely to me,  followed by the first, and the 3rd option just doesn't seem consistent with how the Lerners have treated Harper.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
I'm happy to help. First, let's admit that we have no idea of what the meetings were about specifically.

Negotiations often work like this. I make an offer. You turn down the offer. You come back later. Offer may still be there or it may not. Negotiations then begin all over again (in this case, years, money,, etc.) based on new realities (in this case, market has changed, team budget has changed, etc.). Sometimes this works to the advantage of one side vs. the other. Easy, right?

They don't offer a player 10 years because they are luke warm to him.

They didn't reach an agreement because of the years. It was the overall dollars.

For them to offer 10 years shows great commitment to him. And that doesn't fade because they signed Dozer.