Author Topic: The Athletic's first DC writer...  (Read 2171 times)

Offline dcpatti

The Athletic's first DC writer...
« Topic Start: September 04, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »

I think I'll stick with the Post...

(seriously not impressed. Grant, like a lot of the guys at 106.7, has a tendency towards the dramatic, and doesn't seem to have the depth that guys like Rosenthal and Stark offer.  I know that The Athletic had a hard time poaching talent from the Post but still feels like Paulson is a consolation pick, and while I believe they are announcing more writers next week, isn't your first announcement supposed to be the one that Wows everyone?)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: The Athletic's first DC writer...
« Reply #1: September 04, 2018, 10:29:17 AM »
Only issue I have with Grant is that he's a committed Orioles fan, despite growing up in the DC area.   He's one of the lost generation, duped by Angelos's PR machine.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: September 04, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
:lmao: for an outlet that tries to build its base in markets by hiring away the best writers, this is a little underwhelming

Offline Ray D

« Reply #3: September 04, 2018, 10:38:28 AM »
I'd rather read than listen to him.  His voice is torture.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: September 04, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »
They also added Tarik El-Bashir, Rhiannon Walker and Mark Bullock.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #5: September 04, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »
The best writers are usually not found in the radio field. ;)

Online spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: September 04, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »
shouldn't that read, "lost of Redskins and Nationals content and daily updates on Kirk Cousins."?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: September 04, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I think I'll stick with the Post...

(seriously not impressed. Grant, like a lot of the guys at 106.7, has a tendency towards the dramatic, and doesn't seem to have the depth that guys like Rosenthal and Stark offer.  I know that The Athletic had a hard time poaching talent from the Post but still feels like Paulson is a consolation pick, and while I believe they are announcing more writers next week, isn't your first announcement supposed to be the one that Wows everyone?)

When I saw the thread title and the tweet poster, I thought, "Please dear Lord, don't let it be the Post."    It would have been less traumatic if I had known what The Athletic's was.         :phew:     I wonder if he types with a whine.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #8: September 04, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Jesse Dougherty, a young reporter at the Post, is now covering the Nats. I've enjoyed his work on high school sports and am interested to read his coverage.

Online UMDNats

« Reply #9: September 04, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
still waiting for a single piece of content that is worth paying for from the athletic

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: September 04, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
still waiting for a single piece of content that is worth paying for from the athletic, nation-wide.

The plan seems to be to empty sports desks so that’s readers won’t have any option but to flock to them not realizing that sports beat reporters are very much a fungible commodity as are sports columnists

Online bluestreak

« Reply #11: September 04, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
I have an Atlhletic subscription because I like Rosethal and their Detroit coverage is quite good. But this underwhelms me. I imagine that since the Post is one of the few newspapers that’s doing well, they were able to hold onto their talent in a way that, say, the Detroit Free Press could not.
This seems like a move that acknowledges that the DC Market is a big hole in their coverage and also exposes the reason it was a hole, i.e. they couldn’t get good people from the area.

I’ll still read for the Michigan coverage and stick to the Post for other stuff.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #12: September 04, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
still waiting for a single piece of content that is worth paying for from the athletic

The stuff is behind a paywall. Now, if WNFF is willing to go in on a yearly subscription...

That is, assuming people here even want to read it.

Online UMDNats

« Reply #13: September 04, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »
The plan seems to be to empty sports desks so that’s readers won’t have any option but to flock to them not realizing that sports beat reporters are very much a fungible commodity as are sports columnists

especially in big markets where beat reporters all do the same thing. I love Tarik but his coverage was no different than the Post or even RMNB or Japer's Rink. don't remember him breaking any news or wowing me. he was an amazing beat writer when he was at the post and i like him but i can get that content anywhere.

The only way the Athletic is worth paying for is if they break stories behind a paywall, have incredible stories you can't find anywhere else and have analysis that is actually, you know, good and thorough and thought-provoking. all i see from the athletic or any of these pay-sports sites is the same generic stories you can find anywhere. i pay for maryland's 247 website because the owner of it breaks most major stories, their recruiting info is unique/unparalleled, a ton of posters have good/cool info, and mostly the community is awesome.

anyways, good for all these writers slurping up that VC money.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #14: September 04, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
they were able to hold onto their talent in a way that, say, the Detroit Free Press could not.

Yes, that is exactly what's happening to papers across the country. It's not surprising sportswriters with years of experience at a paper immediately jumps ship for The Athletic. One reason: a much, much better salary.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: September 04, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »
especially in big markets where beat reporters all do the same thing. I love Tarik but his coverage was no different than the Post or even RMNB or Japer's Rink. don't remember him breaking any news or wowing me. he was an amazing beat writer when he was at the post and i like him but i can get that content anywhere.

The only way the Athletic is worth paying for is if they break stories behind a paywall, have incredible stories you can't find anywhere else and have analysis that is actually, you know, good and thorough and thought-provoking. all i see from the athletic or any of these pay-sports sites is the same generic stories you can find anywhere. i pay for maryland's 247 website because the owner of it breaks most major stories, their recruiting info is unique/unparalleled, a ton of posters have good/cool info, and mostly the community is awesome.

anyways, good for all these writers slurping up that VC money.

I would pay for good local long form, the kind of stuff Dave McKenna does on deadspin occasionally with local high schools. Even if the athletic's reporters break stories constantly, it would be all over free outlets fairly quickly. 

Online UMDNats

« Reply #16: September 04, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
I would pay for good local long form, the kind of stuff Billy Haisley does on deadspin occasionally with local high schools. Even if the athletic's reporters break stories constantly, it would be all over free outlets fairly quickly. 

right, i agree, i would probably pay for a one-stop, great longform, occasional breaking, good scoops kind of site. the athletic...is not this.

the wapost story on that cup of coffee MLB guy was awesome. the athletic doesn't touch that.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #17: September 04, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
right, i agree, i would probably pay for a one-stop, great longform, occasional breaking, good scoops kind of site. the athletic...is not this.

the wapost story on that cup of coffee MLB guy was awesome. the athletic doesn't touch that.

This x2.   That was a fantastic piece.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #18: September 04, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
Just stick with The Post, which needs our subscription money more than The Athletic.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #19: September 04, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »
Just stick with The Post, which needs our subscription money more than The Athletic.
Indeed. Democracy dies behind a paywall.

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #20: September 04, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »
:)

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #21: September 04, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »

Covering the news ain't cheap.

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #22: September 04, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
Covering the news ain't cheap.

I still have a paper delivered. :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #23: September 04, 2018, 02:17:43 PM »

I get the digital Post but still pick up the Sunday hardcopy.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #24: September 04, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »

So do we...for the coupons and the funnies...  :D

I get the obit's from the Richmond Times-Dispatch every week via email.  I figure if I don't see my name, things must be fine...  ;)