Author Topic: Scherzer and the Pacifists  (Read 1156 times)

Offline rileyn

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Scherzer and the Pacifists
« Reply #1: August 24, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
The times is still around, who knew

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: August 24, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #3: August 24, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
I believe Loverro is due back with Andy Pollin tomorrow on 106.7 at 9 AM.    Once they finish a 2 hour recap of the 'skins' pre-season game :smh:, they may discuss this article.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #4: August 24, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/23/max-scherzer-warrior-he-cant-fight-alone/

Wow, Loverro shreds Max's teammates.

Rightfully so.  They're dogcrap.  I've never hated a team more than the 2018 Nationals.  Scherzer is the only player who has consistently brought it.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #5: August 24, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »
Rightfully so.  They're dogcrap.  I've never hated a team more than the 2018 Nationals.  Scherzer is the only player who has consistently brought it.

Didn’t read the article. But I guess I’m a pacifist.

Hate is a strong word. Really over the top for sports. Just a game. Keep that in mind.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #6: August 24, 2018, 08:39:25 PM »
Not the only one. Murph and Eaton are as intense as Scherzerand possibly Doo. No one else stands out.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: August 24, 2018, 08:44:19 PM »
Not the only one. Murph and Eaton are as intense as Scherzerand possibly Doo. No one else stands out.

By the time they were both here, the season was already over

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #8: August 24, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »
By the time they were both here, the season was already over
True dat

Offline Bloo

« Reply #9: August 24, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »
They should make him a Babe Ruth type player and have him play a fielding position in-between starts. That would be epic.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #10: August 25, 2018, 04:45:02 AM »
That's complete BS.  Just because Scherzer wears it on his sleeves and other have different personalities doesn't mean others are not in it completely.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #11: August 25, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »
That's complete BS.  Just because Scherzer wears it on his sleeves and other have different personalities doesn't mean others are not in it completely.

Well there is something at work with this franchise.  Ever since game the collapse in game 5 of the 2012 NLDS, we have been pegged with a reputation around the league as soft.  The Giants, Cardinals, and Cubs revel in pointing it out.  If the shoe fits........

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #12: August 25, 2018, 05:57:02 AM »
That's a rationalization if I ever heard one - finding a fake reason for something that occurred.  I'd have to see some evidence on that to believe it.  I know Boswell has been critical of the Nats, but players lacking desire is another matter.

Well there is something at work with this franchise.  Ever since game the collapse in game 5 of the 2012 NLDS, we have been pegged with a reputation around the league as soft.  The Giants, Cardinals, and Cubs revel in pointing it out.  If the shoe fits........

Offline rileyn

« Reply #13: August 25, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
That's a rationalization if I ever heard one - finding a fake reason for something that occurred.  I'd have to see some evidence on that to believe it.  I know Boswell has been critical of the Nats, but players lacking desire is another matter.

I'm not saying they lack desire (although if last night was the first baseball game I ever saw I would think that).  They lack grit.  They don't collectively bear down and raise their level when the situation demands it.  Talent - yes.  Grit - no.  That is a formula for regular season success and playoff failure.

Tim Hudson for SF called us out before the 2014 series, saying we had nothing between our legs, then they went out beat us.  Two years earlier they sat on the tarmac ready to depart for Washington to play us in the 2012 NLCS, only to see us blow a 6-0 lead, and then get diverted to St. Louis.  The pictures of them on the plane are all you need to see.  The Cardinals and Giants have always viewed us as full of ourselves considering we have never won a playoff series.  The Cubs totally emasculated Ryan Zimmerman by walking Bryce Harper 16 times in a May series in Chicago - a successful strategy that also seemed to throw Bryce into a tailspin.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: August 25, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I'm not saying they lack desire (although if last night was the first baseball game I ever saw I would think that).  They lack grit.  They don't collectively bear down and raise their level when the situation demands it.  Talent - yes.  Grit - no.  That is a formula for regular season success and playoff failure.

