Author Topic: Daniel Murphy & Cubs Fans Reaction to Him  (Read 2542 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Daniel Murphy & Cubs Fans Reaction to Him
« Topic Start: August 24, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
Some Cubs fans not happy over Murphy’s comments a few years ago on gays:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-daniel-murphy-sullivan-20180823-story.html

Offline UMDNats

Re: Re: Daniel Murphy Traded to Cubs
« Reply #1: August 24, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-daniel-murphy-sullivan-20180823-story.html

as much as i was appalled by murphy's comments and though they were ignorant, he is free to choose what he believes. he's far from the only MLB player to think that way. it was in the back of my mind when he came to DC but ultimately i'm not going to protest the team because they had him on the roster. he showed a willingness to open his mind and that's all anyone can ask.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #2: August 24, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »

Unbelievable that they would dig up that dirt on him. His behavior the past three years has been exemplary.  He happens to be a holy roller, but he doesn't project it (except for an occasional Jesus song on walk up).  I don't hold it against him, but holy rollers basically don't like homosexuality.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: August 24, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »
Unbelievable that they would dig up that dirt on him. His behavior the past three years has been exemplary.  He happens to be a holy roller, but he doesn't project it (except for an occasional Jesus song on walk up).  I don't hold it against him, but holy rollers basically don't like homosexuality.
It's unbelievable that they would dig up homophobic comments he made earlier in his life? Have you not paid attention the last year and change?

Offline Expos

« Reply #4: August 24, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »
as much as i was appalled by murphy's comments and though they were ignorant, he is free to choose what he believes. he's far from the only MLB player to think that way. it was in the back of my mind when he came to DC but ultimately i'm not going to protest the team because they had him on the roster. he showed a willingness to open his mind and that's all anyone can ask.

How were his comments ignorant? I hate that statement. You were appalled at him not agreeing with a lifestyle?? Really? People are just supposed to be tolerant now to everything just because?? I dont get it.

He didn't say anything bad or offensive. He simply said he doesnt agree with someones lifestyle.

Can someone please explain to me how that can possibly offend someone?? If someone said to me personally or a star athlete said they didn't agree with me being a straight male I wouldn't give two cents of a worry. Who cares what Daniel Murphy thinks or believes??

Its that whole liberal political correctness garbage that is getting out of control. 'SOME' (just to be safe) Gay people, Christians, vegans and whoever else are simply not happy living their own life. They need to convince everyone else that what they are doing is acceptable and their way of living is the only way and it pushes guys like me to resent their behavior when I didn't care about it In the first place.

I dont care what anyone else does but if you try to push your beliefs down my throat it wont end well.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: August 24, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
How were his comments ignorant? I hate that statement. You were appalled at him not agreeing with a lifestyle?? Really? People are just supposed to be tolerant now to everything just because?? I dont get it.

This will inevitably end up in Uncensored, but he basically said being gay was a choice and that homosexuals are choosing that lifestyle, a statement that I 100% disagree with and know some gay people who would be offended by the idea that this is all just a choice they made for whatever reason. It's just kind of demeaning.

He could have said, "You know, I don't know much about gay culture and don't know Billy, but enjoyed listening to him today. I'd like to get to know him and learn about him." (he said about half of this, so again, it wasn't THAT bad)

But he's free to do whatever he wants.

It's not about being politically correct, it's just like, what if he said about a hispanic guy, "I don't agree with his lifestyle." ? Like c'mon, Daniel.

But overall I thought his comments weren't THAT bad (I was shocked he vocalized it) and he's seem to have an open mind about the whole process, so at this point, it's a non-story.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: August 24, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
This will inevitably end up in Uncensored, but he basically said being gay was a choice and that homosexuals are choosing that lifestyle, a statement that I 100% disagree with. He could have said, "You know, I don't know much about gay culture and don't know Billy, but enjoyed listening to him today. I'd like to get to know him and learn about him." But he's free to do whatever he wants.

But overall I thought his comments weren't THAT bad (I was shocked he vocalized it) and he's seem to have an open mind about the whole process, so at this point, it's a non-story.

It was an odd statement back then, and it still looks odd now: he didn't explicitly say that he thought being gay was a choice, but he said he "disagreed" with the "lifestyle" without actually saying what the actual behavior was that he disagreed with.   I recall him just coming off looking like a moron, rather than much of anything else. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: August 24, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »
It was an odd statement back then, and it still looks odd now: he didn't explicitly say that he thought being gay was a choice, but he said he "disagreed" with the "lifestyle" without actually saying what the "lifestyle" was he disagreed with.  I recall him just coming off looking like a moron, rather than much of anything else. 

