Author Topic: I, For One, Welcome Our New CF Overlord (The Robles Thread)  (Read 42297 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Tell me how Span was better.

Eaton has a higher batting average, a much higher OBP, higher slugging, and better steal rate here in DC.
more that you would rather have Eaton than Robles is center.  Span isn't a great comparable for Robles.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
more that you would rather have Eaton than Robles is center.  Span isn't a great comparable for Robles.
I didn't say that. I have no problem with Eaton in right and Robles in center. All I said is that Eaton is a far superior leadoff hitter than Span was in DC. Unless we re-sign Harper to a team friendly deal, Eaton should keep that spot as long as he is healthy, unless Robles or Turner can suddnely find an OBP of .370 or better

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
can someone find the Dulles Troll Road picture again?

You gotta pay the toll to get to the boy's soul.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I didn't say that. I have no problem with Eaton in right and Robles in center. All I said is that Eaton is a far superior leadoff hitter than Span was in DC. Unless we re-sign Harper to a team friendly deal, Eaton should keep that spot as long as he is healthy, unless Robles or Turner can suddnely find an OBP of .370 or better
Of course, the only way Eaton isn't the lead off hitter next year is if Harper is brought back

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Of course, the only way Eaton isn't the lead off hitter next year is if Harper is brought back
Back on thread, the question next year for Robles isn't where they hit Eaton. They hit Eaton low in lineup a few times late but I think that was just to give Robles some burn. Question may end up being if it is or Turner who is tabbed to hit second.

Offline Slateman

Back on thread, the question next year for Robles isn't where they hit Eaton. They hit Eaton low in lineup a few times late but I think that was just to give Robles some burn. Question may end up being if it is or Turner who is tabbed to hit second.
No reason to hit either of them there.

Eaton
Rendon
Soto
Zimmerman
Grandal
Turner
Robles
Difo
Pitcher

Put all the speed at the end of the lineup and let them bother the fielders/pitcher on the back end. Makes the pitcher sacrificing them over a lot easier.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Robles has 52 days of service time, by my calculation he would have to sit out until the June 4th game against the White Sox in order for the Nats to gain a year of team control. So far MAT is the best hitting Nat after five games but how long can that last.

Offline Count Walewski

Robles has 52 days of service time, by my calculation he would have to sit out until the June 4th game against the White Sox in order for the Nats to gain a year of team control. So far MAT is the best hitting Nat after five games but how long can that last.

Lol. If they do that to him he can at least commiserate with Eloy Jimenez.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted

I guess we will see if he has improved his discipline. But he seems very comfortable with his new swing. Last year he never seemed comfortable with any changes.

I think he has fire right now. Something to prove.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Lol. If they do that to him he can at least commiserate with Eloy Jimenez.

As a general rule I think that's it's a no brainer decision to get the extra year but I think that the Nats made the call last September when they brought him up for garbage time. Probably a mistake.

Online Natsinpwc

As a general rule I think that's it's a no brainer decision to get the extra year but I think that the Nats made the call last September when they brought him up for garbage time. Probably a mistake.
If Bryant leaves the Cubs not sure everyone will say that. Need to play him from the start if he gives you the best chance to win. Games in April and May count just as much. A new labor agreement may change it all anyway.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

As Zuck noted, MAT is routinely the Grapefruit League MVP, so how much confidence do you want to have in "this year he'll be able to carry it into the regular season"?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
As Zuck noted, MAT is routinely the Grapefruit League MVP, so how much confidence do you want to have in "this year he'll be able to carry it into the regular season"?

I think that Robles starts the season in DC, but if Rizzo decided to try to wait until 6/4 he could always reverse that and bring up Robles at any time.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I think that Robles starts the season in DC, but if Rizzo decided to try to wait until 6/4 he could always reverse that and bring up Robles at any time.

In that case who would be the 4th OF?  Stevenson?  I agree that Robles is likely to be our starting CF with Taylor on the bench.  We do probably need to think about adding another veteran OF at some point for the inevitable Eaton DL stint.

Offline nfotiu

If Bryant leaves the Cubs not sure everyone will say that. Need to play him from the start if he gives you the best chance to win. Games in April and May count just as much. A new labor agreement may change it all anyway.
I think it's very likely they change these rules before it matters for Robles.  Unless there is some kind of grandfathering, I guess.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Seeing a young prospect like Robles develop is one of the best things about baseball.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Seeing a young prospect like Robles develop is one of the best things about baseball.
Just think, we have him for 6 years before he walks!

Offline UMDNats

i don't see us freaking around with service time for Robles in a win-now season. those early games matter with the NL east looking so good and taylor can't be given 2 months to figure it out after years of being a 0 offensively.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

:lol:  :(

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Robles needs to be prime McCutchen with more steals to not be a bust.  I think he can do it. 

Offline Air Desmond

The future of the franchise is in good hands. Last year, Soto burst onto the scene. It’s now time for Robles to flourish. They will both be all stars one day.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Robles needs to be prime McCutchen with more steals to not be a bust.  I think he can do it.

He needs to be better than a guy who won a Gold Glove and an MVP in consecutive seasons while going to five all-star games in a row or he's a bust.  Bless.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Prime McCutchen is a MVP and a 9 win season. Is that really the threshold? That seems insane even for WNFF.

Offline Slateman

5 if he starts the season in CF!!