Author Topic: Daniel Murphy & Cubs Fans Reaction to Him  (Read 2572 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Daniel Murphy Traded to Cubs
« Reply #25: August 24, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
I *used* to be a Chevy guy and didn’t like Fords. Does that make me ignorant?

It might be like number 10,543 on the list.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #26: August 24, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
It might be like number 10,543 on the list.

I thought it might’ve been more than that.  :mg:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #27: August 24, 2018, 08:53:11 PM »
It's ridiculous to characterize a fairly common religious belief as homophobic.  Ryan Church said that all us Jews were going to hell. I wasn't offended and didn't take it as an antisemitic remark.  It's what he believes. (Or believed.) He's entitled to his religious beliefs, as Murphy is, as you are, and and as I am.
I remember that incident well . He posed a question that if Jews didn't believe in Christ would they go to hell? At the time he was dating a Jewish woman. I did not find it offensive but rather some one who had not lived a secular life.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Daniel Murphy & Cubs Fans Reaction to Him
« Reply #28: August 26, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
yeah I know, small sample size:

4 games, 19 ABs: .368 / .368 / .684, 2 HRs

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #29: August 26, 2018, 10:45:52 PM »
I read the comment in question and all Murphy did was recite basic Christian teachings when it comes to homosexuality.  He went the whole "love the sinner, not the sin" route (which is theologically correct from my knowledge) but with the reaction of some people in the media you'd think he went full Westboro Baptist Church. 

The whole "I feel guilty rooting for the Cubs now" stuff I've read on some corners is just laughable.  This article is a good example of my problem with the reaction to Murphy's comments: https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/8/25/17780294/cubs-daniel-murphy-trade-homophobia-non-apology-blechhhh

The subheading reads "Murphy has shown no remorse for his homophobic comments, and the Cubs have shown no remorse for adding him to the team." 

What should Murphy be remorseful for?  Being a Christian and responding to the question with Christian doctrine?   IIRC it was fairly well known that Murphy was a devout Christian when they asked him the question and they got the answer they wanted.  I'd understand the outcry if he went off, called Bean a "f*g", and said that he was going to burn in hell.  But Murphy pretty much did the opposite of this.  And I'm pretty sure that there is something in the New Testament where the followers of Jesus are told to be "bold" (or something similar to that) in their faith so a devout Christian like Murphy couldn't just brush off the question.  When pressed, he recited the teachings of Christ so I guess he should apologize for that, for some reason.  You'd get the same answer from any devout believer of the three Abrahamic faiths.

I'm not understanding the problem that people have with what Murphy said and why they're reacting the way that they are.  I hate to go all Fox News-tier rhetoric here but it just seems like an anti-Christian thing cloaked under the guise of moral outrage.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30: August 26, 2018, 11:17:02 PM »
Because Murphy implied it was a “lifestyle” that people choose to engage in. It’s insulting to many LGBTQ who don’t see it as a choice.
It’s as if he said he didn’t agree with the “Black Lifestyle” or the “Asian Lifestyle.”
People couch all types of bigotry behind their Christianity. But the Christianity I practiced doesn’t involve judging people for who they are.

Here’s the beginning of Murphy’s quote:

“I disagree with his lifestyle,” Murphy said. “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual.”

How can you disagree with who the guy is? Substitute any other group there and think about it.

Look, I don’t expect to be able to convince anyone here that doesn’t get it already, but the fact of the matter is, is that Murphy didn’t have to say anything.  He could have said, “Billy Bean is a good guy and he had interesting things to say.”  And it would have been a non-story. But he didn’t say that. It’s his right, but he said what he did for a reason. And there is nothing wrong with holding him accountable for that.

I can’t imagine it would be going great for a baseball player if he had said, “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a Christian” or “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is an American” or “I do disagree with Billy being White”

Like I said, I like Daniel Murphy. But this is one thing that, in the general accounting of things, makes me like him a bit less.

Side note: can someone give me a quote where Jesus (and not some other person) addresses homosexuality? Since this is such a pillar of Christian teaching?

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #31: August 27, 2018, 12:28:02 AM »
Because Murphy implied it was a “lifestyle” that people choose to engage in. It’s insulting to many LGBTQ who don’t see it as a choice.
It’s as if he said he didn’t agree with the “Black Lifestyle” or the “Asian Lifestyle.”
People couch all types of bigotry behind their Christianity. But the Christianity I practiced doesn’t involve judging people for who they are.

