Author Topic: Please, just stop the season  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Ray D

Please, just stop the season
« Topic Start: August 13, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »
The remaining games should not be played.  The players and manager should be jailed without bail, on charges of being degenerate losers.  Who's with me on this?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Please, just stop the season
« Reply #1: August 13, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
I second the motion :clap:

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #2: August 13, 2018, 10:25:50 AM »
That was hard to watch, especially since I've been watching fewer games this year to save my wife from a perpetual assholish mood.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: August 13, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »
I mean, I'd kind of like to see Keiboom and Robles play in September

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4: August 13, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
Someone needs a hug.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #5: August 13, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
Having a 100 loss season is preferable to this.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: August 13, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
The remaining games should not be played.  The players and manager should be jailed without bail, on charges of being degenerate losers.  Who's with me on this?

:clap:

Sanity.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #7: August 13, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »

Something seriously needs to change about this organization.  We are the Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters.  It is embarrassing.  I agree we should just forfeit remaining games - ownership can focus on selling the team and the house can be fumigated.  The loser stink is coming out of the organization's pores.  I vote for contraction.  Maybe cricket would be a fun sport to follow.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #8: August 13, 2018, 11:25:29 AM »
That loss was a big blow. I wish there was at least a day break to recover. It's not good for the team to go to St. Louis with this over their heads.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #9: August 13, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
Maybe cricket would be a fun sport to follow.

No.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #10: August 13, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »
Maybe it's not too late to make some deals before the Aug. 31 deadline (including Harper and Murphy, who are now at peak market value).  Not sure how difficult it would given the August waiver rules.

Offline fla nat

« Reply #11: August 13, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
It's ironic that we're paying the luxury tax. I don't feel luxurious. I actually felt better about this team back in 2009 when there was no way to go but up and I could dream.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #12: August 13, 2018, 01:14:52 PM »
Maybe it's not too late to make some deals before the Aug. 31 deadline (including Harper and Murphy, who are now at peak market value).  Not sure how difficult it would given the August waiver rules.

listening to MLB radio on Saturday when I was driving they were saying Murph would draw a lot of interest from AL playoff-hopeful teams so I'm sure there is a market for him.  Of course then the Nats went ahead and the hosts were like "well there goes the Murph dream for those teams", I'm sure after last night that dream is alive and well. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #13: August 13, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »
listening to MLB radio on Saturday when I was driving they were saying Murph would draw a lot of interest from AL playoff-hopeful teams so I'm sure there is a market for him.  Of course then the Nats went ahead and the hosts were like "well there goes the Murph dream for those teams", I'm sure after last night that dream is alive and well. 
AL playoff-hopeful?  He'd have to clear waivers in the NL first.  The lowest NL playoff-hopeful team  is probably going to claim him and we'll have to deal with that team, either (1) agree to a trade, (2) let him go for nothing (salary dump), or (3) pull him back.  They are not going to offer much because if we don't agree to a trade it's either (2) or (3).  So we'd essentially be giving him away for about a fourth of his salary, a few million. Plus,  if we're  lucky, a very low-level prospect who most likely will never make the big leagues.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #14: August 13, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
AL playoff-hopeful?  He'd have to clear waivers in the NL first.  The lowest NL playoff-hopeful team  is probably going to claim him and we'll have to deal with that team, either (1) agree to a trade, (2) let him go for nothing (salary dump), or (3) pull him back.  They are not going to offer much because if we don't agree to a trade it's either (2) or (3).  So we'd essentially be giving him away for about a fourth of his salary, a few million. Plus,  if we're  lucky, a very low-level prospect who most likely will never make the big leagues.

they thought he'd pass pretty quickly through the NL since they couldn't see any team that needs him to upgrade what they already have.  And who cares what we get for him, something is better than nothing which is what we'll be left with at the end of the season and let's face it, our season is over the day the regular season ends.  I say trade Murph for what we can and let him go try to win a ring with an actual contender.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: August 13, 2018, 01:56:20 PM »
I've assumed that a QO for him if he's still here is a no brainer.  That gets us what, a 4th round pick?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #16: August 13, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
I've assumed that a QO for him if he's still here is a no brainer.  That gets us what, a 4th round pick?

Seeing how aging veterans were treated this past Spring you don't think he'd jump on QO?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #17: August 13, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »
Seeing how aging veterans were treated this past Spring you don't think he'd jump on QO?
Yes I'm thinking there won't be a QO because they don't want to pay him $19M (or whatever), and yes I think he'D take the QO.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: August 13, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
The QO is about what they paid him this year.  If he's healthy, then he's worth it and can be the bridge to Kieboom or perhaps Garcia.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #19: August 13, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »
The QO is about what they paid him this year.  If he's healthy, then he's worth it and can be the bridge to Kieboom or perhaps Garcia.
I think that'll be a lot for a guy with an injury history who will be a year older. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: August 13, 2018, 02:44:10 PM »
I'd probably roll the dice and give him a QO. Worst-case he takes it and we get 1 more year of Murph. The alternatives don't inspire me and if he's hitting to an 800 OPS as our 2B in 2019 we can probably have an abover-average offense.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: August 13, 2018, 02:44:47 PM »
I've assumed that a QO for him if he's still here is a no brainer.  That gets us what, a 4th round pick Murphy in 2019 for +/- $19MM?

FIFY

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #22: August 13, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
it could have been worse: Minor league team loses in the 9th with the bases loaded, 2 outs and 2 strikes when the pitcher throws a wild pitch, and then the catcher commits a throwing error, allowing all three runners on base to score.  To make it worse, the wild pitch was strike 3.

https://deadspin.com/minor-league-baseball-team-wins-on-a-three-run-walk-off-1828308390

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #23: August 13, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
it could have been worse: Minor league team loses in the 9th with the bases loaded, 2 outs and 2 strikes when the pitcher throws a wild pitch, and then the catcher commits a throwing error, allowing all three runners on base to score.  To make it worse, the wild pitch was strike 3.

https://deadspin.com/minor-league-baseball-team-wins-on-a-three-run-walk-off-1828308390

Are you sure that wasn't the 2017 NLDS Game 5?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #24: August 13, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
Was this the most heartbreaking non-playoff loss in Nationals history? I'm hard-pressed to recall one that tops this.