Author Topic: The Athletic's first DC writer...  (Read 3949 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: The Athletic's first DC writer...
« Reply #75: December 03, 2018, 03:41:39 PM »
Exceptional is a strong word IMO. There's good stuff in there but the majority I've seen is the same exact content we get from other beat writers. I'm not really expecting the newest Nats beat writer to provide anything exemplary. Chelsea has been on it for a few years and is just now hitting her stride with sources. The national writers dominate baseball scoops anyways.
Chelsea's tweet are fun too. She's cutting loose. On the "build a roof" bandwagon now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: December 03, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
Chelsea's tweet are fun too. She's cutting loose. On the "build a roof" bandwagon now.
her tweet about the Nats when they were 69-69 was . . . what's the word for it?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #77: December 04, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »
Met him (briefly) a few years ago at the bottom of the media steps behind HP on the 3rd level.    He was with the missus.    Told him I enjoyed his work and he was very gracious with his time and words.    However, that doesn't mean I ain't gonna give him crap.    :)

I'm an Aldridge fan.

Wonder if we can get somebody from the TADC to stop by?    Maybe they consider themselves too serious a "publication" but it might be a good way to spread the word   ....   other forums as well.       Make it happen FP.

I saw David Aldridge in the alumni section at American University basketball games, mostly in 2008-09, when the team made the NCAA tournament for the first times in school history. I probably spoke to him a few times, not realizing that he was an accomplished sports journalist. I think the announcer might have identified him on the few televised games. He has received several lifetime achievement awards at AU and has been a frequent host of AU gatherings or interviews of AU figures.

This is a decent description of how he moved from high school and college journalism into sports journalism:
https://2paragraphs.com/2017/11/did-david-aldridge-play-in-the-nba-how-aldridge-got-his-tnt-tbs-nba-tv-commentator-reporter-job/

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #78: December 04, 2018, 01:54:19 PM »
her tweet about the Nats when they were 69-69 was . . . what's the word for it?

nice.

Chelsea is my favorite Nats beat writer since Kilgore, I think I might like her more tbh.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #79: December 04, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
Nice.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #80: December 04, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
Reading the Athletic is like reading the drivel from the Huffington Post or ESPN. It's bad enough that the WaPo jams their liberal bias in our faces, why would I want my sports content delivered the same way? My father and grandfather worked at the WaPo for over 70 years between the two of them... it turns my stomach to think about where the WaPo is now as a newspaper (still better than the Athletic).

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #81: December 04, 2018, 07:33:30 PM »
David Aldridge is tonight's color commentator for a rare televised  American University men's basketball game, vs St. Francis on NBSWA (formerly Comcast Sportsnet).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #82: December 04, 2018, 07:51:51 PM »
Reading the Athletic is like reading the drivel from the Huffington Post or ESPN. It's bad enough that the WaPo jams their liberal bias in our faces, why would I want my sports content delivered the same way? My father and grandfather worked at the WaPo for over 70 years between the two of them... it turns my stomach to think about where the WaPo is now as a newspaper (still better than the Athletic).

The new beat writer wrote an article about the Corbin signing. I was tempted to subscribe because I'm sure that it contains unique analysis that I can't read anywhere else, but if the site is as bad as you say I'll pass.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83: December 04, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »

Are you saying that the Athletic has a liberal bias? What is the issue with how the athletic’s content is delivered.? I don’t really see it. I subscribe to it and I think it’s worth it.  They give me decent Michigan football coverage and I Ike their baseball coverage. Just having Rosenthal adds value.  I find it’s my go in the morning for general sports coverage and I think the writing is good. Not as good as the Post, but it gives me coverage of things the Post is light on. For Instance, I think their Red Wing coverage is pretty good.

In any case, I’d be curious to see how any subscribe. There are so many deals on it right now, I don’t think it’s that bad of a value.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #84: December 05, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
It's bad enough that the WaPo jams their liberal bias in our faces

Insert bias where? Their news coverage?