Author Topic: A sobering realization  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: A sobering realization
« Reply #75: July 22, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
Are you sure they were not making dinner plans? It was Stras's birthday after all. So here's what I think what was said:

Scherzer: Great, a short outing gives you a chance to rest up for the big birthday party I have planned for you tonight.
Stras: What, you planned a party? I told you I didn't want a big party. I just want to chill out.
Scherzer. You mean I went through this effort, made reservations, invited a boatload of people, and now you're not into it?
Stras: That's your problem, not mine.
Scherzer: We need to talk, man. Let's go into the clubhouse.
I just can't stand all the speculation here.  :hysterical:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #76: July 22, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
I just can't stand all the speculation here.  :hysterical:

Hey, we all have our opinions on what was said. ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #77: July 22, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
Hey, we all have our opinions on what was said. ;)
Just jabbing you. See how much fun it is to speculate.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #78: July 22, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
Just jabbing you. See how much fun it is to speculate.

It's much more fun to make fun of speculation.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #79: July 22, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
It's much more fun to make fun of speculation.

Uncle Ray - “it’s a small deal “.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #80: July 22, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
They just replayed the entire event on MASN.  They were clearly arguing about which restaurant. Stras wanted Italian. Scherzer, Asian.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #81: July 22, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
They just replayed the entire event on MASN.  They were clearly arguing about which restaurant. Stras wanted Italian. Scherzer, Asian.

It's Stras's birthday so he should choose.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #82: July 22, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
It's Stras's birthday so he should choose.
I think he said something along those lines like "whose birthday is it anyway" but I couldn't read the lips quite well enough.

Offline Optics

« Reply #83: July 22, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
Its a bad year for sure, but it happens sometimes. The Caps winning the Cup is kinda giving me a free pass on the other teams in town for at least a year or two.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #84: July 22, 2018, 09:42:20 PM »
Its a bad year for sure, but it happens sometimes. The Caps winning the Cup is kinda giving me a free pass on the other teams in town for at least a year or two.

I hear ya brother...  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #85: July 22, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
 :thumbs:

Caps and my Eagles won also. Been a good 2018 already.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #86: July 23, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
These guys are over. Enjoy the ride back to mediocrity with the worst team money can buy.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #87: July 23, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »
It's like "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain" with this starting staff nowadays. And our "Sain" (Stras) is even dicey at this point with his near 4.00 ERA.

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #88: July 23, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
It's like "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain" with this starting staff nowadays. And our "Sain" (Stras) is even dicey at this point with his near 4.00 ERA.
Here in New England some remember. But they didn't have the hitters (on paper).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #89: July 23, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »

They would a few years later.     :)

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #90: July 23, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »
They would a few years later.     :)
Eddie Matthews!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #91: July 23, 2018, 12:09:28 PM »
Eddie Matthews!

Hank too.     

I was a big 3rd baseman fan growin' up (played third in LL).    I remember being so disappointed that a great third baseman would bat left handed.    :)

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #92: July 23, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
The Brewers have lost 9 of 11

If the Nats get swept again or lose 2 of 3 they can not only turn out the lights, lock the doors  but pull up the drawbridge 

Offline hotshot

« Reply #93: July 23, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »

The 1948 Boston Braves won the NL pennant and drew 1.5 million in attendance (that put them 1st in the NL). Sain won 24, Spahn, 15. Lost to the Indians in the WS, 4-2.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #94: July 23, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »
I've followed Washington baseball for many years. I've seen Cecil Travis, Dutch Leonard, and Mickey Vernon play. Got Early Wynn's autograph, and caught a foul ball off the bat of Connie Marrero.

Recently I think I saw on a MASN TV game, Ryan Zimmerman very casually and very carefully filing his fingernails in the dugout during the game. I am old and may have been imagining it, but I have never seen this before. It was my sobering realization that I don't think this team is into it.

Welcome to the forum fla nat.

I'm going to post a couple of comments here from nospinzone, who was an early forum contributor but who passed away a few years ago. He was of Cuban heritage and knew a great many of the Cuban Nats from back in the day.  He was half blind so he typed in ALL-CAPS so he could see, though he would have loved the Capitals big win this year.  Your mention of Connie Marrero is what triggered me looking for a couple of these posts.

I thought Robert Estalella was dead. He played with the Senators around world war II and after his baseball career he was working in the washington area as a butcher.

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALES: Played with the Cardinals; third base coach; unforgettable the world series where he gave the green light to Enos Slaughter to score the winning run. Slaughter scored from first base on a single.

ROBERTO ORTIZ: Also played with the Senators around World War II. He was from a sugar cane area near my hometown. He was discovered when people alerted a scout of a cuban winter league team that he could kill birds in flight with rocks.

MINNIE MINOSO: MET him when he played a short time with the expansion Senators. fearless outfielder, always crashing into walls, which he also did here. Very nice fellow.

CONRADO (CONNIE) MARRERO: MET him in Havana when I was working there briefly waiting for our family visa. He would hold court near where I worked before going to the ballpark on a bus. He was frugal that way. Then when we came to the States in 1954, we reacquainted at the barbershop owned by a cuban fellow. He would ride to Griffith Stadium in the streetcar.

