Author Topic: 2018-2019 Offseason Moves  (Read 81767 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: 2018-2019 Offseason Moves
« Reply #1125: January 03, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
If we get a second baseman, do we need both Kendrick and Difo? Does Difo have options left?

Difo had one option left going into last season, so I assume that still exists.

If we sign a 2B, that leaves us with a bench of Kendrick, Difo, Taylor, Suzuki, and Adams, assuming Robles is your opening day CF.  Difo can cover 3B, SS, and 2B.  Kendrick can cover corner OF and 2B, Taylor can cover the entire OF (by himself), and Adams is your 1B / LF backup.  That's not the worst bench in the majors.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #1126: January 04, 2019, 03:43:16 PM »
Could be a guy to bring back (again). 

The Yankees announced that they’ve designated righty A.J. Cole for assignment in order to open a spot on the 40-man roster for Troy Tulowitzki, whose one-year, Major League contract is now official.

« Reply #1127: January 04, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
Yankees also just signed former Nats org POY and my cousin Billy Burns.  So jealous he gets to live in the city where Dunder Miflin paper is made.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1128: January 04, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »
Could be a guy to bring back (again). 

The Yankees announced that they’ve designated righty A.J. Cole for assignment in order to open a spot on the 40-man roster for Troy Tulowitzki, whose one-year, Major League contract is now official.

S/t invite only.

« Reply #1129: January 04, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »
S/t invite only.

He generated a ton of swing and misses with the Yanks, just was undone by the long ball.  Getting back to the NL as a multi-inning reliever could make him effective.  Yea, absolutely bring him back on a minor league deal with a ST invite. 

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
« Reply #1130: January 06, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
Crazy talk, but if Harper re-signs and the Nats sign a Dozier, Lowrie, Harrison, Marwin, whomever...aren't Eaton and Difo then expendable?  And isn't Eaton and Difo the kind of package the Indians are looking to get for Kluber?  That's be a bit of a rotation.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1131: January 06, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Crazy talk, but if Harper re-signs and the Nats sign a Dozier, Lowrie, Harrison, Marwin, whomever...aren't Eaton and Difo then expendable?  And isn't Eaton and Difo the kind of package the Indians are looking to get for Kluber?  That's be a bit of a rotation.

They want much more. Like what the White Sox got for Sale. You’d have to throw in Kieboom and maybe Garcia

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1132: January 06, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
They want much more. Like what the White Sox got for Sale. You’d have to throw in Kieboom and maybe Garcia
I don't agree with you.  You may have to throw in Garcia, and Difo is no great shakes, but they are in a different position than the Chisox were with Sale.  They are not going to need Robles plus and do an all prospects deal.  Moncada was rated higher than Robles, and we have no equivalent of Kopech after trading Lopez and Giolito.  Chisox were non-contenders, while Cleveland is still a big favorite in the AL Central.  That's completely different stages of the development / contention cycle.  Cleveland is looking to extend a competitive cycle by trading some of their more expensive surplus. They have tons of starting pitching, a pathetic outfield, and are counting on an aging 2B (Kipnis).  Eaton has value to them.  I could see an MI who is a year away having value (Garcia / Kieboom), as would a vet who could cover 2B as a bridge.

Chili - great minds think alike.  Maybe not great minds, but -
Unlike a lot of salary dumps, Eaton is still pretty good value over the next couple of years and could start right away for Cleveland, so I think he could be a component of a deal for something you want.   Cleveland would probably be OK with a straight salary swap. Kluber is due $36MM over the next 3 years, Eaton is about $15MM if his first option in 2020 is not picked up ($25MM if if it is).  OTOH, there's no way the Nats could get a pitcher as good as Kluber for 3 years and only have to pay an incremental $11MM, so I think a deal built around a Kluber for Eaton plus a prospect may make some sense.

Edit - Bauers projects to be more expensive than Kluber at 2 more years of arb and an MLBTR projection of $11.6MM for this year.
there was a digression on this in the where does harper end up thread a couple days ago.  Cory had some thoughts, but click on the link for some discussion.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #1133: January 06, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
A lot more! I'm sure Difo is of little or no interest and Eaton's injury history is a big drag on his value.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #1134: January 06, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
A lot more! I'm sure Difo is of little or no interest and Eaton's injury history is a big drag on his value.
They really have no outfield now. They could want Taylor also. Especially for their home park, CF is huge and a Gold glove cailber fielder who can hit 15-20 HR might be intriguing . Maybe a Ross, Eaton, Taylor, Garcia and Cate package?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1135: January 06, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
"Eaton's injury history."

Really...he's had one (1) injury...on a freak play.  They guy isn't Ryan Zimmerman for chrisakes...and thank goodness for that...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1136: January 06, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
"Eaton's injury history."

Really...he's had one (1) injury...on a freak play.  They guy isn't Ryan Zimmerman for chrisakes...and thank goodness for that...

