Author Topic: The Lerner's the new "Snyder?"  (Read 1705 times)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: The Lerner's the new "Snyder?"
« Reply #25: August 17, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
What the are Nats being shorted on right now, or over the last 6 seasons?  10 years ago, the Lerners were absolutely cheapskates, but that was most likely because of 1) not really knowing any better and 2) letting Stan Kasten run the show.  They do exert too much influence over management hires, and no one knows why they feel it's fine to spend $195 million on players but want a bargain basement manager to run the show.  The Davey Disaster this season might show them the light on that mistake, but they're not sparing any expenses on players, facilities, etc.

Snyder has driven the Redskins into the ground because he's a dumbass who, after 20 years, still runs the Redskins like a poorly informed fan would. 

Kasten wanted to spend more (see the Dodgers), what changed was the CBA no longer allowed large market teams to profit from revenue sharing and a low payroll.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #26: August 17, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »
The Nationals have the #5 payroll in baseball according to Spotrac. Rizzo is far from a small market budget.

#2 payroll based on AAV.. Like Snyder they pay a ton in salary, squeeze the fans for every penny, fire managers way too often, and get involved in major roster decisions. Unlike Snyder they are publicity shy.

Offline blue911

« Reply #27: August 17, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »

Count, your majesty, sir:
I am not sure how long the Lerners have to go to  Snyderize this team; maybe they are already there.  I never cared for Jim Bowden but when he left he said the problem  with the Lerners is they run a baseball team like it was a shopping mall. Enough has gone on to make me believe they did and still are. Need proof, just look at the current manager who is a neophyte placed in charge of a veteran team because he had the right price tag. The bullpen has been a mess one season after another  maybe because it is considered nothing but a low budget tenant with a revolving lease.

Right. They will spend money on what they deem important and cheap out if they don't. They basically gave away Nick Pivetta and Felipe Rivero (now Felipe Vazquez) because they didn't want to add a comparatively small increase in payroll. The Pirate had wanted Hearn for 4 years before the Melancon trade and the Phillies were desperate to dump Papelbon and his contract. They would have given him away to a team that took both.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: August 17, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
Right. They will spend money on what they deem important and cheap out if they don't. They basically gave away Nick Pivetta and Felipe Rivero (now Felipe Vazquez) because they didn't want to add a comparatively small increase in payroll. The Pirate had wanted Hearn for 4 years before the Melancon trade and the Phillies were desperate to dump Papelbon and his contract. They would have given him away to a team that took both.

Jesus, I totally forgot about Felipe Rivero/Vazquez being the price for Melancon's contract.  That was a terrible trade.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: August 17, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
What the are Nats being shorted on right now, or over the last 6 seasons?  10 years ago, the Lerners were absolutely cheapskates, but that was most likely because of 1) not really knowing any better and 2) letting Stan Kasten run the show.  They do exert too much influence over management hires, and no one knows why they feel it's fine to spend $195 million on players but want a bargain basement manager to run the show.  The Davey Disaster this season might show them the light on that mistake, but they're not sparing any expenses on players, facilities, etc.

Snyder has driven the Redskins into the ground because he's a dumbass who, after 20 years, still runs the Redskins like a poorly informed fan would. 

They’re reportedly paying their manager the same as the Red Sox pay theirs.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #30: August 17, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Well I'm more than a little biased from seeing how upset my friend was over the article, she was on the front of USA Today and no reporter contacted her.

Of course, she sounds like she had a good reason to be upset.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #31: August 17, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »
You are confusing payroll with budget.
Please explain a distinction where Rizzo has the #5 payroll in baseball but has a low budget. If the Nats told Rizzo he could spend X dollars in 2018 and then he ran up the payroll and other expenses up against it then it is not the Lerner's job to raise the budget.

I would like if Rizzo had an unlimited budget, but that isn't how the world works.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #32: August 17, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
Please explain a distinction where Rizzo has the #5 payroll in baseball but has a low budget. If the Nats told Rizzo he could spend X dollars in 2018 and then he ran up the payroll and other expenses up against it then it is not the Lerner's job to raise the budget.

I would like if Rizzo had an unlimited budget, but that isn't how the world works.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #33: August 17, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
This really is a silly post. This question is only asked because the Nationals are losing. When the Nationals are playing well certain posters disappear and don't say negative crap because them playing well shuts haters up. Three or so years ago people were whining the Lerners weren't spending money. They spent money on Sch, Werth etc. (whether you like the player or not) they showed that they were willing to do it. So compare that to the pirates owner. Nationals had a good run. It just so happens they aren't having a good year. So you guys wanna point fingers now and say "Learner is cheap" blah blah. Bringing up on bull.

One week it's rizzo is a "godsend" for making a great trade. The next week it's "rizzo should have been gone". While they are struggling they just have to keep making moves and try to figure things out. This post and the amount of bandwagon fans on here proves how fans from Philly, Chicago, NY consider DC a bandwagon town and not real fans. Oh the Nationals don't spend money, but hey making the playoffs consistently over the padres or pirates means nothing. The nationals atleast willing to spend doesn't mean anything to me. Yada and Yada. When the Nats making decent moves (if) in the offseason everybody is then excited again and bowing down to the lerners lol.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #34: August 17, 2018, 11:10:52 AM »
Least I upset any owners advocacy groups out there, let me state I recognize it is an ownership family's  right to do with their franchise as they please.