Right, it just sounds like an ignorant/dumb statement overall. I don't think he's any kind of homophobe or anything, he just sounds like a kind of an idiot.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #8: August 24, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
See ball, hit ball.   And I don't mean that in a gay way....not that there's anything wrong with that.   That's all I care about with Daniel Murphy.   Same thing with pitchers and catchers.  The only ones I care about are on the baseball diamond. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: August 24, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
Murphy just hit a 2 run home run and got a curtain call.  All is good in Chi-town.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #10: August 24, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »
It's unbelievable that they would dig up homophobic comments he made earlier in his life? Have you not paid attention the last year and change?
It's ridiculous to characterize a fairly common religious belief as homophobic.  Ryan Church said that all us Jews were going to hell. I wasn't offended and didn't take it as an antisemitic remark.  It's what he believes. (Or believed.) He's entitled to his religious beliefs, as Murphy is, as you are, and and as I am.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #11: August 24, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
It's ridiculous to characterize a fairly common religious belief as homophobic.  Ryan Church said that all us Jews were going to hell. I wasn't offended and didn't take it as an antisemitic remark.  It's what he believes. (Or believed.) He's entitled to his religious beliefs, as Murphy is, as you are, and and as I am.

:worship:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: August 24, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »

It’s unclear to me that anyone said he’s not allowed to have the belief. But people are allowed not to like him for it. I like Murphy. But he was never going to be my favorite player because of those comments. And I’m sure he’s OK with that 😉.

Everyone can believe what they want.  Doesn’t mean you have to say it out loud and it doesn’t mean that some people won’t like it when you do. That’s their right too.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #13: August 24, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
Right, it just sounds like an ignorant/dumb statement overall. I don't think he's any kind of homophobe or anything, he just sounds like a kind of an idiot.

It's no different than someone saying they don't like broccoli.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #14: August 24, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »

Depends if that someone has tried broccoli, doesn't it?

Sorry, just couldn't pass up the chance to give many people unpleasant mental images and associations.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #15: August 24, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
Depends if that someone has tried broccoli, doesn't it?

Not really. I’ve never tried beef tongue because I know I won’t like it. :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #16: August 24, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #17: August 24, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »

It’s why I referenced broccoli. ;)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #18: August 24, 2018, 07:31:38 PM »

I suspect that would be Murphy's position on this one, as it would most straight people's.  But that kinda highlights the issue with the analogy: the fact that I have no interest in beef tongue doesn't mean I speak out to disapprove of the "lifestyle" of eating beef tongue. 

It's all kinda silly, though.  Murphy did pretty much all can ever be asked of someone: he stated his honestly held views in a nuanced and at least reasonably respectful manner.  I don't agree with him, but then again I'm a pretty disagreeable person.  I don't like his views, but I have a hard time faulting the guy for expressing them or the way he expressed them.  People like different things and have views on things that should or shouldn't be allowed or encouraged.  I find the fascination with what other people do in their private lives a bit weird, but then again I find a lot of things a bit weird.    Good hitter, though.  I liked that.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #19: August 24, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
It’s why I referenced broccoli. ;)

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste you must be old.    :old:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #20: August 24, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste you must be old.    :old:

Not as old as you.  :hysterical:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #21: August 24, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
I suspect that would be Murphy's position on this one, as it would most straight people's.  But that kinda highlights the issue with the analogy: the fact that I have no interest in beef tongue doesn't mean I speak out to disapprove of the "lifestyle" of eating beef tongue. 

It's all kinda silly, though.  Murphy did pretty much all can ever be asked of someone: he stated his honestly held views in a nuanced and at least reasonably respectful manner.  I don't agree with him, but then again I'm a pretty disagreeable person.  I don't like his views, but I have a hard time faulting the guy for expressing them or the way he expressed them.  People like different things and have views on things that should or shouldn't be allowed or encouraged.  I find the fascination with what other people do in their private lives a bit weird, but then again I find a lot of things a bit weird.    Good hitter, though.  I liked that.

:clap:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: August 24, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
Not as old as you.  :hysterical:

Well, that is true.    :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: August 24, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »

This is so obvious a troll attempt. Even you are usually better at it than this.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #24: August 24, 2018, 08:00:54 PM »
This is so obvious a troll attempt. Even you are usually better at it than this.

I *used* to be a Chevy guy and didn’t like Fords. Does that make me ignorant?