CARLOS (PATATO) PASCUAL: CAMILO'S older brother. had a cup of tea with the Senators but quit in the middle of the season because he was homesick for his girlfriend, who he married.

CARLOS PAULA: MET HIM ALSO WHEN WITH SENATORS. THE REASON HE KEPT BEING SENT DOWN TO TRIPLE A WAS THAT HE HAD A DRINKING PROBLEM AND THEY WOULD NOT PUT UP WITH IT HERE.

JULIO BECQUER: ONE OF THE NICEST PERSONS I HAVE EVR MET. SLICK FIELDING FIRST BASEMAN. TEACHER IN CUBA IN THE OFFSEASON.

ZOILO VERSALLES: SMART ASS PERSON. MY FATHER COULD NOT STAND HIM AND WHEN PASCUAL LIVED IN OUR HOUSE MY FATHER ASKED CAMILO NOT TO INVITE HIM TO VISIT.

PAUL CASANOVA: ANOTHER PRINCE OF A GUY. GRET WITH KIDS AND FANS. CROWD FAVORITE.

PEDRO RAMOS: LADIES MAN. LUCKY PITCHER. WITTY

JOSE VALDIVIELSO: VERY NICE SHY GUY. HAD A DRINKING PROBLEM.

KIM, TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THAT WE CAME TO WASHINGTON THE SAME YEAR. HIS ROOKIE YEAR AND WE MET THE VERY START OF THE SEASON SINCE CONNIE MARRERO HAD LINKED ME WITH THE CUBAN BARBERSHOP WHERE ON TOP CAMILO AND MARRERO HAD ROOMS. CAMILO AND I WERE LIKE SIAMESE TWINS. WE WERE ABOUT THE SAME AGE. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US WAS THAT THE WAS A BIG LEAGUE PLAYER WITH BIG BUCKS FOR THE TIME AND I DID NOT EVEN HAD A JOB. HARD TO FIND ONE WITH BROKEN ENGLISH. AFTER HE GOT MARRIED MY BROTHER AND I TALKED MY PARENTS INTO RENTING THEM A ROOM. I MARVEL AT HOW A KID FROM A SMALL CITY IN CUBA COULD HAVE LED SUCH A CHARMING LIFE IN MY YOUNG YEARS. WHEN I FOUND A STEAD JOB AT THE ASSOCIATED PRESS AS A COPYBOY I USED TO GO TO THE GAMES WITH THE PHOTOGRAPHER COVERING THE GAME. WITH HIM I HAD ACCESS TO THE PRESS BOX, FREE FOOD, FREE BEER. LATER WHEN I BECAME A TELETYPE OPERATOR AT THE AP WE WERE ASSIGNED , ON A UNION BIDDING PROCESS TO WORK THE GAMES WHEN IN THOSE DAYS THE AP CARRIED THE GAMES TO THE VISITING TEAM BY TELETYPE, DICTATED PLAY BY PLAY BY THE WASHINGTON STAR BEAT PERSON. FREE PARKING, OVERTIME PAY, FREE FOOD, FREE BEER. WHAT A COUNTRY!

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #95: July 24, 2018, 04:35:08 AM »
Tom, please consider grouping these under a separate new thread such as "Senators Old Timers. Fun.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #96: July 24, 2018, 07:57:22 AM »
These guys never should have shut glass cannon Strasburg down in 2012.  Sobering realization is this is going to end up being the worst team money can buy.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #97: July 24, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »
These guys are over. Enjoy the ride back to mediocrity with the worst team money can buy.
Worse than the Orioles?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #98: July 24, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
These guys never should have shut glass cannon Strasburg down in 2012.  Sobering realization is this is going to end up being the worst team money can buy.
some of those Carl Everett, Jose Offerman, John Valentin Red Sox teams were pretty expensive and awful.  2001 / 2002 era. 

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #99: July 24, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
Anent Sobering Realization #27, the overactive DL: I post for general info the remarks of four friends (CW is a baseball author). I feel for the Mets guy--for about three minutes.

WK (Mets fan): "Thor has foot/hoof/mouth disease (HONEST!); Cespedes can't play after clobbering a homer on Friday as DH -- hurts too much from (surprise) calcification on both heels that needs surgery (10 months  recovery at what, $7 million/year?); most of the team is near or below the Mendoza Line. AS MW wrote earlier, "I'm cheering for a team whose season ended in April."

CA: "In my view, one explanation for the widespread fragility of today multi-millionaire players is their damned agents. Agents advise them not to play with the tiniest hurts and then find a physician who agrees. Syndegaard ought to stay away from nasty kids, or maybe he hangs out with cattle too much."

MW: "I have long thought that a partial solution to these DL multimillionaires is to do away with multi year contracts. So if you’re coming  off a .300, 30 HR, 30 SB year, the sky’s the limit—e.g. $50 or $100 million, but for one year only. If during the upcoming yr you’re DL'd a lot and yr statistics revert to the norm, then tough luck on the contract for the year after that, as the money also reverts to the norm. Of course, getting the union to agree to that would be like expecting Strasburg to win 20."

TG: "Well, some of these issues may speak to broader problems in the national pastime, but all I know is that only the Mets lose players to hoof-and-mouth disease and spinal stenosis. Do many teams lose a player for months because he hurt his shoulder swinging a bat? And the Red Sox thought THEY were cursed!"