However, are the Lerners ruining this franchise in the stupid bull headed manner in which Little Danny Snyder has ruined the Redskins?

Seems they are but just asking
Then stop watching them.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #35: August 17, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
One week it's rizzo is a "godsend" for making a great trade.

That hasn't been true for about the last 200 weeks.

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: August 17, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »

I explained that in my first post.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #37: August 17, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
That hasn't been true for about the last 200 weeks.
I'm taking a word a poster said on here. Your pretty much saying that because that Nats are winning. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #38: August 17, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
The Lerners are willing to spend but I would prefer they leave baseball decisions to Rizzo who is as good as anybody in baseball as a GM. Anyway, the Nats were a losing team when they bought the team and only a couple of teams have won as many games during the regular season as the Nats since 2012.

Danny used to be horrible. He treated the team like a toy, got too close to some of the players, let Vinny ruin the team because it was fun for him and thought he could just throw money at the team and it would win. The last few years it seems he's learned his lesson and lets the football people make the decisions and parked redskin 1. Once you get a reputation it's hard to shake though. He cost redskin fans a lot of years of enjoyment.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: August 17, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
The Lerners are willing to spend but I would prefer they leave baseball decisions to Rizzo who is as good as anybody in baseball as a GM. Anyway, the Nats were a losing team when they bought the team and only a couple of teams have won as many games during the regular season as the Nats since 2012.

Danny used to be horrible. He treated the team like a toy, got too close to some of the players, let Vinny ruin the team because it was fun for him and thought he could just throw money at the team and it would win. The last few years it seems he's learned his lesson and lets the football people make the decisions and parked redskin 1. Once you get a reputation it's hard to shake though. He cost redskin fans a lot of years of enjoyment.
Yea but they hired an alcoholic GM and the fired him for having a drinking problem.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #40: August 17, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Yea but they hired an alcoholic GM and the fired him for having a drinking problem.

As opposed to hiring an old school manager and letting him go for not employing more modern analytics?

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #41: August 17, 2018, 12:35:45 PM »
That's the past. You focus on the future now. And hopefully Kyle Smith can turn it around. Don't get back on the wagon if or when the skins starting putting up W's.

https://riggosrag.com/2018/05/10/washington-redskins-could-promote-kyle-smith-to-general-manager/

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #42: August 17, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
As opposed to hiring an old school manager and letting him go for not employing more modern analytics?
Old school manager? It's 2018 it's younger gm's and head coaches that are being hired in today's sports (baseball, and football).

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: August 17, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »
That's the past. You focus on the future now. And hopefully Kyle Smith can turn it around. Don't get back on the wagon if or when the skins starting putting up W's.

https://riggosrag.com/2018/05/10/washington-redskins-could-promote-kyle-smith-to-general-manager/
I’m an Eagles fan. The whole way they handled the Cousins thing was great. And now they have slightly above average Alex Smith for a couple years. Brilliant!

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #44: August 17, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

There will ever never be any reason to get back "on the wagon" while Snyder owns the team. Allen is just a cover, a front man; the present Vinny Cerrato is all he is.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: August 17, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »

They can add the other Smith to the other Allen and the other Gruden - quite the collection of not quite as good as their family members hires

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: August 17, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »

There will ever never be any reason to get back "on the wagon" while Snyder owns the team. Allen is just a cover, a front man; the present Vinny Cerrato is all he is.
Son is a big Skins fan but doesn’t remember the glory years. He was the first to congratulate me when the Eagles won so actually hoping the Redskins can be good again for his sake. Eventually it will happen. Even with a bad owner.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #47: August 17, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »

Other than the Cousins situation, the team few years has been stable. Gruden has had front office support, they've invested in both lines, and I am of the opinion the Skins had a good squad last year but had the worst injury situation in the NFL. When you factor in the newfound stability of a long term contract QB and you can see the outlines of a stable NFL franchise on the field. Need to get a lot better, but better than the Zorn and Shanahan years.

When they start 0-2, I'll have a panic attack. Until then, I've mentally moved onto Redskins season after the past week. Hoping to be given reason to go back.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: August 17, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
Other than the Cousins situation, the team few years has been stable. Gruden has had front office support, they've invested in both lines, and I am of the opinion the Skins had a good squad last year but had the worst injury situation in the NFL. When you factor in the newfound stability of a long term contract QB and you can see the outlines of a stable NFL franchise on the field. Need to get a lot better, but better than the Zorn and Shanahan years.

When they start 0-2, I'll have a panic attack. Until then, I've mentally moved onto Redskins season after the past week. Hoping to be given reason to go back.

Other than the Cousins thing, there was the cheerleader thing, the gouging Richmond thing, the attacking the gm thing,  and the sua cravens thing. Still typical redskins

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #49: August 17, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »
Other than the Cousins thing, there was the cheerleader thing, the gouging Richmond thing, the attacking the gm thing,  and the sua cravens thing. Still typical redskins
I have been a sports fan long enough to not give a crap about stuff like screwing a city, drama with a GM, so on and so on. Every sports franchise does things that bother me deeply. I hate a single tax dollar goes to stadiums, I am uncomfortable with massive college stadium projects when schools are gouging regular students, and there isn't a pro or college sports team that doesn't have distressing off field scandals.

I ignore that garbage and focus on the field except for when truly awful things happen.