Tim Hudson for SF called us out before the 2014 series, saying we had nothing between our legs, then they went out beat us.  Two years earlier they sat on the tarmac ready to depart for Washington to play us in the 2012 NLCS, only to see us blow a 6-0 lead, and then get diverted to St. Louis.  The pictures of them on the plane are all you need to see.  The Cardinals and Giants have always viewed us as full of ourselves considering we have never won a playoff series.  The Cubs totally emasculated Ryan Zimmerman by walking Bryce Harper 16 times in a May series in Chicago - a successful strategy that also seemed to throw Bryce into a tailspin.
But those were playoffs. I don’t think lack of grit explains this year. Injuries. Off seasons for some guys. A new manager who seems in over his head. Somehow the same guys without grit won a bunch of games last year.
All of these same things were bandied about for the Caps before last May/June.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: August 25, 2018, 08:36:01 AM »
But those were playoffs. I don’t think lack of grit explains this year. Injuries. Off seasons for some guys. A new manager who seems in over his head. Somehow the same guys without grit won a bunch of games last year.
All of these same things were bandied about for the Caps before last May/June.

A lot of that was "true" for the Caps.    They got a breath of air (success and some luck) and winning breeds confidence.    They beat Columbus under trying circumstances.   That's where the confidence really started.    They beat Pittsburgh.      They "got on a roll".   They weren't "gonna be freakin' suck".     The Nats haven't seen "a roll" all year.      We begin to look good and "boom", something goes wrong.     A lot of that was the players and/or dave's fault (self inflicted).      That beats the crap out of your confidence in any walk of life.    I don't think it's a lack of guts or grit.    They simply look "tired"/beaten.

Among many things, they desperately need a leader.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: August 25, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
A lot of that was "true" for the Caps.    They got a breath of air (success and some luck) and winning breeds confidence.    They beat Columbus under trying circumstances.   That's where the confidence really started.    They beat Pittsburgh.      They "got on a roll".   They weren't "gonna be freakin' suck".     The Nats haven't seen "a roll" all year.      We begin to look good and "boom", something goes wrong.     A lot of that was the players and/or dave's fault (self inflicted).      That beats the crap out of your confidence in any walk of life.    I don't think it's a lack of guts or grit.    They simply look "tired"/beaten.

Among many things, they desperately need a leader.
Yes. Zimm is not a leader. Not Harper. Not Rendon. I suppose Max but tough for a pitcher.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #17: August 25, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
All this could be a non issue if they just hire Papelbon as a motivational coach.
Don't like the way Gio is pitching tell coach Pap to come to the top of the steps and glare

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: August 25, 2018, 10:43:30 AM »
Yes. Zimm is not a leader. Not Harper. Not Rendon. I suppose Max but tough for a pitcher.

I was doin' my walk about and goin' through the lineup thinkin' about "leadership".    I agree with Zim, Harper, Rendon  ...  Eaton tries but he's played 90 games (so far) in two years.    Soto, Turner and Difo are young.    Michael A. Taylor  ...  it ain't who he is.    You're right also about Scherzer.     So, let's look to the manager   ....   nevermind.

I'll take my ponderin' to the pool.    :)

BTW   The title of this thread sounds like a 60's rock band.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #19: August 25, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
I was doin' my walk about and was goin' through the lineup thinkin' about "leadership".    I agree with Zim, Harper, Rendon  ...  Eaton tries but he's played 90 games (so far) in two years.    Soto, Turner and Difo are young.    Michael A. Taylor  ...  it ain't who he is.    You're right also about Scherzer.     So, let's look to the manager   ....   nevermind.
Maybe FP? He can manage from the booth.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #20: August 25, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »
I was doin' my walk about and goin' through the lineup thinkin' about "leadership".    I agree with Zim, Harper, Rendon  ...  Eaton tries but he's played 90 games (so far) in two years.    Soto, Turner and Difo are young.    Michael A. Taylor  ...  it ain't who he is.    You're right also about Scherzer.     So, let's look to the manager   ....   nevermind.

I'll take my ponderin' to the pool.    :)

BTW   The title of this thread sounds like a 60's rock band.

I actually think once Harper departs this offseason, we will see more guys step forward to try to lead.  You mentioned Eaton and I would agree that he seems to be the most likely, but I also think Turner has to assume some of it.  He is the shortstop - he can't be passive. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: August 25, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »
All this could be a non issue if they just hire Papelbon as a motivational coach.
Don't like the way Gio is pitching tell coach Pap to come to the top of the steps and glare

Slap Happy Pappy can tag team with Ray Lewis.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #22: August 25, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
The current Nationals are a reflection of Bryce "Wheres my ring" Harper. Completely self entitled.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #23: August 25, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
Didn't Gio show some "grit" last night after that line drive off his foot ?  Your claim is too much of a generalization to mean anything.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #24: August 25, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
Slap Happy Pappy can tag team with Ray Lewis.

:)
Won't  be any bases loaded with no outs and zero runs scored; that's  a certainty