People get an idea in their heads and won’t let go. Like a dog with a bone.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1137: January 06, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »
People get an idea in their heads and won’t let go. Like a dog with a bone.
He missed most of two season with that one injury. And looks like he runs with a limp now. Hope he’s all better this year.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1138: January 06, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
He missed most of two season with that one injury. And looks like he runs with a limp now. Hope he’s all better this year.

He played like 100 games last year. And that’s only because they misdiagnosed the ankle issue. Nobody that is paid to evaluate these things is blowing him off because he’s “injury prone”

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1139: January 06, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
He played like 100 games last year. And that’s only because they misdiagnosed the ankle issue. Nobody that is paid to evaluate these things is blowing him off because he’s “injury prone”
Wow. 100 games. Sounds like Zimm! 

It was a serious injury. The concern is how long does it take for full recovery. Maybe he will be fine this year.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #1140: January 06, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
I hold my breath when he plays. Also, that chondral flap surgery seems to have had some lasting effect on both his power and defense.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1141: January 06, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
Wow. 100 games. Sounds like Zimm! 

It was a serious injury. The concern is how long does it take for full recovery. Maybe he will be fine this year.

Well, when you say a guy missed ‘most’ of the season, it’s pretty easy to refute when he indeed played a lot more than half games.
And I’m not sure what you want for a ‘full recovery.’ If you mean performance at the level before the injury, then he’s there. If you mean, level that some untrained evaluator can tell by just eyeballing that he doesn’t ‘look injured,’ then I guess he’s got a ways to go.

The guy had a serious injury, it takes time to recover. He didn’t have any other injuries the second half and has recovered. It was a freak injury.  It’s nothing like Zimmerman.
But let’s ignore data because you know, feelings..

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1142: January 06, 2019, 03:21:58 PM »
Well, when you say a guy missed ‘most’ of the season, it’s pretty easy to refute when he indeed played a lot more than half games.
And I’m not sure what you want for a ‘full recovery.’ If you mean performance at the level before the injury, then he’s there. If you mean, level that some untrained evaluator can tell by just eyeballing that he doesn’t ‘look injured,’ then I guess he’s got a ways to go.

The guy had a serious injury, it takes time to recover. He didn’t have any other injuries the second half and has recovered. It was a freak injury.  It’s nothing like Zimmerman.
But let’s ignore data because you know, feelings..
Ok, he missed almost all of 2017 and almost half of 2018.  Those are the facts.  That's a darn serious injury when you miss that much time. 
I'm not the only one here who noticed the giddyup in his gait when he came back last year.  Like I said it might be that he is fully recovered for 2019.  You don't know that for sure--it's not a fact.  GMs will be skeptical and use the injuries to give up less for him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1143: January 06, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »
Ok, he missed almost all of 2017 and almost half of 2018.  Those are the facts.  That's a darn serious injury when you miss that much time. 
I'm not the only one here who noticed the giddyup in his gait when he came back last year.  Like I said it might be that he is fully recovered for 2019.  You don't know that for sure--it's not a fact.  GMs will be skeptical and use the injuries to give up less for him.

But his performance last year was the same as it was before the injury. That’s the only fact we actually know. He performed at his career levels in average, OBP, slugging, SB, wRC+. In what world is that not full recovery?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1144: January 06, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »
But his performance last year was the same as it was before the injury. That’s the only fact we actually know. He performed at his career levels in average, OBP, slugging, SB, wRC+. In what world is that not full recovery?

Philadelphia...  :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1145: January 06, 2019, 04:05:54 PM »
He also sat out multiple games in September due to knee soreness. Look it up.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/mlb/6632/adam-eaton

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1146: January 06, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
Let's face it. The injury is a potential problem with his value. We probably can't evaluate its effect on his  value.  Without it, that's a nice contract for a guy who is a good corner of and a great obp guy. I think he's closer to the high value guy now, especially for the Indians, who have a need and are looking to dump salary.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #1147: January 07, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »

In addition to what people said about the value, if you dump Difo you also need to find a backup SS and a roster spot to carry him.   Out of the group you named, only Gonzalez is really even a fill-in at SS at this stage, and I wouldn't want him there for more than a few days.  I'm not a big Difo fan, but he's probably more valuable to the Nats as presently constructed than he is as trade fodder for Cleveland (which has at least one better backup infield option in AAA and no gaping hole at MLB level right now).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1148: January 07, 2019, 11:18:54 AM »
Difo has little to no trade value. He's not really a good player. No-bat, all-glove backups are available anywhere. He has more value to us than in any trade.

lol @ at the idea Eaton & Difo get you Kluber.

« Reply #1149: January 07, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »
Difo has little to no trade value. He's not really a good player. No-bat, all-glove backups are available anywhere. He has more value to us than in any trade.

lol @ at the idea Eaton & Difo get you Kluber.

Yea, I mean in some super minor deal for a C prospect or as a throw in a team might take Difo, but he's basically equal to a minor league free agent.  He's no longer a prospect.  We need somebody that can play SS besides Turner on the active roster, so Difo is worth something to us.