Author Topic: We have to face reality and then command it to let us in the Postseason  (Read 4058 times)

Offline blue911

Re: We are 9 GB, it's time to face reality
« Reply #50: August 16, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »
Sherzer reminds me a lot of Black Flag-era Henry Rollins.

nice.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #51: August 16, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
Did we just gain a game today? We did.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #53: August 17, 2018, 07:22:42 AM »
Some recognized reality way way back while the "it's early birds" were chirping away

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #54: August 17, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »
Some recognized reality way way back while the "it's early birds" were chirping away

Now that is an interesting topic for those who don’t believe.

When did you figure out that it wasn’t our year?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: August 17, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »

True. But don’t you do that every year? That’s why on here we have the SunShine Squad and the Legion of Doom. Some people are always pessimistic and others always optimistic. I like to think of myself as an optimistic pessimist. In the end things work out. Next year expectations will be low and that’s when they excel.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #56: August 17, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
Now that is an interesting topic for those who don’t believe.

When did you figure out that it wasn’t our year?

Before the All Star break it was apparent that this is a .500 team with two good teams way ahead.  Just had to do the arithmetic.  Plenty of time to sell off prior to the July deadline.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57: August 17, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
True. But don’t you do that every year? That’s why on here we have the SunShine Squad and the Legion of Doom. Some people are always pessimistic and others always optimistic. I like to think of myself as an optimistic pessimist. In the end things work out. Next year expectations will be low and that’s when they excel.

I think the “it’s early” people stopped saying that, when it stopped being, you know, early.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #58: August 17, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
:clap:
Sherzer reminds me a lot of Black Flag-era Henry Rollins.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #59: August 17, 2018, 11:17:44 PM »
Did we just gain a game today? Yes we did

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #60: August 18, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »
Stras coming back and being the Stras of last year right away is the key. And it would help if the damn pen could hold up.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #61: August 18, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
:clap:

:popcorn:
You guys really don't like optimists.  Pessimists can be as nasty, snarky, insulting as they desire, because that's seen as just being real. 

In some ways, it does fit the culture of this area.  The snarkier you can be, the smarter you must be.  It's reflected in the the names of the threads.   

At least, that's my pompous, self-righteous take on much of what I read here.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #62: August 18, 2018, 10:49:05 AM »
You guys really don't like optimists.  Pessimists can be as nasty, snarky, insulting as they desire, because that's seen as just being real. 

In some ways, it does fit the culture of this area.  The snarkier you can be, the smarter you must be.  It's reflected in the the names of the threads.   

At least, that's my pompous, self-righteous take on much of what I read here.

I don't get being pessimistic about sports. That's for real life. Maybe I understand that some people need a place to nag but man they can be a bummer on here.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63: August 18, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
It’s emotional protection for the snowflakes. They don’t want to be vulnerable to disappointment. Sports is entertainment. I’m not sure why anyone would follow it if it made them unhappy.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #64: August 18, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »
It’s emotional protection for the snowflakes. They don’t want to be vulnerable to disappointment. Sports is entertainment. I’m not sure why anyone would follow it if it made them unhappy.

I had a boss one time tell me that some people are happiest when they're unhappy.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #65: August 18, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
Pessimistic is when the Nats are in the playoffs and you assume they will lose (even though you would be correct).  When they are 8 back in the loss column to one team and 7 to another on August 18, that's just being realistic.  Only 5 back in the wild card but would need collapses from several teams--losing 3 of 4 to the Cards did not help.  If they would comeback from this it would be one for the ages.
I don't disagree.  Odds that Nats make it to the playoff are slim indeed.  I'm just talking about the tenor of the posts. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: August 18, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
People gamble when they know they don't have a good chance to win big.  It's fun to think about a big jackpot--just like it's fun thinking your team will find glory.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: August 18, 2018, 11:14:56 AM »
I don't disagree.  Odds that Nats make it to the playoff are slim indeed.  I'm just talking about the tenor of the posts.
Some people take it too seriously.  Others are just tweaking the optimists.  It's kind of fun.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: August 18, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
I had a boss one time tell me that some people are happiest when they're unhappy.

(Image removed from quote.)
People are the worst.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #69: August 18, 2018, 11:16:35 AM »
There is no thrill in victory if you don't experience  the agony of defeat.

To say it is ok to be happy when they win but not remorse when they lose seems askew of something

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #70: August 18, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »
Wouldn't say that's out of the question, not sure the Phillies pitching can hold up. Not to mention the Nats have 9 games left with the Phils, a lot could be decided among those games.

It's almost september

Offline vernon337

« Reply #71: August 18, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
Some people take it too seriously.  Others are just tweaking the optimists.  It's kind of fun.

C'mon!  The tenor of the posts I'm talking about are not just tweaking. 

It's not a big deal, and it shouldn't be.  Not gonna get upset about a fan board.  But I do wish sometimes that there could be civil discussion about the team without it turning into Rendon smiling at the wrong time, Zimmerman doing drugs, Harper/Rizzo/Lerner is (fill in the blank), and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.  The mods on here are great, and there are some who just want to discuss various aspects of the team without turning it into a pile-on. 

Offline vernon337

« Reply #72: August 18, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
There is no thrill in victory if you don't experience  the agony of defeat.

To say it is ok to be happy when they win but not remorse when they lose seems askew of something

Absolutely. 

I do find it an interesting aspect of human nature that so many fans, when their team does poorly, feel a personal anger at the players who haven't performed well and attribute their failures to lack of character rather than just an inability to perform certain athletic feats.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #73: August 18, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
I understand that it seems ridiculous for me to have faith in this team. Believing this season isn't lost yet.

I don't blame anyone for not believing. For thinking this season is a loss.

This team hasn't given you a reason to believe in them.

I just choose to believe. There is still a chance.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: August 18, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
I understand that it seems ridiculous for me to have faith in this team. Believing this season isn't lost yet.

I don't blame anyone for not believing. For thinking this season is a loss.

This team hasn't given you a reason to believe in them.

I just choose to believe. There is still a chance.
538 has it at 13% to make the playoffs; Fangraphs at 21%.  Those both seem high but there is a chance.