The difference is that a Black or Asian "lifestyle" isn't explicitly considered a sin in the Bible.  You can't equate that with homosexuality, a lifestyle that is, at the very least, frowned upon in the Bible.  I read the thread and I agree that he worded the "I disagree with the fact that he's a homosexuality" line terribly but that's why he's a baseball player and not a pastor, because it does imply that Bean had a say in the manner. 

But his terrible phrasing doesn't discount what his main message was, which was that he may not view a homosexual lifestyle as Biblical (the emphasis is necessary here, I think, since IIRC it's the act that's the sin, hence the lifestyle comment, and it's not a sin to merely be a homosexual) but he'll still embrace him and respect him as a human being.  People getting mad at Murphy for the comment are essentially telling him to not live his faith when said faith is supposed to come first in one's life if they are truly devout, which Murphy seems to be.

And I do see the problem in that interpretation, since it's essentially telling homosexuals to not act on their impulses, it creates a living hell for them and it would be like telling a heterosexual to not seek relations with women.  But sadly, one thing that people need to accept is that the doctrines of the Abrahamic faiths (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) just aren't supportive of homosexual acts and it would be a stretch to honestly interpret them otherwise.  That's just the reality of the situation.  Homosexual acts (hence Murphy's comments about the "lifestyle") are condemned in Leviticus in the Old Testament and Corinthians (6: 9-11) in the New Testament:

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

John 8:11-12 is perhaps the best way to explain all of this.  When Christ encountered an adulterer, he didn't immediately condemn her to hell.  Instead he forgave her and told her to "go and sin no more."  He loved the sinner and not the sin and forgave her of said sin.  That's pretty much what Murphy tried to articulate in his comments.

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #33: August 27, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »
Getting back on topic. Cubs are 5-0 since Murph joined he team and is batting .391 with 2 HR's. I miss him and his professional approach to the game. He even admitted screwing up two plays in one of his last games with the Nats without resorting to the usual cliches. Imagine that a player taking responsibility.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #34: August 27, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
I’m  crossing my fingers that the PTBNL in this deal makes it worthwhile.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: August 27, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »
Getting back on topic. Cubs are 5-0 since Murph joined he team and is batting .391 with 2 HR's. I miss him and his professional approach to the game. He even admitted screwing up two plays in one of his last games with the Nats without resorting to the usual cliches. Imagine that a player taking responsibility.
I miss Murph. Glad he is having success with the Cubs. Will be wearing my Murphy T-shirt when they play this postseason.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: August 31, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
Braves’ organists plays Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” for Murphy’s at bats.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #37: August 31, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »

Some people just can't keep it in their pants.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #38: August 31, 2018, 11:21:22 AM »
I lol'd :shrug:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #39: August 31, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
that is pretty funny.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #40: August 31, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Yep that was hysterical. But does this mean we can opinionify on the subject matter now?  :mg:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #41: August 31, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »
 :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #42: August 31, 2018, 01:19:50 PM »
I think playing that tune pretty much summed it up for most of us.

Yep that was hysterical. But does this mean we can opinionify on the subject matter now?  :mg:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #43: August 31, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
It's ridiculous to characterize a fairly common religious belief as homophobic.  Ryan Church said that all us Jews were going to hell. I wasn't offended and didn't take it as an antisemitic remark.  It's what he believes. (Or believed.) He's entitled to his religious beliefs, as Murphy is, as you are, and and as I am.

Actually, that's what the team minister told Ryan, correct?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #44: August 31, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »
Actually, that's what the team minister told Ryan, correct?

I thought it was an invited speaker or something. Some prayer meeting leader. But I could be mis-remembering. And the article said Church questioned it.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #45: August 31, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
I thought it was an invited speaker or something. Some prayer meeting leader. But I could be mis-remembering. And the article said Church questioned it.

Turned out that the Nats like a lot of mlb teams at the time had a team chaplain which was who my man crush Church was consulting for spiritual guidance on who and who doesn’t go to heaven. Once Church’s query came to light mlb ended the chaplain program. Most likely because Selig is Jewish.  :couch:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #46: August 31, 2018, 02:06:53 PM »
Or because of crappy dogma.

Turned out that the Nats like a lot of mlb teams at the time had a team chaplain which was who my man crush Church was consulting for spiritual guidance on who and who doesn’t go to heaven. Once Church’s query came to light mlb ended the chaplain program. Most likely because Selig is Jewish.  :couch:

Offline blue911

« Reply #47: August 31, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »

I think Fick and Young saw a rasta chaplain.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #48: August 31, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
I think Fick and Young saw a rasta chaplain.
I hope it was this one.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #49: August 31, 2018, 02:29:17 PM »
Or because of crappy dogma.

Repent and believe.  :rites: