Author Topic: This Weekend's Braves Series  (Read 1148 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

This Weekend's Braves Series
« Topic Start: September 11, 2018, 11:45:13 PM »
So the latest forecast models have the remnants of Hurricane Florence staying well south and west of us so the D.C. area will be spared but now it looks like the western Carolinas and northern Georgia are going to get impacted. Anyone think MLB might consider moving this weekend's series to a neutral site? Depending on the timing, they might be able to preemptively cancel the Sunday game and play two on Friday or Saturday before things get bad but I can't imagine the Nats would be up for a third doubleheader in less than a week. It'll be interesting to see what may happen.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
Re: This Weekend's Braves Series
« Reply #1: September 12, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
I can't imagine the Nats would be up for a third doubleheader in less than a week. It'll be interesting to see what may happen.

Has there been a time when a team has played three doubleheaders in a week?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: September 12, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »
Has there been a time when a team has played three doubleheaders in a week?

September 3-6, 2006: Atlanta played three doubleheaders in five days, including two on consecutive days against the Phillies.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #3: September 12, 2018, 08:07:38 AM »
September 3-6, 2006: Atlanta played three doubleheaders in five days, including two on consecutive days against the Phillies.

And how did they do?

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #4: September 12, 2018, 08:08:01 AM »

Thanks. That sounds exhausting.

The Nats are 2-0 in doubleheader wins. Maybe this is how they finally catch up to Philadelphia.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: September 12, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
Suntrust doesn't have a roof.  there have been series moved for weather, so maybe it does make sense to do some schedule shifting to Friday.  This has got to be a big attendance series in Atlanta if they have big series (but I don't know if Saturday and college football would tamp down the crowd regardless of the division clinch potential).  I'm starting to believe that 10/1 is going to have a regular season game for some team that needs it for the NL playoff races. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: September 12, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »
And how did they do?

2-4 in the doubleheader games 3-4 during the whole 5 day stretch. They split the two with with the Phillies and got swept in the one with the Mets, which was the last of the three doubleheaders. That team finished 83-79.

They went 6-4 in their next 10 games including three in a row immediately after the doubleheaders.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: September 12, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
Jayson Stark@jaysonst
1 hour ago
The #Nationals have seen a lot of tarps lately. And they have 3 games scheduled in Atlanta this weekend with a hurricane coming. Rumors rippling through their clubhouse that those games could get moved to Miami if the forecast doesn’t improve.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #8: September 12, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »
Jayson Stark@jaysonst
1 hour ago
The #Nationals have seen a lot of tarps lately. And they have 3 games scheduled in Atlanta this weekend with a hurricane coming. Rumors rippling through their clubhouse that those games could get moved to Miami if the forecast doesn’t improve.

Miami should be the last place the Nats should play a game. Hurricanes and Florida are the perfect pair.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #9: September 12, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
Miami should be the last place the Nats should play a game. Hurricanes and Florida are the perfect pair.

Dome ;)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: September 12, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »

I've posted this before but it's a good watch:

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #11: September 12, 2018, 08:10:44 PM »
Dome ;)

I doubt they'd open the stadium during the game. Miami would be pretty much underwater ;)

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #12: September 12, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »
I've posted this before but it's a good watch:

For all the stadium's glitz and glamour, a majority of Miami residents did not want it built. The government used public money to finance the thing, and it's yet to make a worthwhile return to the city.

Hurricane proof? Cool. A crap deal that screwed Miami taxpayers? Absolutely.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #13: September 12, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
I doubt they'd open the stadium during the game. Miami would be pretty much underwater ;)

They’re used to minimal fan involvement there.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #14: September 12, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »
They’re used to minimal fan involvement there.

Noth much even with the stadium. You think it's bad when fans of the opposite team invade Nats Park? Try going to Marlins Park.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #15: September 13, 2018, 10:42:22 PM »
Braves are offering free tickets and discounted concessions to evacuees for the the weekend series. That’s a classy move.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #16: September 14, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
Braves are offering free tickets and discounted concessions to evacuees for the the weekend series. That’s a classy move.

I wonder how stadium people are checking that. Looking for out-of-state licenses?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #17: September 14, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »
I wonder how stadium people are checking that. Looking for out-of-state licenses?

They'll be the people who are drenched from head to toe dripping water wherever they go.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #18: September 14, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
They'll be the people who are drenched from head to toe dripping water wherever they go.

:lmao:

They are just soaked. All the time.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #19: September 16, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »

You have to pick them up at the box office and present a license with a zip code that is in one of the “affected areas.”

My dad was there on Friday picking up tickets for next weekend (he’s a miserly old man and will drive to the box office to avoid fees on principle.) He said there was a huge line of evacuees picking up thier free tickets.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #20: September 16, 2018, 03:21:45 PM »
You have to pick them up at the box office and present a license with a zip code that is in one of the “affected areas.”

My dad was there on Friday picking up tickets for next weekend (he’s a miserly old man and will drive to the box office to avoid fees on principle.) He said there was a huge line of evacuees picking up thier free tickets.

Thanks. That confirms my suspicions. I'm surprised that many evacuees decided to attend a Braves game. I wonder how many of those people were Nats fans :lol: