Author Topic: Daniel Murphy Traded to Cubs  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Daniel Murphy Traded to Cubs
« Reply #100: August 21, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »
Murph is in the top 250 in since 1960, but he isn't the best at all.  He has had several very good years, but was average before that.  Someone like Ichiru or Pete Rose who did it every day for 15+ years were way better than Murph in his best year.

Before this gets analyzed to death on WNFF, I think he might have meant Murphy is the best hitter in a Washington uniform since 1960?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #101: August 21, 2018, 10:21:04 PM »
LOL I always thought of him as a very lovable but very dumb bunny for some reason :lol:

Well, I've never heard him deeply analyze the philosophical evolution of man's place in the universe or anything, but he always came across as really smart when talking baseball.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #102: August 21, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
You've really seen people posting that stupid crap?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #103: August 21, 2018, 10:38:04 PM »
You've really seen people posting that stupid crap?

Yes, indeed. Even one of my ticket partners just quit because of the trade today.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #104: August 21, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
Yes, indeed. Even one of my ticket partners just quit because of the trade today.

that's just dumb, they're individual player fans then

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #105: August 21, 2018, 10:58:34 PM »

I just think some fans are disappointed in not only this season but the fact that they might not sign Harper and not be as competitive next season. Fair weather fans are like that. I've been through this before with my tickets groups. Then they come out of the woodwork after the first of the year when they start thinking about baseball again. Or maybe next season if they're good again. Whatever. I don't let people like that back in my groups.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #106: August 22, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
Murphy was very popular with fans. Emotional reactions to his beING traded for a handful of beans is expected and understandable

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107: August 22, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »

You realize that’s allowed, right?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #108: August 22, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »
Murphy was very popular with fans. Emotional reactions to his beING traded for a handful of beans is expected and understandable

Emotion is not allowed on WNFF. Posters here are way too smart for that.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #109: August 22, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »
He won't get much on the FA market. Nats could always try to re-sign him, especially since he loves Davy so much.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #110: August 22, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
Before this gets analyzed to death on WNFF, I think he might have meant Murphy is the best hitter in a Washington uniform since 1960?
That's how I took it, and Murphy is clearly the best hitter  we've had here since 1960, by far. However there was nobody of note in particular who showed up in 1960.  You'd need to go as far back as Mickey Vernon - 1955.

Edit - broke off discussion of Cubs fans reaction to Murphy into a separate thread in the Out of Town Scoreboad.  JCA

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #111: August 31, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
Here’s a look at the 4 players the Cubs are sending to AFL. Our PTBNL for the Murphy deal is likely one of these four. Before you get your hopes up, the catcher prospect profiles as a backup, not a MLB starter. So hopefully it’s one of the other three.

https://www.bleachernation.com/2018/08/31/cubs-minor-league-daily-surveying-the-cubs-arizona-fall-league-prospects/