Author Topic: The Athletic's first DC writer...  (Read 1689 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: The Athletic's first DC writer...
« Reply #50: September 05, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
There's got to have been a reason(s) why Phil didn't get one of the choice radio/TV gigs when the Nats first came to town. I mean, as bad as his air presence was/is, he was "Mr. Baseball" for a baseball-less DC for decades. He had to be wondering to himself, what happened?

I was referring to Paulsen but I suppose Phil has pissed some people off over the years.    He's been known to speak his mind.

Offline varoadking

• Grandpa VaRK
« Reply #51: September 05, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
I was referring to Paulsen but I suppose Phil has pissed some people off over the years.    He's been known to speak his mind.

He loves Drew Storen...

Offline Ray D

« Reply #52: September 06, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »
There's got to have been a reason(s) why Phil didn't get one of the choice radio/TV gigs when the Nats first came to town.
Yeah.  He stutters.  A stutterer isn't going to get an announcing gig.  He otherwise would have been a good choice.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #53: September 08, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
There's got to have been a reason(s) why Phil didn't get one of the choice radio/TV gigs when the Nats first came to town. I mean, as bad as his air presence was/is, he was "Mr. Baseball" for a baseball-less DC for decades. He had to be wondering to himself, what happened?

Phil just mentioned on Nats' Talk that he had the Channel 5 sports job lined up in the early '80s but turned it down.   He recommended Al Koken for the job.    The rest is history.    :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #54: September 08, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
Phil just mentioned on Nats' Talk that he had the Channel 5 sports job lined up in the early '80s but turned it down.   He recommended Al Koken for the job.    The rest is history.    :)

He's sort of an odd duck, isn't he. Does that teaching stint at Austin Peay every year, for instance. Must have a reliable source of income (maybe he married well).

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #55: September 08, 2018, 10:56:30 PM »
Phil Wood is a wonderful person if you meet him and he's super smart. I once talked to him at the park when he had some of his DC sports memorabilia on display for some event. It must have been 30 minutes with him just showing me his stuff.

The only thing I don't like about him is that he can go on a bit too long about a specific topic. He needs to let everybody know his incredible grasp of minutia and that he's the smartest guy in the room. That can get annoying. But you can't deny what he knows about and what he's done for DC baseball. He's really a legend.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #56: September 08, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »
He's sort of an odd duck, isn't he. Does that teaching stint at Austin Peay every year, for instance. Must have a reliable source of income (maybe he married well).

He doesn't strike me as the guy who values money over other things.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #58: September 10, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
Phil Wood is a wonderful person if you meet him and he's super smart. I once talked to him at the park when he had some of his DC sports memorabilia on display for some event. It must have been 30 minutes with him just showing me his stuff.

The only thing I don't like about him is that he can go on a bit too long about a specific topic. He needs to let everybody know his incredible grasp of minutia and that he's the smartest guy in the room. That can get annoying. But you can't deny what he knows about and what he's done for DC baseball. He's really a legend.

Met him (briefly) a few years ago at the bottom of the media steps behind HP on the 3rd level.    He was with the missus.    Told him I enjoyed his work and he was very gracious with his time and words.    However, that doesn't mean I ain't gonna give him crap.    :)

David Aldridge will be in in charge of the DC coverage.

https://theathletic.com/511808/2018/09/10/david-aldridge-at-home-in-d-c-covering-the-teams-and-city-that-i-love/?campaign_type=branded-content&campaign_id=DavidAldridge&source=fbadsbc

I'm an Aldridge fan.

Wonder if we can get somebody from the TADC to stop by?    Maybe they consider themselves too serious a "publication" but it might be a good way to spread the word   ....   other forums as well.       Make it happen FP.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #59: September 10, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
They haven’t named their Nationals coverage team yet. I curious who they will poach.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: September 10, 2018, 10:22:09 PM »
They haven’t named their Nationals coverage team yet. I curious who they will poach.

Zuckerman?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #61: September 10, 2018, 10:25:28 PM »
He's sort of an odd duck, isn't he.
Odd duck indeed. I'm sure that has alot to do with why I like him so much.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #62: September 11, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
Me too.
Odd duck indeed. I'm sure that has alot to do with why I like him so much.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #63: September 11, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
the layoffs that are going to happen in 2020 are going to be interesting

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #64: September 11, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »

Yes, when the venture capitalists realize they aren't making as much as money as they thought and start gutting the organization.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #65: September 11, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

the business plan for most 'disrupter' businesses seems to be capture market share and then increase prices. I just don't see that working in sports. Unless you are extremely niche, i.e. sports business daily, I'm note sure there aren't a myriad of sources producing very similar content for free or as part of a subscription that the target audience already has (i.e. NYT and WAPO). I looked at the DC site and it doesn't look any better or different than other outlets

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #66: September 11, 2018, 01:18:37 PM »
the business plan for most 'disrupter' businesses seems to be capture market share and then increase prices. I just don't see that working in sports. Unless you are extremely niche, i.e. sports business daily, I'm note sure there aren't a myriad of sources producing very similar content for free or as part of a subscription that the target audience already has (i.e. NYT and WAPO). I looked at the DC site and it doesn't look any better or different than other outlets

they offered a free article by their national hockey guy scott burnside that was previewing the caps yesterday

he basically phoned it in, it was obvious he just listed off some generic "can they repeat" lines and looked at the roster and some "prospect" lists as he went through. there was literally nothing original in the article besides him saying "some sources tell me they think Rierden will be a good coach."

i was in awe that their editor said "yeah, this will get people to sign up!" when it was worse than anything on japer's rink or RMNB.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #67: September 11, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
they offered a free article by their national hockey guy scott burnside that was previewing the caps yesterday

he basically phoned it in, it was obvious he just listed off some generic "can they repeat" lines and looked at the roster and some "prospect" lists as he went through. there was literally nothing original in the article besides him saying "some sources tell me they think Rierden will be a good coach."

i was in awe that their editor said "yeah, this will get people to sign up!" when it was worse than anything on japer's rink or RMNB.

that's the conundrum- make it in depth enough that rabid fans find it of value and join and you probably turn off casual fans and the rabid fans probably aren't enough to justify multiple salaried reporters per city. Don't make it in depth enough for rabid fans and they are other outlets peddling the same stories for free

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #68: November 27, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
Brittany Ghiroli joins The Athletic on the Nats beat.

https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/status/1067433009324802048?s=20

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: November 27, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
Relevance dies behind a paywall

Offline Greg_SRT

• Warm Hugs!!!
« Reply #70: November 28, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #71: November 28, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
I mean...maybe, but they've raised an insane amount of capital and put out exceptional content.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #72: November 28, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
I mean...maybe, but they've raised an insane amount of capital and put out exceptional content.

I've read zero articles from the Athletic and have had zero sense that I'm missing out on info about my teams.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #73: November 28, 2018, 03:30:54 PM »

I've read zero articles from the Athletic and have had zero sense that I'm missing out on info about my teams.
Doesn't change the veracity of my statement.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #74: December 03, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »

Exceptional is a strong word IMO. There's good stuff in there but the majority I've seen is the same exact content we get from other beat writers. I'm not really expecting the newest Nats beat writer to provide anything exemplary. Chelsea has been on it for a few years and is just now hitting her stride with sources. The national writers dominate baseball scoops anyways.