Author Topic: Daniel Murphy & Cubs Fans Reaction to Him  (Read 2571 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Daniel Murphy & Cubs Fans Reaction to Him
« Reply #25: August 26, 2018, 11:17:02 PM »
Because Murphy implied it was a “lifestyle” that people choose to engage in. It’s insulting to many LGBTQ who don’t see it as a choice.
It’s as if he said he didn’t agree with the “Black Lifestyle” or the “Asian Lifestyle.”
People couch all types of bigotry behind their Christianity. But the Christianity I practiced doesn’t involve judging people for who they are.

Here’s the beginning of Murphy’s quote:

“I disagree with his lifestyle,” Murphy said. “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual.”

How can you disagree with who the guy is? Substitute any other group there and think about it.

Look, I don’t expect to be able to convince anyone here that doesn’t get it already, but the fact of the matter is, is that Murphy didn’t have to say anything.  He could have said, “Billy Bean is a good guy and he had interesting things to say.”  And it would have been a non-story. But he didn’t say that. It’s his right, but he said what he did for a reason. And there is nothing wrong with holding him accountable for that.

I can’t imagine it would be going great for a baseball player if he had said, “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a Christian” or “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is an American” or “I do disagree with Billy being White”

Like I said, I like Daniel Murphy. But this is one thing that, in the general accounting of things, makes me like him a bit less.

Side note: can someone give me a quote where Jesus (and not some other person) addresses homosexuality? Since this is such a pillar of Christian teaching?